What "man jobs" have you done today?

What is reccomended ? is some average stuff like Unibond silicone sealant ok, or is the premium stuff £9.99 stuff like dow cornering - mould resisant sealant worth going for? some of the £5 unibond ones state mould risistant, but a lot of people saying that dow cornering silicone stuff is worth paying an extra fiver for , for a 310ml cartridge?

is this all a marketing ploy ?

There are differences between silicone sealants and it's not just headline featureless such as mould resistance claims, but how good they are to apply and work with silicone tools. Unibond silicone is generally good, but I find Dow often has better adhesion and is better to apply/smooth and more durable.

However no one brand is the best in all categories so I use various brands based on experience. The only general recommendation is to avoid cheaper brands as although they can be good, its only using them and a long wait that will prove that.

There are differences between silicone sealants and it's not just headline featureless such as mould resistance claims, but how good they are to apply and work with silicone tools. Unibond silicone is generally good, but I find Dow often has better adhesion and is better to apply/smooth and more durable.

However no one brand is the best in all categories so I use various brands based on experience. The only general recommendation is to avoid cheaper brands as although they can be good, its only using them and a long wait that will prove that.
Fwiw the BT1 stuff is awful.

I just removed the old silicone round my bathtub

I used Screwfix white no nonsense silicone £5.60 or so for 310 cartridge for the gun..

How is sillocone so hard to apply! And so messy

I have found a worse job than painting..

I have one of these plastic 10mm pointing tools I also used for pointing patio

Pointed the gun and went along the wall line , then run the tool down it wiping away excess as I go along . Still managed to get it everywhere. In the end I was using my finger also. With a tissue..

Done my best , but it's not good enough . Going to wait to let it set properly then see if I can make it look better

I just removed the old silicone round my bathtub

I used Screwfix white no nonsense silicone £5.60 or so for 310 cartridge for the gun..

How is sillocone so hard to apply! And so messy

I have found a worse job than painting..

I have one of these plastic 10mm pointing tools I also used for pointing patio

Pointed the gun and went along the wall line , then run the tool down it wiping away excess as I go along . Still managed to get it everywhere. In the end I was using my finger also. With a tissue..

Done my best , but it's not good enough . Going to wait to let it set properly then see if I can make it look better
Plumbers gold is the stuff. It's much thicker and easier to work with. If you want to feel really bad follow southwest silicone on Instagram. He is the god of mastic men lol.

Plumbers gold is the stuff. It's much thicker and easier to work with. If you want to feel really bad follow southwest silicone on Instagram. He is the god of mastic men lol.

I am hearing that dowsil cornering or their product is the right one .

I am thinking this is a product issue or quality maybe with the no nonsense Screwfix stuff even though it had good reviess.

Maybe the way I applied it .but looking on YouTube videos it sticks and applies smoother than what I'm using.

The stuff I am using is very tacky. I'm going to have to redo it as it's not good

They also say fill bath up half way

Last edited:
I am hearing that dowsil cornering or their product is the right one .

I am thinking this is a product issue or quality maybe with the no nonsense Screwfix stuff even though it had good reviess.

Maybe the way I applied it .but looking on YouTube videos it sticks and applies smoother than what I'm using.

The stuff I am using is very tacky. I'm going to have to redo it as it's not good

They also say fill bath up half way
You have no chance if you don't have a smoothing tool

Back
Top Bottom