What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
I took a trip to Meat Liquor last night with some work colleagues as it was 4th July, and one of the team is American.

Anyway, I think it's been discussed a few times now, but I found the queue to not be that bad to be honest. We probably spent about half hour waiting, and arrived at 6, to get in, even in a large party (around 10). By the time we got in, the queue was definitely longer mind. However they did have a sign up saying they had recently opened up another restaurant in Covent Garden.

As for food:
In the queue, they went around with a couple of sides for us to try. This included, the largest, greatest onion rings I have ever seen. They were about the size of a Yorkshire Pudding, and with the dip, were absolutely incredible.
For a starter, we had some chilli chips with cheese, and some spicy chicken wings with, I believe, a blue cheese sauce.
The chips weren't too bad, but the Chicken wings I could honestly spend the rest of my life eating.
As a main, I got the Bacon Cheeseburger. I must admit it was a very good burger, however having heard such wonderful things about Meat Liquor, I was slightly disappointed. Perhaps I had set my expectations slightly too high though. I just felt the beef didn't have quite as powerful taste as I'd have liked.

Unfortunately I was driving home, so can't tell you much about the liquor side of things, but I was told stuff was good, by others I was with.

The atmosphere is definitely something I want to mention.
I wasn't really sure what to expect, having never been before, but it was nothing like I expected. It had loud music throughout, and Satanic, I feel is possibly the best word to describe the decorations... Whilst it was quite novel at first, I must admit that by the end, having to shout to have a conversation with the person next to you, did slightly spoil the mood. It also didn't help when you were struggling to see what you were eating...

Overall mind, I'd definitely say it was worth a trip, and I would certainly go again, but I wouldn't recommend it as a date :p

kd

Soldato
Definitely enjoy a good trip to Meat Liquor, and normally have a similar menu to you. Agreed on the Buffalo Wings - best in town!

I went to Dukes Brew & Que recently. Decent. Very decent. Similar to Pitt Cue but a bit more accessible - i.e. you can book! Had the massive Beef Ribs (good), a pulled pork slider (Very very good) and then a combination of their fries, deep-fried pickles, pork & beans and maccaroni cheese.

I have to say that given its proximity to my house (dangerously close and worryingly accessible following Saturday morning of watching Man vs. Food), the ability to book a table and a very healthy beer list (US microbrewery stuff complimented by decent London fare, Kernal IPA, Meantime, etc.) I'd say this is a great stock "eat and drink lots" place in town. For the ribs, 8 sides between 5 of us and three pints, it came to about £25 each including tip.

It's next to Haggerston station, which is fairly easy to get to and about 20 minute walk from the City. Here.

Soldato
Bovine, Glasgow.

To start I had Scallops with smoked pork belly served on a pumpkin puree. The scallops were kind of small, but lovely and sweet. The best bit on the plate, by far, was the pork belly. It was absolutely delicious.
Followed after that was 9oz Ribeye (rare) with half lobster served with dauphinoise and creamed spinach. I had the send the steak back, it was closer to medium-well than rare, and it was awfully fatty. The second attempt was much better, though I've had nicer steaks elsewhere. The sides were delicious - probably the best dauphinoise I've ever had.
For desert I shared an ice cream sundae, which was fabulous but would be far too much for one.

Drinks: G&T to begin with.
Bottle of Lussac Saint-Emilion with starter & main.
Bottle of Rioja Crianza for general drinking after main & with desert.
A bottle of Pinot Grigio was also drank by two others at the table but I didn't try any. Not my sort of thing.

It wasn't the best steakhouse I've been to, nor the best in Glasgow (Butchershop Bar & Grill holds that accolade) but it was perfectly fine. Service was great, even with me being a 'troublesome' customer. Wine was terrific. I'm not sold on the venue itself, and probably wouldn't rush back unless I happened to be in the area.

Associate
The Bakers Arms in Blaby

Didn't eat their last night, I went on Saturday with my girl friend + parents.

Absolutely fantastic food, i've been there 4 times now in the past 3 weeks (we've started going on Friday's during our hour for lunch at work) and i'm never disappointed.

The surroundings, atmosphere, staff, service and food is all fantastic, can't fault a thing. don't fill yourself up on the main course though, the deserts are worth saving room for!

Came to £82 for 4 of us (including a bottle of wine)

The majority of the ingredients are apparently local too :)

This Menu is devised to bring the talents of the local community together with food.

The dishes are all cooked and prepared here at the Bakers Arms and we hope there is something for everyone

Wherever possible, every ingredient for every dish is produced or supplied by a person who lives local to the pub. Whether it’s local honey from a local bee-keeper, freshly baked bread from a local baker or meat from a local farmer, your meal will be produced from everything local.

Source: http://www.thebakersarms.com/the-bakers-arms-artisan-menu/

Associate
Grill on the Corner - Glasgow

My friends a member so get's 40% off. So 3 courses and 2 bottles of wine between 4 of us only came to £35 each which included a generous tip.

Starter - Beef Carpaccio with Stilton salad
Main - Sirloin Steak rare - Perfectly cooked.
Dessert - Chocolate Velvet Cake

Associate
My sirloin was great mate. Perfectly cooked.
It was literally sirloin, chips (in a mini little posh chip basket) and nothing else. Very minimalistic. If I'm being critical the chips were over salted.
The red velvet cake was pretty good, but nothing special. Would go for Crème brûlée next time, looked much better.

With 40% off it was v good for price. The staff were friendly and well trained. I really need to get to the Butchershop though.

Soldato
Went to Brigade in London Bridge the other day. Admittedly for lunch, but still...

http://www.thebrigade.co.uk/bar-bistro/

Didn't have a started.

Had a main of Rump Steak and Oxtail Burger, with Cheesy Chips. Admittedly a slightly larger portion of chips would have been nice (was about 9 chips in the portion), but that aside it was without a doubt the greatest burger I have ever had. I mean, absolutely incredibly good.

From what I gathered everything else was very good as well, but can't obviously comment too much. Most of us had the burgers, and everyone was very pleased with it.

For Desert I had the chocolate cheesecake with tonga bean ice cream (tastes much like vanilla?) Again, absolutely delicious, and very good.

Wine was also pretty good.

I have to admit, that the portions were slightly small, however generally speaking I think it was an absolutely cracking meal. They also do 'Apprentice' dishes each day, in theme with the restaurant, and they seem slightly out there, and a guy who tried the desert we went with said it was very nice. So may be worth trying.

The only slightly disappointing feature was the lack of charm to the restaurant. Considering it was an old fire station, I feel they could have done more. Instead though it was just a very posh London restaurant...

Well worth a visit in my opinion.

kd

daz

daz

Soldato
Not last night but in the last two weeks:-

Burger and Lobster
Had the lobster roll, absolutely delicious. Served in some lovely brioche style bread with fries, salad and a little jug or melted butter to pour over/into your sandwich, or to dip your fries in to like I did. Great value for £20, although they don't take bookings so you do have to wait a while. Can just go to a pub or bar nearby and they'll call you when your table is ready. :)

Soldato
Went to the Bluebell in Chigwell on Friday for lunch, £20 odd for 3 courses.

Chicken breast w/chorizo and gnocchi with a garlic cappucino was lovely, and the lemoncello cheesecake with raspberry sorbet? Delightful.

Soldato
Yesterday, for my wife's birthday, we went to The Square in Mayfair. I've been looking forward to this for a while, being a fan of Phil Howard, and it didn't disappoint!

The menu:

Each dish was superb and the wine pairings work really well too but if i had to mention a few super-special dishes, they would be:
- The Tasting of Mackerel which was similar to Phil's Great British Menu dish, the Mackerel veloute was just stunning. It also included makeral tartare, oyster and caviar on a small English muffin. Eating in one mouthful, it was fantastic.
- The Baronet, which is a cheese made from unpasteurised Organic Jersey cows milk, was just so creamy and delicious. I'm trying to find out where I can order some of this cheese.
- The two desserts were two of the best I've had on any taster menu. The cheesecake was amazing, but the Souffle, along with the Soufflé Suissesse from Le Gavroche, was about the best I've ever had. Perfectly risen, the raspberry flavour along with the ice cream and raspberry sauce made it heaven on a plate.

The service was very good. Attentive and friendly but not overly so, but like every other restaurant I've been to, not quite up to the level at The Waterside Inn.

One of the most expensive meals I've had at £460 for two (including service charge), but I was happy to pay it.

Next week I have a slightly cheaper meal with a visit to Hawksmoor :).

Man of Honour
Went to http://www.moreishrestaurant.co.uk/ past night.
Under a travelzoo local deal. So two tasting menus for £50, also did wine flight which was an extra £20 each on top.

Sorry no pics

Pea and mint soup.
This was inspired ably nice with a slight kick of spicy.

Capachio of beetroot with deed fried smoked goats cheese.
This I feel was there most accomplished dish, not my favorite. But they had the balance of flavours spot on and it was an incredibly good dish,

Lamb, with peas, broadbeans and braised lettuce.
Also had some sort of brown sauce/purée no idea what it was. But all worked incredibly well together.

posset with beery compote
This again was extremely well balanced, super creamy and tart posset with very sweet compote. Incredibly nice, need more than a large shot glass off it though

Clotted cream cheese cake, strawberry sorbet and scone
Now this was an ingenues pudding and my favorite course, beating the lamb somehow.
They where ok as individual, but together they where wow. The cheesecake was room temperature and just worked so well when eaten all together. Shame they fudged the sorbet though, far to crystallized. Not sure if by accident or design, due to the creamy cheesecake. But IMO would have been far better with a smoother sorbet.

Local cheeses with several chutneys.
This was by far the worse dish, with all the cheeses being fairly bland and the abomination that was called stilton. It didnt deserve that name, far to creamy and mild (although it was quite nice, just wasn't what I consider a good Stilton to be)

Coffe and a chocolate truffle for after and a peach & champaign cocktail to begin with. Really good value on the deal. It's usually £65 each, I think that's far to pricy. However will be going back there as they do a two course Sunday lunch for £14.

Nice relaxed atmosphere as well, wooden tables, cocktails for £6.50 and not the slightest bit pretentious.

Last edited:
Soldato
Following on from poosemon's thread last week and the review of The Connaught by Scam, I though I'd best book myself a table post-haste.

The Connaught by Helene Darroze

So I'd hit a target at work last month and the impending one on one Friday lunch + afternoon spent with the London-based investor of my firm didn't exactly fill me with too much fun. I was over the moon to receive an email on Thursday evening explaining that he was too busy to attend the event, and that I could take a date... with the company covering up to £200! Whoop.

Started the day at the Bar at Claridges round the corner. I've been here on a couple of work-related things and do really enjoy the place. It lacks the pretention and snobbishness that a great deal of Mayfair possess, and is genuinely quite welcoming and friendly.

Started with a Smoked Apple & Pears cocktail (Apples and pears influenced by the flavour of Lagavulin Scotch. Refreshing fruity notes with an intense smoky finish) and then moved onto a Gin Lane (Gin Lane £16.00
Long and tasty, fresh crushed ginger is blended with Tanqueray gin,
apple liqueur and lemon juice. Topped with lemonade for an extra fizz.)

Then on to the main event. I never quite feel at home in top-tier restaurants. I don't normally buy into the snooty attitude. I find I don't properly relax and enjoy myself, and unfortunately I found this to be the case in The Connaught. Obviously it's not the fault of the restaurant and is entirely my gripe, but I tend to enjoy food more when I'm properly relaxed.

A glass of Champagne to start was followed by a volute of cream of smoked scallop - awesome. Never really go for the scallop option in a restaurant, but this opened things up perfectly. Then on to Foie Gras to start, served with a small amount lightly stewed apricot, paracetemol-sized beetroot jelly and specially sweetened bread to bring out the taste of the foie gras. Never really eaten foie gras as I've always been put off by the process, however I've knew I'd like it but as it can be an expensive taste I've always steered clear.

Simply put, it was one of the most morish and tasty things I've ever eaten in my entire life. I took a bite and just said "uh oh...".

In between the starter and the main was a small hardened mousee of heart of artichoke with a truffle froth. Perfect.

Up for the main was the Lamb (roasted rack en “rognonnade”, grilled chuletilla, confit shoulder “crepinette”, smoked aubergine baba ghanoush, indian lassi, reduction with sultan spices).. This was all washed down with a 2003 Volnay. I'd have preferred something a little less solemn, and was hoping to sneak in a Grevrey Chambertin, but they were far too expensive.

We were told off by the junior Maitre D' for referring to the cheese as a "cheese board" and instead were offered their "seasonal Cheese Experience". And then they had a sweet/candy trolley which offered up the finest macaroons, marshmallows and toffees I've tasted. We had to pass on the Armagnac-trolley that followed the cheese for fear of bankrupting myself unfortunately.

The junior Maitre D' really annoyed me. When deciding between the pork and lamb for the main, he told me I wasn't allowed the pork as it would be too rich for me. Foie Gras followed by pork may be a little too much, but I would have preferred to have been advised against choosing the pork... as opposed to not being allowed it.

Food - 10/10
Drink - 9/10
Service - 8/10 (only let down by the arrogant junior Maitre D')
Atmosphere - 7/10 (I felt as if I wasn't allowed to talk whilst sat down!)

Possibly the best foot experience I've ever had, some decent booze and a great setting.

Soldato
Had lunch yesterday at The Waterside (yet again....god I wish I lived somewhere with a large selection of good resteraunts)

Starter was mushroom amd mozerella stuffed riceballs, served with arrabbiata sauce and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Absolutely delicious! The portion size was decent for a starter and the sauce was lovely.

Main was west coast scallops, dressed in lemon and herb butter, served with hand cut chunky fries and a side salad. I dunno what it was, but I didnt enjoy this as much as I thought I would. The scallops seemed larger than ones I've had before, which was a little offputting for some reason, and the coating on them was a little on the bland side. I loved having them as a starter with the bacon and wasabi butter the visit before, but I dont think I would order them as a main course again.

Dessert was a chocolate and strawberry cheesecake with pouring cream. The chocolate had a very strong taste, to the point that me, my mum and my aunt were convinced it had alcohol in it. My mum and aunt even sent theres back and asked for something else instead. The resteraunt manager came out and apologised, he said there actually was no alcohol in it, but he tasted it himself and he said he understood why we thought there was. Apparantly it had something to do with the high grade chocolate they used in the recipe. I enjoyed mine, but I dont think it would be for everyone. It was really nice of them to swap the other desserts without additional charge though. Always such warm friendly service in the Waterside :)

All in all not the best meal I've had there, but no real complaints to be made. Between the three of us with soft drinks the bill came to about £50 - 55.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Was on holiday with my parents and older brother in Brixham, south Devon for a fortnight and, on the way back we had to stay overnight in Exeter before flying home so I decided to treat the family to dinner at Michael Caines at ABode Exeter.

The restaurant itself was rather uninspiring - basically a load of wooden tables crammed into a small room. I wouldn't say I was uncomfortable there but I didn't feel particularly comfortable. The service was attentive and very efficient if a little sterile. The food was served with an explanation of the ingredients but that was about it - no banter and no real friendliness. I asked advice on wine from the sommelier as I'm not a wine buff (whisky's more my bag - in case you didn't know :p). The wine he suggested was nice enough but not particularly outstanding.

The food itself was pretty good. I have a poor memory so can't remember the details of what we had. We were given an amuse bouche of mushroom soup with nuts in it which was very good indeed.

My brother and I had Brixham scallops with a cauliflower sauce which were pretty good. My dad had a duck terrine which he said was good. I can't remember what my Mam had but she said it was good as well.

My brother and I both had Lamb for main course. There were small medallions with a minty herb crust and some sort of layered thing made with slow cooked shoulder served with some sort of thinly sliced beans. Very well cooked and very tasty. Both my parents had John Dory. My dad enjoyed it but my Mam thought the fish was a bit dry and the sauce a little sharp.

When we booked, we were told they needed our table back at 20:15 and it was nearly 8 o'clock by the time we finished our main course so we agreed to have coffee in the "Champagne Bar". We had to track down the sommelier and get him to give us the last of our wine before we left. I wish they'd just leave the bloody bottle at the table instead of this pretentious claptrap where the sommelier decides when and how much wine you should be drinking.

The coffee in the bar was quite good and they had a few decent malt whiskies - nothing spectacular but decent (we all went for Yamazaki 12yo). They also gave us a plate with Petits Fours which my Mam and brother scoffed (neither my Dad nor I have a sweet tooth).

Total bill for starter and mains for four with 2 bottles of wine, 4 coffees and 4 malt whiskies (large, of course) was £288 (whiskies were nearly £40 so food and wine about £250).

My overall impression was that, while everything was good, there was nothing outstanding in the experience. I think that, if the staff were as friendly as they were attentive and efficient, we would all have felt more relaxed and probably would have enjoyed the evening better. Nice but not great and not worth what I paid. I can get food which is as good if not better for a lot less in a more relaxed atmosphere at my favourite restaurant in Newcastle (Blackfriars).

The above is probably a bit more critical than it should be but I would expect better from a big name like Michael Caines (he wasn't cooking by the way).

Soldato
I've heard basically the same comments about Michael Caines at ABode Glasgow, Stan. Whilst the food seems competent (I haven't eaten there myself), the service gets slated.

I suppose it could be his style, or something?

Soldato
Went to a greek restaurant in Bath on Friday evening called Opa.

While they have a pretty decent sized menu 4 of us went for the Meat Meze while our 5th just went for a main and shared some of our dishes. The Meze consisted of 9 different dishes plus pitta breads and Tzaziki dip. They brought the food out in 2 batches, the first consisted of:

Soutzoukakia - Meatballs in tomato sauce

Opa Spare Ribs

Spetzofi - Spicy Greek sausage with peppers and onions in a red-hot sauce

Saganakis - Hard matured cheese lightly fried

Tzaziki and Pitta Bread.

The ribs, oh my god the ribs. They were fantastic, these were only small portions (so a rib each in this example) but the flavour of the meat with the herbs was fantastic and there was a good amount of meat with no bone. The Meatballs were what you would expect with a nice tomatoey sauce, the spicy sausage wasn't spicy or red hot but it was very nice all the same and the saganakis was really good, lightly fried on the outside with a gooey centre. Pitta and Tzaziki were good!

Onto the second batch which consisted of:

Greek Village Salad

Paidakia - Lamb chops on the grill served with fries and salad

Papoutsakia - Stuffed aubergines and minced meat topped with béchamel sauce

Souvlaki - Small cubes of tender meat on skewers, grilled with olive oil, lemon and herbs

Bekry Meze - Pork, brandy, fresh tomatoes, onion and peppers

Everything here was again fantastic, the lamb chop was sublime and the pork in the Bekry Meze melted in the mouth. My least favourite dish was the Papoutsakia but that's because i'm not a fan of aubergine. At the end we were all stuffed, there was a lot of food and at £28.50 a meze, I thought the value was fantastic.

Total bill for 4 Mezes, one beef main dish, 6 beers, a bottle of house Rose and 2 diet cokes came to £160 excluding tip.

Back
Top Bottom