What RAM are you getting/bought for Ryzen

Associate
Associate
Interesting, was going to go for Gigabyte but might end up with the Tomahawk if it can cater for better RAM speeds

Just try and stick with Samsung single rank ic's and you should be fine ...there is this which may help in your search

Section
DRAM overclocking data collection

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread

yes its for the Asus crosshair but the info re memory is great

Very impressed with the MSI tomahawk for the price vrm's do get a tad hot with the cpu @3.6+ but a fan directed at the VRM heatsink drops em down -18 -20c so all good

this memory i have here as been rock solid even out of the box v1 bios all was fine at stock 2133 then pushed 2933 mem was fine ..did not try 3200 until i had bios v1.1 which worked fine ...now on bios v 1.2 and rock solid
Next step find my max oc @ this speed & @ cas.. then will be trying 4 sticks of these but that i am sure is going to be a mine field will see....

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I wont be OC ing too much as I'm waiting for the 1600X and will happy with its standard performance, more interested in the RAM speeds and the boards ability to make use of high clocking RAM so appreciate the info

Associate
Not using G. SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZ

but if it helps
using Samsung single rank
G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZ Trident Z Series

I am using official v120 for the MSI tomahawk
mem @ 3200 14 14 14 34 1t 1.35v 2 sticks 16GB
All good
next step 4 sticks :(

Great result thanks for the info on the ram kit with the Tomahawk, looks good.

Soldato
I'm really trying to get some G.Skill 3400 or higher stuff (guaranteed to be Samsung from what I've read) but it is so expensive for 16GB.

3200 (not that much cheaper) can be Hynix if you are unlucky.

Associate
I wanted the G.Skill Flare X PC3200 but since they're not available anywhere and I now all the rest of my Ryzen setup I went for something else: G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) G.SKILL Trident Z F4-3200C15D-16GTZ.

I've checked various forums and they are also made of the famous Samsung B chips so I should be fine :)

EDIT

Interesting details to help identify the Samsung B chips on some of the available memory kit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...bdie_confusion_eg_on/?st=j0zuwh6g&sh=2ac3529a

It also confirmed that the one I went for is indeed Samsung B.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah ok. I was basing it on MSI QVL.

I guess 3200 is safe.

edit:

3200 CL16 stuff is dual rank though.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'm really trying to get some G.Skill 3400 or higher stuff (guaranteed to be Samsung from what I've read) but it is so expensive for 16GB.

3200 (not that much cheaper) can be Hynix if you are unlucky.

I can confirm the kit I am using but on X99 (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR) is running Samsung B-Die.

Module Manufacturer: G.Skill
Module Part Number: F4-3600C16-8GTZR
DRAM Manufacturer: Samsung
DRAM Components: K4A8G085WB-BCPB
DRAM Die Revision / Lithography Resolution: B / 20 nm
Module Manufacturing Date: Undefined
Module Manufacturing Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Module Serial Number: 00000000h
Module PCB Revision: 00h

A good tool for reading memory information is Thaiphoon Burner.

Associate
Complete RAM newb here, looking for 16Gb to go with a Ryzen 1700X and Asus ROG Crosshair VI combo... any suggestions?

The RAM chips that work best for Ryzen at the moment are single sided, single rank, with the Samsung B-Die, G.Skill 3600mhz is what I would personally choose.

Associate
I cant decide between the g skill ripjaws V 3000mhz c14 and the Trident Z (non RGB) 3600mhz c16. Both are samsung b die and the trident z is 50 pounds more. The ripjaws V should overclock to 3200mhz at c14 but can't decide whether its worth paying extra for the faster ram. Because if i spend that much, im not sure whether id be thinking to spend an extra 50 pounds on top of that for the rgb ram

Permabanned
Definitely want to know which kit to guarantee 3200Mhz at C14 with Samsung B die. Looking to buy motherboard and memory in advance of the R5 coming out.
Tomorrow im sending back 3rd ram kit...... THIRD !!! I did allot of research and all 3 kits that ware supposed to use Single rank Samsung's turned to not use them.. So far Corsair Hynix Single rank Gskill Hynix Single rank Patriot Samsung Dual rank :/.
Next up Teamgroup Dark Red from OCUK coming in tomorrow. PLEASE PLEASE BE Single Rank Samsung... Someone from forums ordered and comented that they are indeed single rank samsungs but hey all 3 previous kits supposed to be samsung single rank FFS

You want 100% sure ram ?? Buy Gskill Flare X 3200 c14 for only 190 quid :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Tomorrow im sending back 3rd ram kit...... THIRD !!! I did allot of research and all 3 kits that ware supposed to use Single rank Samsung's turned to not use them.. So far Corsair Hynix Single rank Gskill Hynix Single rank Patriot Samsung Dual rank :/.
Next up Teamgroup Dark Red from OCUK coming in tomorrow. PLEASE PLEASE BE Single Rank Samsung... Someone from forums ordered and comented that they are indeed single rank samsungs but hey all 3 previous kits supposed to be samsung single rank FFS

You want 100% sure ram ?? Buy Gskill Flare X 3200 c14 for only 190 quid :D

Memory advertising and sales are a disgrace. One of the worst sectors for spec changes. "Oh, you might get what you expect..."

50 to 60 just to make sure you get what you expect? No thanks. I will find another brand.

Back
Top Bottom