What RAM are you getting/bought for Ryzen

Soldato
Installed a pair now and also showing up as Samsung 8Gb ICs.

Dark Pro at 3200 looks like the cheapest Samsung 8Gb B-Die IC memory in the UK at the moment.

An added benefit is that it runs CL14 with ease.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Installed a pair now and also showing up as Samsung 8Gb ICs.

Dark Pro at 3200 looks like the cheapest Samsung 8Gb B-Die IC memory in the UK at the moment.

An added benefit is that it runs CL14 with ease.
Indeed. Id say thats a Pass :)

dcc02464b0944a0f.jpg

Associate
That's ********. The memory won't be forcing a base clock change.

You can see in the screenshot the CPU is affected by the bclk change.

Ignoring the screenshot, if the memory is somehow applying a multiplier, then the motherboard wouldn't see it. Since there are youtube videos of this RAM being used for manual clocking, that is again wrong.

That doesn't make sense. The memory timings are read from the memory unless over-ridden, so why isn't bclk. I assume bclk = base clock speed. Why can't Trident Z have a default bclk of 100 and the new RAM a default bclk of 120? If the bclk can be changed in the BIOS/UEFI, then this doesn't matter, hence my question; however, I don't know how RAM is overclocked. Do you raise the bclk or the multiplier or both? If high multipliers are causing issues are people using high bclks with lower multipliers to get the RAM stable?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this the same stuff, just in a different colour?

That is what I bought.

That doesn't make sense. The memory timings are read from the memory unless over-ridden, so why isn't bclk. I assume bclk = base clock speed. Why can't Trident Z have a default bclk of 100 and the new RAM a default bclk of 120? If the bclk can be changed in the BIOS/UEFI, then this doesn't matter, hence my question; however, I don't know how RAM is overclocked. Do you raise the bclk or the multiplier or both? If high multipliers are causing issues are people using high bclks with lower multipliers to get the RAM stable?

The motherboard controls both the timings and the memory clockspeed. So in order to run at 3200mhz whilst still convincing the motherboard it is running at 2666mhz, then it has to apply a hidden 1.2 multiplier in some way not visible to the motherboard. If the motherboard actually adjusts the bclk then it will adjust the bclk for the CPU as well resulting in a sudden overclock.

Associate
Bought the TeamGroup 32GB 3000 2x16 kit from here a few weeks back and now have it running on a ASUS B350 Plus at 2933 DOCP. Had to up the voltage to 1.375. Running BIOS 0515. Could be a mixture of latest BIOS or just giving a bit more juice but have run tests for a few hours and no crashes.

Soldato
OP
I created this thread and its been interesting reading peoples posts. I was set on G.Skill as I knew I wanted Samsung based RAM but with Lord Zed's discovery I ended up ordering Team Group 3200 C16 and I'm really hoping its not a case of some are and some aren't. The RAM has arrived and I'll be installing it tonight so we'll see.

Soldato
I created this thread and its been interesting reading peoples posts. I was set on G.Skill as I knew I wanted Samsung based RAM but with Lord Zed's discovery I ended up ordering Team Group 3200 C16 and I'm really hoping its not a case of some are and some aren't. The RAM has arrived and I'll be installing it tonight so we'll see.
Intrested In how you get on, might get this ram also

Associate

Eagerly awaiting your results.

Associate
That is what I bought.

The motherboard controls both the timings and the memory clockspeed. So in order to run at 3200mhz whilst still convincing the motherboard it is running at 2666mhz, then it has to apply a hidden 1.2 multiplier in some way not visible to the motherboard. If the motherboard actually adjusts the bclk then it will adjust the bclk for the CPU as well resulting in a sudden overclock.

But the motherboard gets the timings from the memory itself; however, it doesn't have to use them. You can see these in CPU-Z pretty easily.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/crucial-ballistix-sodimm-16gb-kit/cpuz.jpg

http://aphnetworks.com/review/patriot_viper_ii_sector_5_pc3_12800_2x2gb/cpuz.png

Soldato
I'm at ~3300 (3200 with 103 base clock) so far with the TG Dark Pro. Still on fairly loose timings but will push the speed before I try to tighten them any more. I was going to wait for the Xtreem if I could have gotten my dominator's to even post at 2667, but so far so good on these.

Soldato
But the motherboard gets the timings from the memory itself; however, it doesn't have to use them. You can see these in CPU-Z pretty easily.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/crucial-ballistix-sodimm-16gb-kit/cpuz.jpg

http://aphnetworks.com/review/patriot_viper_ii_sector_5_pc3_12800_2x2gb/cpuz.png

I'm not sure what you are getting at. It can use the JEDEC or XMP timings or not.

There is no BCLK the motherboard sets for the memory alone. If it ups the BCLK then it is performing BCLK overclocking.

There is no way the AMD FLare X kit is automatically performing BCLK overclocking as that would overclock the CPU 1.2x and create a number of other issues.

Soldato
Bought the TeamGroup 32GB 3000 2x16 kit from here a few weeks back and now have it running on a ASUS B350 Plus at 2933 DOCP. Had to up the voltage to 1.375. Running BIOS 0515. Could be a mixture of latest BIOS or just giving a bit more juice but have run tests for a few hours and no crashes.

That would have to be double sided. So far Ryzen and Ryzen motherboards like single sided sticks best.

Back
Top Bottom