What "man jobs" have you done today?

Permabanned
Spent the morning rotavating the old man’s garden ready for the growing season.

E1-E39823-40-B0-45-DF-8594-336-DFB96-BAA0.jpg
Is the old man doing the grafting

Soldato
Had a trim of the hedge, used to use a battery one but invested in a Stihl.
I see a lot of posts on here where people pay for basic gardening, I don't get it, the Stihl is amazing especially with the Stihl pre mix (that can be left over winter in the cutter)
The lawn mower is battery though, awesome thing, had it years

IMG20230420174622.jpg

Soldato
The dawning realisation of how much wood I now have and lack of storage led me to a master plan, now signed off by Mrs TB.

Phase one is moving the current largest store ....

IMG20230422090427.jpg

The problem being it was full, so ...

IMG20230422093409.jpg

Emptied it and dumped the logs on the drive

IMG20230422094405.jpg

Dragged the store to the end of the drive

IMG20230422094414.jpg

Cleaned up where it was

IMG20230422095017.jpg

IMG20230422100847.jpg

Filled the store back up

IMG20230422122814.jpg

And shifted the recent delivery to the side of it

IMG20230422125252.jpg

IMG20230422125258.jpg

Gonna measure up this afternoon and build a new store (bigger) in the space this one has just come from:D

Soldato
We have some Wilkinson sword spade's and forks we have had for years and are bomb proof

If buying now is also be tempted to try a Fiskars as I'm a.bit of.a.fanboy ...
I checked our Fiskars as my first entry into their gear (need an axe soon enough :D) but the reviews of the fork especially seemed quite poor!

Will check out Wilkinson Sword

Associate
Today I finished replacing all the ageing cat5 cable in my house.
My hands are sore from all the crimping.
Mesh with eth backhaul is solid.
Cat6 goodness reigns supreme.

Best thing though, the missus will no longer be blaming me and my network

Soldato
I have finally come to the conclusion that I am now too old to do jobs.

The frame that holds the garage door in place has rotted on bottom left side so thought cut some off and slice a new bit in.

4 Days later I have finished it - my woodworking isn't up to scratch these days and it wasn't the best looking job but it's working - I even know how to adjust the slide locks on bottom of door - The fitter used a big hammer to knock loop into place -I used a pair of stilsons as it doesn't rattle the door.
Today I put the 70x70mm plastic L strips up and it's hidden a multitude of sins, - I am going to stick a trim strip down each side to give me a sort of cavity to put mastic into.
Goes in wardrobe for tube of Sticksall mastric glue -looks fine but would it come out of tube so trip to Toolstation.

Chaps - I need to replace my fork and spade. What is the go-to brand? No more than £50-100 each.

Having had a Brades fork and spade for 50 yrs I would say they are the best but they are not made anymore (I think)

One thing I have found with the fork is the tines are very slim and they do not bend -using a new modern fork seems like hard work with those thick tines.

Soldato
Today I finished replacing all the ageing cat5 cable in my house.
My hands are sore from all the crimping.
Mesh with eth backhaul is solid.
Cat6 goodness reigns supreme.

Best thing though, the missus will no longer be blaming me and my network
Ageing cat5 what?
sanded the block paving driveway.
Sounds like you should have just laid it level if it needed sanding afterwards :rolleyes: :p :cry:

Soldato
I have finally come to the conclusion that I am now too old to do jobs.

The frame that holds the garage door in place has rotted on bottom left side so thought cut some off and slice a new bit in.

4 Days later I have finished it - my woodworking isn't up to scratch these days and it wasn't the best looking job but it's working - I even know how to adjust the slide locks on bottom of door - The fitter used a big hammer to knock loop into place -I used a pair of stilsons as it doesn't rattle the door.
Today I put the 70x70mm plastic L strips up and it's hidden a multitude of sins, - I am going to stick a trim strip down each side to give me a sort of cavity to put mastic into.
Goes in wardrobe for tube of Sticksall mastric glue -looks fine but would it come out of tube so trip to Toolstation.

Having had a Brades fork and spade for 50 yrs I would say they are the best but they are not made anymore (I think)

One thing I have found with the fork is the tines are very slim and they do not bend -using a new modern fork seems like hard work with those thick tines.
Hope I'm still doing the kind of stuff you are at your age mate :)

Back
Top Bottom