What RAM are you getting/bought for Ryzen

Soldato
Soldato
Really want some advise on RAM on a budget (business as usual lol).

If I can avoid paying over the odds for C12/C14 @ 3200/3500 I'd really appreciate the advice on what to get. (2x 8GB = 16GB please)

Associate
Should I be thinking about returning my Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz kit for something better?

I can only run at 2800MHz Asus Prime Pro X370 board and I hear Ryzen likes faster RAM for gaming....

Soldato
Would a person see any real world performance out of that in gaming?
& do RAM capabilities mostly rely on quality of RAM or quality of mobo?
I'd doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference in 2933 & 3200 (outside of synthetic benchmarks) I'd hazard guess it would be 1 or 2 fps difference max (if even that)

capabilities is a mix of the specific type of chips the memory uses, the mobo and imc of the cpu. better chips (Samsung b die) can overcome some failings in the other 2 and likewise better mobo/cpu imc can overcome failings of the chips. least that is my limited understanding of it

Soldato
The speed and latency you can get the ram to depends on the motherboard, your cpu's imc and that you have the most compatible Samsung b die based memory. If you can get 3466 c14 or faster 100% stable on ryzen you have done well.

The impact in games varies from game to game. Going from 2133 to 3200 is a large gain, 2933 to 3200 is still a gain but not so marked. In many cases a faster Gpu is better value for money but the memory will help.

https://community.amd.com/community...emory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

Soldato
It will be close and if not RMA.
oh yea course rma is an option assuming they don't do what 'they say on the tin' - but it's a faff. especially if the retailer charges a handling/restocking fee (which I believe they can if an item isn't actually faulty). think it is getting more like a lottery getting the Sammy b die chips unless you go with the likes of the 8Pack ram which is guaranteed to be Sammy b. but then you pay the premium for that. I opted for the corsair lpx 3200 - knew it was unlikely I'd get Sammy b, sure I can only get 2933 (though I haven't tried increasing volts/slackening timings etc) and the etailer has said they'll take them back if I want and replace for something else - I obviously pay the difference. i picked the ram up at about 120 quid - if i wanna be certain of sammy b die i'll almost certainly have to add another 50 or 60 quid on to that.....for what, a few MHz difference? lets be honest, going from 2933 to 3200 I am not going to see any real difference except in synthetic benching etc, real world usage will be virtually identical

Soldato
All team group 8Pack are b die. Dark pro and extreme. For Ryzen 3200 dark pro are perfect.

I am in the US though (moved from UK hence me loving OcUK). I don't have sensible access to your kits.

I am seriously considering the regular Dark Pro kit though. I assume the cas 14 @3200 is worth it? Is it likely to get 3466 at cas14?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom