What "man jobs" have you done today?

I had today and yesterday off, but I was really quite badly hungover Thurs lol. Managed to get a decent day in but no mega progress. Skirting board comes Monday which'll be good to get fitted if it comes early enough.

Picture rail up and ceiling painted tho (y). Other wardrobes come tomorrow which'll be fun and games (both need modding to fit the gap).

MM00mBh.jpg

dWJ2u6z.jpg

It was too late when I realised, but the light switch has no back box. Tempted to just cover it up given the door now opens the other way, and the Hue switch is in full control. Will probs do a bodger special and Gripfil some wood in it, and then use wood screws leftover from the door furniture kit.

A hue switch in a kids room? Surely that won’t stay there for long. It would get lost in our house. We use aquara light switches so they stay fixed to the wall.

A hue switch in a kids room? Surely that won’t stay there for long. It would get lost in our house. We use aquara light switches so they stay fixed to the wall.
She has been born into this - she actually doesn't know what a real switch is. :cry:

Other PAX arrived today. I need to clear out the new nursery so pace vs. quality (I would have liked to have bridged the cut bit on the left hand side; however it is bolted to the wall with those awesome plastic spacers so it is absolutely solid). A job for another day. The shelves don't come till 3pmish which'll add a bit more rigidity.

0Nr8Rqr.jpg

KBQ88oA.jpg

^ Quite pleased with this. I chopped 5cm off of the width so it'd fit nicely and allow for the handle. I was just going to glue and dowel it, but had a forstner bit handy and gave it a go. Looks factory.

Also, track saws are GOD TIER.

Off on our jollies early next Saturday and a long long list of "stuff" to do / finish off before we go, so was.up and about early this morning

So far today I've

Cut the grass

Cleaned out the chickens

Moved a load of stuff from around the garden into the garage

Used "wet n fix" pads to (hopefully) securely.fix the rawl plugs back into the wall where Mrs TB managed to pull the curtain rail off in her study then polyfilla'd ready for touching up the paint and screwing the bracket back on

IMG20240713085009.jpg

The re-re-re-re-re-redid the ******* porous pipe to the greenhouse and set up the tap timer to water the tomatoes, chilies and cucumbers while we're away

IMG20240713143822.jpg

IMG20240713143832.jpg

And before, during and after that lot applying coats of oil to the utility room worktop I sanded the other week

IMG20240713085533.jpg

Six coats in total, the final one is just drying now

IMG20240713143307.jpg

IMG20240713143311.jpg

I *think* that's about it for today and off out in a bit for a social and a few rounds of darts at a mates :D

Last edited:
Quite pleased with how these turned out, I'll tweak the doors when they're loaded up with my crap.

Just a couple of bedside tables to sort and some decoration.

Handles on, copied a trick off youtube about clamping a bit of wood on the back to avoid blowout because this pax stuff is prone to it. Went with the leather pulls as I wanted to keep the left unit's handle on the right and the metal ones I have would catch on the 160 degree hinges for the corner unit. Put in some motion activated lights too, only come on if it's dark enough too which saves battery.

I did get some nice bedside tables from Dunelm but the curved veneer sections on both were all cracked which was a shame, so I'll have to find something else (why the **** are bedside tables so expensive!!?!)

Last edited:
Found a small leak on my mains connection last night. I hate plumbing at the best of times, let alone mains stuff, so I've been a man about it and am going to leave it to the pros :)

ylOxDhR.png

You can't even really see it on the pic, but I've circled where it is, on the connection from the mains to the stopcock. The wife noticed it when her clean dishcloths she keeps under the sink were soaked. Looking at the Anglian Water app, it looks like it started some time on Friday and is using about 9 litres an hour. She rang an emergency plumber while I was out who said the earliest he could come was Monday morning, and would charge £370! :eek:. I went on CheckATrade and found a reputable local place that quoted £150-200, but would also be here on 8am on Monday. Hopefully he's not a complete cowboy.

I've wrapped it in Gorilla sealant tape for the moment and it seems to be holding, at least.

Last edited:
Not busy on a Monday 8am found via checkatrade hmmmmmmmmm I wonder if he's a cowboy :D
I do believe someone on here recently said their relative does council callout work and has ended up earning enough over the weekend that they don't bother going to work in the week!

Last edited:
I see you work at my pace! I cut some boards in 2022 to fit walls I'll build and insulate... Eventually

I've cut out nearly everything for a new ring I'm running (apart from wall lights) but I have to take apart a 4 tonne massive Rauch triple wardrobe and fit lockable wheels and then repeat it again on another 2 double wardrobes, which will be the only way I can move them around while doing the electrics, plasterboard and new floor.
This triple is going to kill me for sure :D

Not busy on a Monday 8am found via checkatrade hmmmmmmmmm I wonder if he's a cowboy :D
Turns out, not a cowboy at all. Turned up on time and had the mains off, old fitting disconnected, replaced and mains back on in 45mins. He did an extra job for me and replaced the stopcock as it was barely moving, but even then he was only just over half the price of the 'Emergency plumber'.

Last edited:
Turns out, not a cowboy at all. Turned up on time and had the mains off, old fitting disconnected, replaced and mains back on in 45mins. He did an extra job for me and replaced the stopcock as it was barely moving, but even then he was only just over half the price of the 'Emergency plumber'.
I'm glad for you! Had a nightmare with those sites.

---

I'm having an absolute mare with skirting board today. You can't make it up it's so daft.

Basically reordered what I had in my receipts from Wickes. Arrived. Cut down first length, my wallpaper isn't long enough. The f?

Turns out in October when I fitted the downstairs stuff, they mis delivered 14cm instead of 12cm...

So when I ordered 12 from Wickes 3rd party who was already 3 days late, I hadn't realised until it was too late. I'd sized the wallpaper on an offcut of 14.

Ended up destroying about 8 meters worth by taking 20mm off to join to the 12 so I didn't have issues with my wallpaper, lol....FFS.

Then realised I would have been way better with 12 all along, so I've ended up with some pretty sketchy butt-joints.....efff....

Anyways it roughly looks fine; the wardrobes could have looked better but it isn't like it looks terrible. And it's for a 4 year old!

vf4dAXV.jpeg

DsEyATH.jpeg

Cut around the chimney vent but have this pretty grim joint to the wardrobe. It'll all be covered by a dolls house anyway! Not sure of any better ways of tidying it up.

Annoyingly after all that joining the vent wasn't even level lol.

Also I painted the IKEA doors but the primer doesn't seem to be working....it still scratching super easily. Annoyed.

I'm glad for you! Had a nightmare with those sites.

---

I'm having an absolute mare with skirting board today. You can't make it up it's so daft.

Basically reordered what I had in my receipts from Wickes. Arrived. Cut down first length, my wallpaper isn't long enough. The f?

Turns out in October when I fitted the downstairs stuff, they mis delivered 14cm instead of 12cm...

So when I ordered 12 from Wickes 3rd party who was already 3 days late, I hadn't realised until it was too late. I'd sized the wallpaper on an offcut of 14.

Ended up destroying about 8 meters worth by taking 20mm off to join to the 12 so I didn't have issues with my wallpaper, lol....FFS.

Then realised I would have been way better with 12 all along, so I've ended up with some pretty sketchy butt-joints.....efff....

Anyways it roughly looks fine; the wardrobes could have looked better but it isn't like it looks terrible. And it's for a 4 year old!

vf4dAXV.jpeg

DsEyATH.jpeg

Cut around the chimney vent but have this pretty grim joint to the wardrobe. It'll all be covered by a dolls house anyway! Not sure of any better ways of tidying it up.

Annoyingly after all that joining the vent wasn't even level lol.

Also I painted the IKEA doors but the primer doesn't seem to be working....it still scratching super easily. Annoyed.

You could have added the extra height with a strip of pine at the bottom and if not glued as well as screwed, you still can.

Back
Top Bottom