What "man jobs" have you done today?

Wouldnt that be a good thing? The dust is there regardless so its better to be caught in the carper and vacuumed up meaning less lands on other surfaces.... Or am I thinking too practically? :confused:
Hmm maybe. But it was like those dust balls you saw on hall floors. Felt like you were electrostatic all the time. This was a super cheap carpet tho so maybe not even poly.

My experience with pure poly was it attracts dust like mad due to the static. Any idea if it's improved or I was maybe thinking of a different material?
I’ve got cats so I vacuum daily anyway. Which leads me nicely on to today’s man job. Dyson V11 stopped working, the lever for the trigger cracked. Dyson sent me a whole new body but I have a spare for when it happens again.

YJyBfWS.jpeg

Added double layer lazy Susan to the table I made with a load of the off cuts I had.

Edit: I still need to make the lifting handles from aluminium at some point

Last edited:
I tidied up behind the builders. Anyone interested in yet another single story extension log?
Yeah for sure (y)

-----------

Had an unexpected delivery from MM. It arrived with the largest fork lift ever:
6dBp6Xk.jpg

Lucky I was due back from being away for work so managed to put it away this evening. Bargain at 300 quid delivered for 13 boards - even beat my "dodgy" builders yard :D

Been on garage flat roof after seeing a load of moss last time. - Got up there and moss had died -It was all black and dead.
So got sieve and coal hand shovel and scooped it into sieve -gave a few shakes and put moss in bucket. Garage is big enough to get my Focus in with shelves either side and work bench across rear.
Cleared that then brushed it as even as I could get it.
Today went up again and gave roof and house roof joining it a good spray of moss killer,

Good job done for now - will do rest of roof later in year as the moss I thought I had seen on main roof was big black spots.

Such a relief to see it wasn't half the job I thought it was going to be. :)

Last edited:
Just isn't enough hours in the day! Managed to get the doors in - I now know heal and toe, lol. I'm not sure they are perfect but seem OK. I still need to put the gasket on the inside so fingers crossed we don't get some crazy gale force wind.

I also, finally, thank god, glued the roof and got the final roof trimmers on. It looks mighty fine. Just need to patch that final bit of OSB and then get the slate battens on. I think because of the height of the door, decking is a no brainer.

xfmzBif.jpg

for scale, the doors are 3M bi-folds by 2M high.

SU3gWAE.jpg

7hCZfzN.jpg

Almost went to say I mowed the lawn but actually - I got the lawnmower started and showed my partner how to work it. It's very knackered and tends to seize/not start easily, so I periodically went over and restarted it for her. She's quite strong but the starter is rusty!

Then I weeded the patio while she mowed :p
You're definitely Lucky Benski that your partner helps with this sort of stuff. You could have a nice little enterprise renting her out to help around other people's homes

Really broken now - just packed up and was told to do a marketplace run :cry:. Saved £50 quid on some IKEA stuff tho.

Spent the day getting the wardrobes faux-fitted. I've been collecting PAX from marketplace since I moved in (18mos). Managed to get a 1000mm with 3 drawers+basket+2 shelves+rail for ~£50 about 18 months ago. Finally fitted it today!

1N0mwda.jpg

Basic base out of leftover C24 5x2; this lets me get a perfect level without messing with the IKEA feet. It also gives me enough height to run the future skirting along the front. I have extended the ring whcih you can see by the rear of the frame which I'll add a socket to later; didn't fancy chasing the chimney breast incase I went through :cry:

9GMDbNl.jpg

Repeated on the other side, and the 1000mm storage PAX built. I can squeeze a 50 on the left, but the door may foul so TBC what to do there (it is a 54cm gap).

Right hand side is annoyingly 48.5; so 1.5 too small for a 50cm PAX and the door would be a pain anyway. I think you can get a matching Billy in 47cm tho.

Ring also extended to the left one with cat6 and COAX too.

Next job is probably ceiling and picture rail, then I can paper. Oh, and learn carpets still :mad::o

Repeated on the other side, and the 1000mm storage PAX built. I can squeeze a 50 on the left, but the door may foul so TBC what to do there (it is a 54cm gap).

Right hand side is annoyingly 48.5; so 1.5 too small for a 50cm PAX and the door would be a pain anyway. I think you can get a matching Billy in 47cm tho.

Ring also extended to the left one with cat6 and COAX too.

Next job is probably ceiling and picture rail, then I can paper. Oh, and learn carpets still :mad::o

For the left - Could you swap the doors out for slifing (albeit might be cost prohibitive?

Else just make it one big sliding wardrobe along the entire wall with the middle but a little less deep than the others - put shelves in it?

Paid a man to put the carpet down, too hot for doing man jobs myself.

Just need to stick the curtain poles up and make the furniture.
Bed made, curtains up, pipe snaps on manky old painted rad pipes, carcasses of wardrobe up, just need to let them settle on the carpet with weight in them for a few days and I'll attach to the walls and fit them out.

Curtains and lampshade are temp until I find something more fitting (not grey).

Last edited:
Oh great, the council fitted a flexy pipe on my mums bathroom and its now a wet room, so no way to get to the pipe if something like that happens.

They also fitted a low threshold composite door and then concreted over the drain hole, so water comes inside when it rains heavy. They also used normal plasterboards for the bathroom, dot and dabbed over the old plaster so the room is smaller and moisture will end up getting behind it in a few years and I'm going to have to re-do it for her. It was 3 different contractors working for the council and all 3 did terrible work. I complained, but they just tried to blag me that it is done right and I ended up giving up in the end. She got the work done for free, so its not like we can withhold payment.
We've just had our upstairs bathroom ripped out (massive, persistent leaks due to previous poor tiling job, literally straight over the old tiles, 1970's Trigger's Broom toilet held together mainly by Plumber's Mait & white Duck Tape), kitchen ripped out & replaced (we asked to pay for better quality, but refused), all done with an attitude of "Well, it ain't my house and you're not exactly paying for it"...

And the logical next step in the renovations is to pull down the asbestos-riddled artex ceiling in the whole, open-plan kitchen/diner/lounge (yes, immediately after installing the new kitchen), fix the entire upstairs squeaky subfloor (damaged by the leaking bathroom) from underneath, reboard and replaster, whilst simultaneously replacing the bubbled flat roof I'd posted about previously...

Yes, it's a council house.
No, I'm not being billed for the works.

But surely I should be allowed a reasonable expectation that the works be done competently and without disrespect or being patronised in the process..?

Over the last couple of weekends I started the front garden project... some numpty decided this property was to be built with 18 inches of granite based concrete everywhere!

Original wall with separate gate and winding path to the house (path had already been removed in this pic)

The Path of thickness!

Hilti goes smash!

Path got deleted

Wall part one Gone

Blocks salvaged from the wall, each cleaned of the old mortar so they can be reused. The low wall in the bottom of this pic will be rebuilt using the blocks left over from the external wall to give it a cleaner look and mean my son has less to render!

New wall taking shape (BBQ and beers stopped play this day)

New wall complete (just ned the wife to decide on new capstones

The next target, driveway top be smashed up and rebuilt then toped with block paving

Target of the task was to rebuild the wall as it had been hit several times (going by the cracks and state of the piler next to the driveway). Remove the path as it took up so much room. Widen the drive a little and add a path along side the drive, and potentially give us another parking space behind the wall if required.

Area marked for block paving

Gravel area will be edged with block pavers to match the driveway

Last edited:
Hey all Plz help. Where is the quickest/easiest way to get a replacement blade for one of these?

My mini pruning chainsaw has gone dull and as you can tell I'm a bit of an amateur.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom