What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Not so much "today", but this has been my project over the last couple of weeks:

My knife handle broke :(

vIf08s7.jpeg

While the knife is nothing special, I've had it for about 10 years, the steel seems pretty good as it holds a nice edge, and I like the shape.

Rather than send it to landfill and buy a new one, I decided it would be a fun little project to repair, so straight on Ebay to buy some wood offcuts.

Meanwhile, time to start preparing it:

Some cardboard to protect the edge (and my hands!), and then the whole blade wrapped in masking tape to protect it in the vice:

9rmUd9m.jpeg

Hack off the rest of the handle material with a hacksaw, chisel etc.:

eAeYA3d.jpeg

Looks a bit rusty (there were a few cracks in the plastic handle before, so I guess some water got in.

A few minutes of attacking it with a wire brush in the drill later:

DETk182.jpeg

Got wood?! From left to right: English walnut, curly burr walnut, African blackwood:

aff9PSd.jpeg

Since I basically had no idea what I was doing other than what I'd gleaned from internet forums, Youtube videos, watching too many episodes of Forged in Fire, and growing up in a family of woodworkers, I decided to go with the (relatively) cheap stuff for my first effort, in case I completely ****** it up.

Cut the block of wood in half, and then took another knife from the same set, and traced the handle onto the wood, time to start attacking it with the rasp & drill:

dGaSwml.jpeg

Some time later:

DbrsdTr.jpeg

3X82j7k.jpeg

I was "in the zone", so forgot to take photos of the next couple of steps, but I decided to burn-in the tang to get a decent fit, basically involves drilling the handle slightly too small, then heating the tang with a torch, and shoving the handle on so it burns out the correct size hole - cue lots of smoke; burning walnut smells lovely :)

As you can see from the photos, the tang already had some holes in it.

On the plus side, this meant I didn't have to worry about drilling holes through hardened steel without a drill press (next on the shopping list!).
On the down side, this meant that perfectly lining up the hole in the handle was pretty difficult - I got close, but was out by ~0.5mm. Not a lot, but enough to mean the brass pin wasn't centred in the hole :(

A lot of sanding later and I got a shape I was happy with.

Cut a bit of 4.5mm brass rod down to size (a few mm bigger than necessary), and annealed one end (heat to red hot with a torch, then a quench in water), then peened it over. I then annealed the other end, ready to peen once everything was in place.

Made sure everything fit correctly, filled the handle with epoxy (I used JB Weld), put in the tang, put the pin through, then peened the other end. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get this perfectly round, so definitely need more practice there!

Then to wait 24 hours for it to set.

Carefully filed off the excess epoxy, then set to work on the final shaping and finishing, ending up with this (yes, that's car rubbing compound and bodywork polish - seemed to work well enough, and it was all I had whilst waiting for some proper stuff :cry:) :

Qpnmxea.jpeg

gxr0cyD.jpeg

To be honest, I wasn't really happy with the result, because of the off-centre hole, and my poor peening skills, you can see the grey epoxy on the side of the pin.

gxr0cyD.jpeg

After deliberating for a couple of days, I decided to risk ruining the whole thing and change the design slightly - it's not a bug, it's a "feature" :p

So I carefully drilled out the pin, ground away the grey epoxy from around it, and also scraped the epoxy out from the join between the handle and bolster. I then drilled a larger hole a few mm deep around the existin pin hole, trying to keep it centralised.

I cut a new piece of brass rod, and didn't peen it this time.

Made up some clear epoxy with turquoise mica powder, put the new pin in, and then using a syringe, filled the surrounding hole, and the join between handle and bolster. The epoxy was supposedly 24 hour, but it took more like 36, and I had to top it up a couple of times; all in all it was around 5 days before it was ready to continue - that was yesterday.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday filing off the excess epoxy and getting the new pin flush, then lots of sanding, starting at 320 grit and working up to 3000 grit for a lovely smooth finish. Also polished up the bolster as it had gotten a bit scratched up with all the other sanding & filing.

Final step - an overnight soak in mineral oil for some protection against water ingress (although it's quite a dense wood anyway), and this is what I had this morning after rubbing off the excess oil:

JuKvUKc.jpeg

pl2IRbI.jpeg

Going to give it a final buff at lunchtime with some beeswax to seal it, and then it's done :)

I'm still not completely happy with it - one side has turned out really nicely, but the hole in the other side isn't perfect. I'm - let's say "satisfied" - as a first effort, but I think I can do better next time.

The epoxy also hasn't polished up as much as I thought/hoped for, despite spending quite some time on it with the fine sandpaper and polishing compound. Don't know if it's the epoxy I used, too much/little mica powder, or that's just how it is and I had unrealistic expectations.

Lessons learned:

A) It's a kitchen knife, to be perfectly honest it probably doesn't need the pin, the JB Weld is rock solid, and it's not like I'm going to be hacking away at things with it. It would be a lot neater without, although... would it look boring?
B) Hand drilling precision holes by hand is haaaaard! Get a drill press.
C) When you only have an hour lunch, spending 15 minutes getting everything out to start work, and another 15 minutes to put them away is frustrating, as is having bits and pieces lying around the house while epoxy sets etc. I need a permanent workspace.
D) Don't be afraid to take a step back, rethink, and try something new.

My next project is repeating the process, but making the knife itself, by grinding it out of an old file - should be a fun experience! I'd love to be able to actually forge it from scratch, but I have neither a forge or anvil (yet... ;))

Actually, before that, the next project is:

Clearing out the shed to use as a workshop
Building a decent workbench
Attacking my rusty old vice with a wire brush and some new paint
Edit: buying a drill press!

Last edited:
Soldato
Love that. At the end of the day it's a very personal thing so all the "imperfections" really just make it even more your knife :)

@famas had a lovely thread on tools he was making that I think you'd enjoy.
Is that the chap who made a plane from scratch?

Edit: Yes it was, amazing stuff!

Last edited:
Associate
Not a man job I've done more a man job I've got to do. Just had the news the daughter's pregnant again so I've got to get a few rooms sorted before we start the extra baby sitting duties:)

Soldato
8am last Friday I made sure the Scaffies didn't have to navigate around any small, brown, smelly landmines in the wasteland we call a garden, then watched jealously as the team of 8 strapping lads threw up a Manly Climbing Frame around the house, creating a safe work-zone for the Roofers due next week.

Offered them the contents of the fridge (too hot for tea/coffee), which was quickly taken advantage of when the Boss (my Boss, not their boss) announced she was making bacon & egg sarnies...

30 minutes later, they got straight back to work, as I imagined my chiropractor mate will make an absolute killing in the next few years.

By 4pm, they had an enclosed tower on the end of terrace (on the adjacent pavement) and supporting structures front & rear. I was impressed that the lad leading the work had the courtesy to ask how wide my wheelchair was, so he could make sure I had clearance up the ramp to my front door.

Fencing was put up around the climbing tower to secure it from the local "shaved-chimps-kicked-through-Sports-Direct" and they gave us a knock to let us know they're off, so we could lock up the back gates.

0800 on Saturday, the boss (their boss, not my Boss) came out with a spirit level, double checking all the supports. He wasn't happy with something, so he gave me a call, apologised for disturbing my weekend lay-in (as if!), and said he needed to do a little more work on the structure, if we didn't mind?

3 lads were round by 0845, who worked til 12pm tightening, checking, putting stabilising plates under every vertical post touching the ground, then re-securing the structure.

At one point during their overtime, two of their impact driver batteries died, so I offered my charger and let them borrow my 18V Makita battery, so they weren't down to just one Ugga-Dugga between them...

...so I guess you could say, "technically", I helped.

Really, really impressed by the whole gang's work ethic, consideration for others and their patience in answering all my many autistic "Quick question..?"

Last edited:
Soldato
Chaps, are these meant to be serviceable? The top plastic bit? My hive trv collar was on tight and I hadn't realised I was turning the whole thing. It weeped but I was able to kink it back up. Seems fine just being cautious?

p0PGeNR.jpeg

Soldato
Looks good. Brace yourself for the lesser-spotted-roofer :cry: Although typically scaff blokes are closer to knuckle draggers than roofers, so maybe you'll get lucky!
To be fair to the lads, apart from catching one in the middle of singing along to "I'm horny" on their site radio (I replied "better not be, I'm off on the school run!" which got a few giggles), all were polite and friendly. They even offered to do the washing up when handing back their bacon sarnie plates (I'm not sure how polite they'd have stayed if the Wife said, "Go on then..." :cry: )

The small firm is sub-ing to Portsmouth Council's biggest maintenance contract supplier (Mountjoy), so I wouldn't be surprised if the director that came round on the Saturday has given his crew a strict "Don't bugger this up by annoying the tenants" instructions, as the subcontract work can be extremely lucrative - our brother-in-law is a plumber/Gas Safe engineer who does Mountjoy's emergency call-outs from 6pm Fri - 7am Mon, at £375 a pop (& £90/hr + materials + VAT). He's pretty much stopped doing plumbing work Mon - Fri now (he also has a share of a national Bathroom showroom franchise). He's done very, very well out of it.

Soldato
Given the fantastic weather :rolleyes: all outdoor planned jobs for today are postponed ...

A long overdue job was freshening up the worktop in the utility room

Generally a bit faded and worn

IMG20240706095510.jpg

And a number of (mainly water) stains

IMG20240706094348.jpg

IMG20240706094350.jpg

IMG20240706095507.jpg

IMG20240706095503.jpg

Some were pretty stubborn and ended up pretty much doing the whole worktop

IMG20240706101403.jpg

Wiped it down

IMG20240706110424.jpg

Then realised the oil I had left wouldn't properly do more than a coat let alone 3+ and no white spirit to clean the surface before applying - doh!

None of the same oil in stock anywhere local so bit the bullet and Amazon primed a litre of oil and a few bottles.of white spirit, so will.have to wait until tomorrow - hey ho

Off to see what else is on the list ....

Caporegime
Bathroom extractor fan's on the blink, takes around a minute to start, makes a grating noise when it eventually does but runs perfectly when it's up to speed, so scoping out what's involved to replace it.

Looks like it's an old school Vent-Axia that's hidden within the ducting. It's currently installed right above the vent in the bathroom and is almost right against the eaves in the loft so minimal space to work with. Not entirely sure how a modern inline fan from Vent-Axia or Manrose is going to fit.

Could easily screw a board to the joists to give it a platform to sit on but it would be right over the vent so no room for the ducting. Replacing it with an axial fan seems logical but the extraction rates are really poor and my bathroom is mould central in the winter.

8 months later and it finally gave up the ghost and has now been replaced by a basic Manrose MF100.

Absolute ball ache to get in to place given I had zero room to play with but happy with the outcome.

Took best part of the whole day yesterday just to get the wood shelf in place, get the ducting connected and the extractor screwed down then an hour today to finish off.

Associate
Installed trucking and sockets for cat5e from front to rear of the house including sockets and a switch hidden in the media wall.

Took me a few tries to get the knack of wiring up the cables myself but was getting quicker with each one.

Now to replace the switch if not realised was only 100mbs and not 1gb as I first thought

Soldato
No pics, but other than the radiator drama no major progress other than I "deep filled" the chases for the new sockets/cat6/coaxial, and cleared off 90% of the remaining wood chip.

The paper has arrived, so tomorrow I intend to get some wallpaper up, but not sure my deepfill is sufficient to hide the undulations the deepfill has left (would typically skim now).

If I skim I'm not sure it'll dry enough, although it is just a tiny lick. I could chance some polyfill it's almost bang on as it is...

Also after almost 2 years, we had our first complaint from the neighbour about the constant noise. Fair :D

This is the last major in the house before migrating to the Garden Room interior fitout, so hopefully we'll all get a break from noise in the house :D

Caporegime
Man job? Not sure net curtains and bedding are man jobs but here I am. I know nets are old fashioned but it matches the 70s council house theme.

Just the wardrobes to fit out and I need to trim 1/4" off the bottom of the door so I can close it.

Quite pleased with how these turned out, I'll tweak the doors when they're loaded up with my crap.

Just a couple of bedside tables to sort and some decoration.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weather was shocking earlier and as I knew I was going to get wet anyway, decided to test run the new porous pipe.to.water the plants in the greenhouse ...

Got the pipe looped.in and staked into place

IMG20240706154532.jpg

IMG20240706161929.jpg

Pipe certainly let's the water out

IMG20240706170454.jpg

The jury is out as a solution but will test run through the week and see how we go

Weeded the front gravel area

IMG20240707135030.jpg

IMG20240707140407.jpg

Weather improved so gave the fence and (half) the railings a coat of paint

IMG20240707162735.jpg

IMG20240707175239.jpg

IMG20240707162739.jpg

IMG20240707175220.jpg

IMG20240707175227.jpg

IMG20240707175231.jpg

Will do the other half and give it all a second coat in the week :D

Back