What "man jobs" have you done today?

Chaps - silly Q - I have been using a 2kWh fan heater in the garden room. After 40mins or so I turned it off. The plug and the socket it plugs into is hot. Is that just normal? Haven't used electric heaters for so long I can't think for the life of me whether that's to be expected or not. It obviously draws a lot of continuous juice...

I used loft logs but can see the appeal of this. You are having to mess around "per leg" lining up and measuring. Stretching here as it's such a minor thing in the grand scheme, but looks like Loftzone you can lay a full lay in a one'er.

I think what sold me were the crossbeams as much as anything. I watched an instal video of their stuff and it was as wobbly as hell when the bloke stood on it - until a few more rows were placed and then it was solid. The sum of it's parts I suppose.

Chaps - silly Q - I have been using a 2kWh fan heater in the garden room. After 40mins or so I turned it off. The plug and the socket it plugs into is hot. Is that just normal? Haven't used electric heaters for so long I can't think for the life of me whether that's to be expected or not. It obviously draws a lot of continuous juice...
Certainly yes, cables and plugs/pins will get hot with sustained high current.

I'd have thought closer to 3kW than 2 (no h, it uses kilowatts!) would do it. do check the connection for the pins in the socket is solid, and even check the fuse is firmly held if you're nervous.

Sounds like a poor termination somewhere to me, either in the plug top or socket. Run the heater up at the house, does the plug still get hot?

Yes its normal to get hot (not burning hot) when pulling a high load continuously. On poor quality or poorly fitted sockets it can cause issues. See it mainly with tumble driers.

Last edited:
Put some of the sandstone in.

Ive marked out 1:60 points on all my levels, this is about 1.5 days so it is taking a while! Hopefully I speed up as a lot to do. Main one was getting 1st right as it sets up the rest..

ke9Yx7e.jpeg

8MFhTNd.jpeg

That'll look so nice when it's done!

I can't tell from the pictures but are you pointing it as you go or filling it later? I watched the Proper DIY bloke on youtube and he used the resin stuff but you've got to really ram it in for it to be effective and last. I'm thinking of using it on my patio next year.

Had three ton of Blue Ice gravel delivered today, just enough to finish the front garden/driveway make over(well apart from the rendering and coping stones).

Original post Inc pics

Last edited:
That'll look so nice when it's done!

I can't tell from the pictures but are you pointing it as you go or filling it later? I watched the Proper DIY bloke on youtube and he used the resin stuff but you've got to really ram it in for it to be effective and last. I'm thinking of using it on my patio next year.

I'm using a GTFK epoxy resin (at the end). It's bloody expensive at 150quid ish a tub (I have 4 tubs!). I've read some poor reviews of the "brush in" type stuff. Possibly I should have just pointed it all by hand with mortar but wanted to save time as its a lot of patio (60+m2)

Irrespective of choice of grout/pointing you would only do it at once they're set (else risk pushing the joints out/ makes it harder and it's a different mix of sand/cement).

Last edited:
I'm using a GTFK epoxy resin (at the end). It's bloody expensive at 150quid ish a tub (I have 4 tubs!). I've read some poor reviews of the "brush in" type stuff. Possibly I should have just pointed it all by hand with mortar but wanted to save time as its a lot of patio (60+m2)

Irrespective of choice of grout/pointing you would only do it at once they're set (else risk pushing the joints out/ makes it harder and it's a different mix of sand/cement).

Here's the video I mentioned about the resin stuff, you've probably seen it. Expensive stuff!

Good point (lol) about pointing after the patio is set, didn't think about that, doh!

Here's the video I mentioned about the resin stuff, you've probably seen it. Expensive stuff!

Good point (lol) about pointing after the patio is set, didn't think about that, doh!
Interesting , I've always just discounted this stuff as an option because everyone I know has had issues with it, I bet it's just because it wasn't installed properly

Had three ton of Blue Ice gravel delivered today, just enough to finish the front garden/driveway make over(well apart from the rendering and coping stones).

Original post Inc pics

Great work there! Have you done this type of work before? Any reason why you didn't do one style of ground all over? The split does work though. Garden and driveway.

Any multi-tool recommendations? Can't justify breaking the bank as it won't see loads of use. I'm wanting to go down the battery route rather than corded.
Do you already own any battery powered tools?

I have a Makita LXT 18V drill & driver with 3 batteries, so it made sense to buy the multi tool from the same range.

I also bought a cheap mains powered one from the middle of Lidl - £28 iirc. It's nowhere near as good as the Makita, but for quick jobs without wasting my more expensive Makita blades/sanding pads, it's okay.

ItlqbNA.jpeg

Got a small 5x10 shed for garden tools and my bike to make room in my 8x10 shed so I can use it as a tinkering shed again.

The quality is good for the price, but the only thing I don't like is that awful colour they use to dip it. I wanted to match the colour of my decking, but it comes out a lot darker due to the dip. Does it fade if I leave it untreated for a few months?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom