What "man jobs" have you done today?

Think I'll give the loft a measure tomorrow ahead of buying a bunch of 200mm top up insulation rolls. Not particularly looking forward to reboarding the middle section.

Next challenge, what to do with insulation around the downlights? We have about 20 in the upstairs rooms including bathroom.

Last edited:
I think there is covers you can get to go over them to provide a barrier between them and the insulation?

Light hoods or light lids they are called I think. If you want to be super safe there are intumescent ones you can get too.

I knew someone who used plant pots (the ones without the drainage holes) but I doubt they are as fire retardant!

Built the new small storage cabinet for the pressure washer and stuff to live in. Had to make a base so I could level it on the sloped driveway and found some spare 4x2 from the decking. The extra peice of 4x2 was just the right size to make that side level. Will get round to painting it black eventually

Last edited:
Noticed the waste / drainage on the downstairs toilet sink was disintegrating. So I took it all apart and replaced with a nice new one. Needed some silicone sealant to make it watertight. All done and back together now.

I used the finishing tools before and they are great. Takes a little getting used to as you actually use less silicone that you think you will need.... Just a matter of swiping it over for a 1st run, removing the excess as you go, then a final slow smooth run over with the tool to get it looking good.
Last time I tried using a finishing tool I found it a bit jerky so used the finger instead.

Last edited:
Decided to insulate under the TV snug room floor at the weekend, can already tell its made a massive difference, just the hall and living room to do now.

54057750719_dc4383ab2e.jpg

54056554507_8d7e3268d7.jpg

54057424096_ceaf22e956.jpg

54057880425_bfa1b1b228.jpg

54057880400_3b89537f82.jpg

54057750729_229008f3c6.jpg

54057424076_6175358f8a.jpg

Last edited:
I've always loved the look of sanded boards but never had it in any other house before. These were already done when I moved in, they look great but man is it cold in the winter, literally nothing stopping that cold outside air under the floor coming up. I considered rockwool and PIR but decided on rockwool, easier installation and a number of people saying the PIR "squeeks" in suspended floors made the decision for me. The materials were only just over a hundred quid, then it was just a couple of days of hard graft. I did pick the easiest room first mind you, the hall and living room won't go so quickly, I flat refuse to take the skirting off as I have decorated everywhere already (and its original and nailed on, I have in the past for electrics, and its a SoB of a job) so there will be boards that I cannot get up and I have to figure out what to do there regarding drafts and DPM.

Last edited:
Decided to insulate under the TV snug room floor at the weekend, can already tell its made a massive difference, just the hall and living room to do now.

54057750719_dc4383ab2e.jpg

Marking the boards for refit is something I bet many are now slapping their heads at forgetting to do :D

You've done a lovely job of that and good luck doing the rest.

ps Glad to see I am not the only one with an access hatch below the TV.

Marking the boards for refit is something I bet many are now slapping their heads at forgetting to do :D

i can hear the media centre police starting to wind up their engines

Thanks man,
Yup, that was another little job, but that's the beauty of doing these things yourself, you can make everything bespoke like the little recess for the sound bar, exactly how you want it and add all the features you can think of.

54058955384_dc4b4d6704_z.jpg

54058629426_bb3981e770_z.jpg

54058955389_f9a9452f0b_z.jpg

54058955379_29f661c7d3_z.jpg

Has anybody got any recommendations for stud finders? I need to hang some paintings, mirrors posters this weekend and just want to make sure I'm hitting a stud instead of just plasterboard. Or are they all pretty much the same?

Back
Top Bottom