What "man jobs" have you done today?

Any multi-tool recommendations? Can't justify breaking the bank as it won't see loads of use. I'm wanting to go down the battery route rather than corded.

FYI, Screwfix have a sale on their DeWalt gear, if you haven't already bought into a system - might be worth looking into...

(Sorry, the email didn't have a web page alternative to link to)

Replaced the bricks and the ever so slightly worn baffle in the stove..

UqTqBLz.jpg

ZWdOgs4.jpg

Funnily enough, it's performing much better now.

Great work there! Have you done this type of work before? Any reason why you didn't do one style of ground all over? The split does work though. Garden and driveway.
I grew up renovating property, building patios and helping family, I'm an electrical engineer by trade, just learn as I go! My father in law is also an excellent help and teacher, he was a stone mason before he retired as well as a general builder.

Cost was the biggest factor and heat retention, the front of the house gets baked in the afternoons, block pavers hold heat and reflect it into the house, went with the gravel as it will reflect the heat away rather than hold it.

Last edited:
Got a minor shift into the allotment..I really don't know how to get on top of it. The ground is rotten - uneven, full of bricks; a nightmare. I've covered it over and outlined some beds but barely put a ding in it.

I've also knocked some old wood together into a mulcher. I'll line it with cardboard I guess and see if it rots down.

Still need another roll of weed membrane but just not sure where I am going with this and what's needed.

8gfwU9U.jpeg

Replacing guttering on my outhouse as it leaks all the places I don't want.

Pulled the old guttering off and board underneath was all rotten too. Pulled that off and brickwork underneath was falling apart.

Tiles are all sagged too so I had to prob them up with some wooden blocks.

PXL-20240915-152035973.jpg

PXL-20240915-152048578.jpg

Went into the shed to get model numbers off Flymow and Bosch hedgetrimmer as they are going up on Post Office window for sale.
Well one thing lead to another and ended up clearing shed out a bit.
Found the ice box -been looking for it all summer so when we get some icy days I can put it in box for next year.
I stood back towards the door and thought - I have a lot of room then turned round and it was all outside.
The joys of getting old.:rolleyes:

Making good the work of a Youtube and Ladybird book builder.

Lots of work making this ready for the winter and also replacing the rear South facing wall.

Generally OK/ish with a lot of boards popping nails, some missing and although bone dry, the tin sheet roof doesn't really stop much getting in in the Winter months,
although there is a decent lip to keep Winter out and the thing is strong enough to walk all over it.

dFRrebF.jpg

The rear is a mess, with noggings not really in the right place with the original builder using thick plastic sheeting behind the shuttering ply :(
These will be removed and good quality sheets will replace them, with a breathable membrane and will then have blue baton over the board and
feather edge will be added for the finish.

844Qn0h.jpg

Guttering cleaned.

4p9d7mT.jpg

p7Nro72.jpg

Weather proofing finished on three sides + expanding foam added to area's exposed to Winter weather.

ohn8ytn.jpg

To do:
Finish the back, replace door with a solid door that opens outwards, remove and replace decking, which might be built to the height of the blocks,
lay a new floor and plasterboard the walls and get a sparks to check the consumer unit and run sockets + lights.

Last edited:
Prepped the garden for winter today:

Drained inflatable hot tub, cleaned it and stowed it away in garage loft, along with hot tub related paraphernalia. It's 4 years old now but if we get another summer out of it next year it'll be a bonus.

Packed away garden furniture cushions and garden lights.

Still need to secure a few wobbly fence panels to stop them rattling around in winter winds.

Prepped the garden for winter today:

Drained inflatable hot tub, cleaned it and stowed it away in garage loft, along with hot tub related paraphernalia. It's 4 years old now but if we get another summer out of it next year it'll be a bonus.

Packed away garden furniture cushions and garden lights.

Still need to secure a few wobbly fence panels to stop them rattling around in winter winds.
Cheers mate, will be 25 degrees till October 31st now (y)

Replacing guttering on my outhouse as it leaks all the places I don't want.

Pulled the old guttering off and board underneath was all rotten too. Pulled that off and brickwork underneath was falling apart.

Tiles are all sagged too so I had to prob them up with some wooden blocks.

PXL-20240915-152035973.jpg

PXL-20240915-152048578.jpg

This is the type of job that just grows legs. You uncover so many connected problems then the other half asks why it's taking you so long to complete the first one.

Got some cement work done outside, hallway painted. Part of dining room repainted.

Sanded some of the flaking paint in the living room. All yesterday.

Off work this week due but it's for school runs primarily. Had more plans today but kids have been up half the night. Might pop to Wickes later but its going to be a fairly relaxed day as ahead of schedule anyway.

2nd day making good a Youtube builders work.

Finally removed all the delaminated boards and met many a large False Widow and a few others

FJGOnkR.jpg

New boards
GYBIiY8.jpg

Installed

cwwoQHf.jpg

Batons at 60cm centres to cover joins

i9efbfu.jpg

Feather edge install

UaLgHd7.jpg

All materials ordered slightly over (+10%) with no trips required to Screwtoolwickesstation :p

Ended up getting quite frustrated with the TP-Link Deco X55. I fitted one for a n00b friend and it worked fine; but the lack of webUI was making recent troubleshooting of a latency spike a real pain. Ended up doing an Amazon return (+£180) and ordered a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro (-£350) and 2 of their U6+ Access Points (-£200). I need to work out where to mount the AP as I can get to the second floor ceilings easy enough, but that might put the primary use area at a disadvantage (downstairs/patio). The other AP will either go in the Garden Room or at the far end of the workshop. Again, need to do some reading. They are technically ceiling mount and I think the array needs to be positioned as per design to get the best performance.

Harddrive arrives today so I can make it act as an NVR for the Doorbell and 2 cameras I have.

Hnb05I0.jpeg
Also reinstated the Raspberry Pi for DNS duties (Adguard Home) and relocated the Plex server to the Garden Room as a makeshift media PC. Just need to work out how to get Audio out of it, as the PC doesn't have HDMI it has DisplayPort.

Last edited:
Been pricing up flooring for the Youtube builders shed and looking at a bit of rot that was caused by the blocked guttering. Might get away with cutting it out to good area and replacing.
Leaving the last part of wavy edge for now to concentrate on the rot and the possibility of adding an additional window in that area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom