What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Oh great, the council fitted a flexy pipe on my mums bathroom and its now a wet room, so no way to get to the pipe if something like that happens.

They also fitted a low threshold composite door and then concreted over the drain hole, so water comes inside when it rains heavy. They also used normal plasterboards for the bathroom, dot and dabbed over the old plaster so the room is smaller and moisture will end up getting behind it in a few years and I'm going to have to re-do it for her. It was 3 different contractors working for the council and all 3 did terrible work. I complained, but they just tried to blag me that it is done right and I ended up giving up in the end. She got the work done for free, so its not like we can withhold payment.

Yeah, that means they'll get the same job again in 3 years time. Easy money :mad:

Soldato
I'm paranoid about rats now @LuckyBenski

Which has resulted in me finding this jobby: https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast...mm/12007#product_additional_details_container

Edit: seems like I'm being a derp, this is what I need to do, with a couple of 45 degree bends!

45s.jpg

Simples...

Rat-free, too!
Yes do something like that but all you need is solvent weld fittings straight into the trap, you don't need what you linked.

Associate

Got the pressure washer out on the patio. Didnt think it had got that bad in 5 years, but there was definitley a green coating too it. Looks a lot lighter and brighter now after a quick re-sand.

Need to do the drive now, which is about 4 times the size but its a lot easier to move the stuff thats on it!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 4y/o with a grudge ever since I integrated the fridge. I could have made her entire room a magnet board!

Can't you DIY her a board?

Yeah I would make up a board and paint it with blackboard paint over the top of that gypsum stuff so she can use it to draw on with chalk as well as stick crap to :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I know celotex insulation for instance can (in my plasterers words) **** your WiFi signal. I imagine this might be similar?
Proper tinfoil hat then! Have you sorted out how you are going to clad your garden room? It is soul destroying adding up the prices lol. I am tempted to do featheredge it now!

Associate
Why did nobody tell me this existed?

PtmjQVR.png

That's been around for many years - I tried it with several thicknesses on a sheet of plasterboard as a test at my last home and we moved 7 years ago. It was okay but I found it was better when applied much thicker than a normal skim coat.

In the end I never used it on the home office I was considering it for due to the potential to mark the wall finish with the magnets and I still wanted large whiteboard areas so just went with a large magnetic white board.

Soldato
Proper tinfoil hat then! Have you sorted out how you are going to clad your garden room? It is soul destroying adding up the prices lol. I am tempted to do featheredge it now!
aye good for avoiding the 5g rays. yes I think I'm going to go for this:

where was your steel from again? and I'm just emailing bapp fixings for a quote...

Soldato
aye good for avoiding the 5g rays. yes I think I'm going to go for this:

where was your steel from again? and I'm just emailing bapp fixings for a quote...
I've just chanced a trade account sign up there for the same thing in a different colour. I can only afford the front tho lol. Will do sides and rear in featheredge at this rate.

Yeah bapp in Leicester. Really great guy I'll ping you my order / print screen.

Steal was metals4u but I've found out since I was ripped off lol. Cheaper places I'll try and dig out.

That's been around for many years - I tried it with several thicknesses on a sheet of plasterboard as a test at my last home and we moved 7 years ago. It was okay but I found it was better when applied much thicker than a normal skim coat.

In the end I never used it on the home office I was considering it for due to the potential to mark the wall finish with the magnets and I still wanted large whiteboard areas so just went with a large magnetic white board.
Are you saying the fact it was magnetic was a downside? Why else would you use magnetic plaster lol?

Edit! Oh gotcha now lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just chanced a trade account sign up there for the same thing in a different colour. I can only afford the front tho lol. Will do sides and rear in featheredge at this rate.

Yeah bapp in Leicester. Really great guy I'll ping you my order / print screen.

Steal was metals4u but I've found out since I was ripped off lol. Cheaper places I'll try and dig out.

Are you saying the fact it was magnetic was a downside? Why else would you use magnetic plaster lol?

Edit! Oh gotcha now lol.

Oh aye that would be good. I think I require the below. I was going to go galvanized rather than BZP and overengineer. to be honest was half tempted to consider stainless because if the tie rots away it will be a *******!

• 24mm threaded rod (grade 8.8) -1000mm length - Galvanised Steel
  • 100m x 100mm x 10mm large metal washer - Galvanised Steel
  • Mild steel channel 100mm x 50mm. You will need a piece 150mm - Galvanised steel
  • nuts for the 24mm threaded rod (grade 8.8 Galvanised steel)

as for my cladding yes I was going to do the same. Front only in the nice material I posted above, the sides/rear will be in the below:

Back
Top Bottom