What "man jobs" have you done today?

What's the best way to join these two up?

shower-waste.jpg

I'm thinking this:

Is there a better way? The waste pipe could go a bit higher but not by much as I don't want to introduce too big a fall.

It's really tricky to find this topic online, everyone focuses on fitting the trap itself, very few people seem to query this connection/pipework.

Edit - the two aren't at the same level, hence looking at how to connect the two and keep the fall in the waste:

shower-waste2a.jpg

Last edited:

shower-waste.jpg

I'm thinking this:

Is there a better way? The waste pipe could go a bit higher but not loads as I don't want to introduce too high a fall.
Easiest way would be to put them together:)

shower-waste.jpg

I'm thinking this:

Is there a better way? The waste pipe could go a bit higher but not by much as I don't want to introduce too big a fall.

It's really tricky to find this topic online, everyone focuses on fitting the trap itself, very few people seem to query this connection/pipework.

The EASIEST way would be a flexi something like you've indicated. Are you making the shower raise or at floor level? Good opportunity to not have one of those awful raised shower trays.

The best way would be to use some solvent weld fittings. You're not meant to do more 1:40 drop but given it's so close to the outlet it could be easily rodded/cleaned.

Also I'd recommend mcalpine shower traps over any that come free with the tray.

The EASIEST way would be a flexi something like you've indicated. Are you making the shower raise or at floor level? Good opportunity to not have one of those awful raised shower trays.

The best way would be to use some solvent weld fittings. You're not meant to do more 1:40 drop but given it's so close to the outlet it could be easily rodded/cleaned.

Also I'd recommend mcalpine shower traps over any that come free with the tray.

Tray has to be raised, else half the house has to come apart, and that's not happening.

I'm not against solvent but how do you ensure the right angle?

The shower trap is a Mira one that came with the Mira tray, it looks decent.

Surely it will block up if it's a 90 degree bend straight out of the trap?

Flexi seems like the only way in my (uneducated) head?

Last edited:
Stacked the freshly split logs .

They easily go three deep with some gap for airflow

IMG20240623135328.jpg

Got 2 and a bit "bays" done which goes to show how much the big store holds

IMG20240623154922.jpg

IMG20240623154954.jpg

As well as the usual spiders, wood louse and other creepy crawlies, I came across a few of these too

IMG20240623150603.jpg

As you can see it's a bit of a sun trap and will be sore and likely burnt tomorrow

IMG20240623154931.jpg

Last barrow of sweeping and a gnarly piece for the woo and area

IMG20240623154937.jpg

Swept and tidied and moved some old pots behind the gazebo

Just need to get rid of the men at work sign ( :( ) old bbq and incinerator now

IMG20240623160912.jpg

Certainly have wood now

1000072965-01.jpg

IMG20240623160905.jpg

It's whether a get a small load to fill up bay three, the medium store by the kitchen (above) and small store 4 (empty) in the front verandah - hmmmmm :D

I'm not against solvent but how do you ensure the right angle?
I'm no plumber, but flexi seems easiest.

I'm guessing here, but wouldn't you have to secure the long waste pipe in place somehow, e.g. with a bracket. I mean, how are you going to get stability in this downpipe otherwise, if it is just attached to flexi? Then, you can attach the flexi to it. The trick would be to get the right length of flexi, so that it is reasonably taught and doesn't create a u-bend. I guess some flexis will have more rigidity than others too. If necessary, you could cut a bit off the long down pipe, so you can use a longer flexi length, so the angle in the flexi is shallower. Take this advice with caution as I've never fitted a bathroom :cry:

I'm no plumber, but flexi seems easiest.

I'm guessing here, but wouldn't you have to secure the long waste pipe in place somehow, e.g. with a bracket. I mean, how are you going to get stability in this downpipe otherwise, if it is just attached to flexi? Then, you can attach the flexi to it. The trick would be to get the right length of flexi, so that it is reasonably taught and doesn't create a u-bend. I guess some flexis will have more rigidity than others too. If necessary, you could cut a bit off the long down pipe, so you can use a longer flexi length, so the angle in the flexi is shallower. Take this advice with caution as I've never fitted a bathroom :cry:

Yeah, exactly that, you have clips to hold it in place, flexi is also flexible in length so best not to cut too much pipe until all is clear. Previously the waste pipe was simply raised and sat on top of pyramids of plasterboard!!

I don't see any other way. I'm not looking for the easiest/bodgiest option, I'm looking for other options but I can't see any - other than literally pulling apart the entire house to fit shower to the floor.

Last edited:
Mist coated the new plaster in the youngests bedroom yesterday then started painting today. Ceiling done then after finishing one wall I realised I’d maybe just enough for the other long wall but it might be tight.

I then certainly had less than needed after I yerted the pot on the floor/wall…good thing the wall to the right is going for a darker blue

Last edited:
Rewired the kids bedroom. I've been told not to go OTT on this one so in the fullness of time I'll be insulating the window wall, changing the ceiling and swapping the floorboards. Wife is anxious we are getting close to birth time tho so I'm not going to fight her wishes this time :cry:

3 more doubles with the ring extended and looped for the built in wardrobes, also 3 internet's and 3 coaxials:

T6XK5Xe.jpeg

Plan is to paper as seen and fit a picture rail.

New kids room is tier 1 Comms and services now:
waqMiKq.jpeg

I'll run these into the attic when I get 5...

rdzNYE9.jpeg

Plan is to...
0. Plaster chases in.
1. Scrape the final bits of paper of the section above
2. Build base for wardrobe and swap it from current position to RHS
3. Remove radiator and finish stripping other side
4. Final polyfill then paint the ceiling/down to picture rail.
5. Wallpaper
6. Skirting
7. Swap door over to hang other way
8. Carpet

Flexi pipe is known for this in general. If it's not opaque then rats can be attracted to the light also, and crawl up to get out...
Oh great, the council fitted a flexy pipe on my mums bathroom and its now a wet room, so no way to get to the pipe if something like that happens.

They also fitted a low threshold composite door and then concreted over the drain hole, so water comes inside when it rains heavy. They also used normal plasterboards for the bathroom, dot and dabbed over the old plaster so the room is smaller and moisture will end up getting behind it in a few years and I'm going to have to re-do it for her. It was 3 different contractors working for the council and all 3 did terrible work. I complained, but they just tried to blag me that it is done right and I ended up giving up in the end. She got the work done for free, so its not like we can withhold payment.

Oh great, the council fitted a flexy pipe on my mums bathroom and its now a wet room, so no way to get to the pipe if something like that happens.

They also fitted a low threshold composite door and then concreted over the drain hole, so water comes inside when it rains heavy. They also used normal plasterboards for the bathroom, dot and dabbed over the old plaster so the room is smaller and moisture will end up getting behind it in a few years and I'm going to have to re-do it for her. It was 3 different contractors working for the council and all 3 did terrible work. I complained, but they just tried to blag me that it is done right and I ended up giving up in the end. She got the work done for free, so its not like we can withhold payment.
Difficult one isn't it. My mum has been in a council flat 35 years and done lots of her own decorating, maintenance, improvements etc. But when they did an estate wide kitchen refit she had to fight the entire way through to retain her kitchen layout and not have them plonk in the generic one. There were a few quality issues she had to sort IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom