What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Ate in Rules, covent garden.
Had Cornish fish soup to start & lamb belly for the main.
Wife had tomatoe and mozarella salad followed by fish chips and mushy peas.
Mother had just a main course, same as the wifes.

Food, service, location and atmosphere very good quality and good value taking all into consideration.
Drinks not good value and IMO very overpriced. All cocktails £12.95, cheapest bottle of red around £35-40 from memory, 2/3 if a pint if Pride £5

Me and my good lady went to The Hawksmoor at Spitalfields last Thursday.

Booking was for 7:30 but we turned up early to sample the delights of the cocktail bar in the basement. Several Shaky Pete's and Gangster Grappa's later we were ready for food!

I had a fillet and my wife had a rib eye, both served with triple cooked chips, field mushrooms, salad and a jug of bone marrow gravy. Nice bottle of Malbec too.

I really wanted to sample the Chateaubriand, but my missus is a bit of a pain with red meat and she can't cope with it as rare as I like it.

We had salted caramel ice cream and peanut shortbread for desert which was awesome.

Service was perfect as well. I had an insect bite on my arm which was itching like mad and the waitress was superb in sorting me out.

Best steak I've ever had........can't wait to go back, but will need to get some friends together so we can share more beef!

Sushi Tetsu

Best Sushi I've had over here, v close to what I had at Sushi Yasuda in New York. Blow-torched scallops being a particular highlight along with sea bream. Sourcing of fish superb along with excellent rice served at the right temperature and seasoned nicely.

It also appears cheaper than some of the other top sushi places in London, and a lot more authentic, but don't expect anything other than sushi, and be prepared to wait for a table!

I went to a place called Auberge St Laurent last night in Sierentz, which is about 15mins away. The place looked nice and has a michelin star so thought we'd give it a try, so went along and took the kids as well.
Really nice old place, had a lovely window table with the doors open on to the patio and lots of candles.

Kids had a kids menu, or one that they put together for them, which was nice of them (which was the amuse, veal and then ice cream - all very tasty) and we had the tasting menu which was 7 courses (but the mrs decided we should have the cheese course as well. I'm still full.

The meal was really nice, but certain things let it down, which were some basics like the scallops were massively overdone. I'd prefer them under, if anything. My turbot was perfectly cooked but the lady said hers was over as well and the langoustine dish needed some more salt (and I'm not a big salt person). Saying that, it was a great experience, they were excellent staff and the food was good. I just thought, at the 1 star level it could have been more consistent.

Wine was very nice; started with a Kir, which was nice and then a gewurztraminer to start the meal, followed by a Sancere, then a Bordeaux to finish off. All were very reasonable as well.

Total for 4 of us was about 380EUR including tip.

Some pics:
25e316e8dc2911e1ba4022000a1e8932_7.jpg

ed5abb50dc2811e1a0c81231380ff428_7.jpg

c5075618dc2811e1880f22000a1e9e21_7.jpg

7f16164edc2811e1b17a22000a1cdd10_7.jpg

63481174dc2811e1a0d822000a1c9e24_7.jpg

23e47428dc2811e1b4791231381b4b1e_7.jpg

c37d1252dc2711e1a5a31231381b3f77_7.jpg

01a45900dc2811e1900e22000a1e8691_7.jpg

7d201c1edc2711e1a3461231381315e1_7.jpg

358d25ccdc2711e1a58122000a1c91a3_7.jpg

Morning. So Friday night was date night and so we thought as it had been so long we'd go somewhere quite special so we went to Auberge de L'ill (http://www.auberge-de-l-ill.com/V2/index.html) just up outside Colmar.

The place is fantastic, the setting over a lake with their beautiful garden is really nice and the decor of the place is really, really nice.

Meal was probably one of the best I've ever eaten, it was superb and the wine was damn nice as well. These guys have held 3 *s since 1967 or something and you can see why, it is well worth the trip.

It isn't cheap though, so I don't think every Friday will be popping up there. We both had the taster menu, with a bottle of wine, extra red glass each for veal course, champagne cocktails and coffees and it was something like 465 euros. I'd definitely go back, but Mrs wants to try the 3 kings in Basel now.

Anyway, pics:

fc12c710ddcb11e1a9be22000a1e8b1a_7.jpg

48620446ddcc11e191a022000a1e8839_7.jpg

8b8a0facddcc11e1b03f123138104623_7.jpg

c671260addcc11e19cf6123138204346_7.jpg

f5feec36ddcc11e1985822000a1d011d_7.jpg

259cf49cddcd11e1a77722000a1e95c3_7.jpg

5b5ddbb4ddcd11e19ed51231381000d3_7.jpg

85aa81f6ddcd11e1ad6922000a1e8b8a_7.jpg

b32f91acddcd11e1bccc22000a1e8b84_7.jpg

I forgot to take a pic, and tucked right in...

ee41b2caddcd11e1a2fe22000a1e8a58_7.jpg

1f9968f4ddce11e1adda22000a1e869b_7.jpg

571476caddce11e1a0d822000a1c9e24_7.jpg

Outside, finished the night with coffee overlooking the river...
db3e6280ddb511e19b5b1231381b21c5_7.jpg

67d45992ddcb11e19f661231381b69db_7.jpg

:)

Wow! That looks utterly stunning mate, thanks for posting. Not sure on the instagram-esque photos, but that's just me :p

I'm looking to go and stay somewhere special for our 1st anniversary next year. I did look at The Waterside Inn & Le Manouir, but they are asking silly money for food & a bed, and I think I'd be better heading over to france and staying for 3 or 4 nights somewhere nice. I've been looking at San Sebastian as well

After all the elegant pics I thought it best to bring some balance

"hot and juicy crawfish" in Vegas

They just cook the stuff by the pound in spices and dump the bags on the table

1lb Shrimp, 1lb Snow crab legs, 1lb Crawfish, 4 corn on cob, fries and 2 beers each for £50 inc tip, awesome

just don't wear your best clothes

p1010438ne.jpg

You sir have made my day, Sounds and looks epic, the look on your face 'does' me as well, like a young child when santa's been, superb.

I did The Wolseley on Friday night with the family as it was my sisters Birthday and I was in London. Place and setting were really nice, but I was unimpressed with the place overall.

The food was very much so so. I had the atlantic prawns to start, which were nice, but it was a half pint of prawns and some toast, for 17quid or something stupid. I then had the steak, which was pretty pathetic by all accounts and it was 37quid or something.

If that was all there was to moan about then I'd be being a bit harsh, but the staff were pretty damn useless. They tried to clear the dishes away as I was still eating my starter, and then got a bit funny when we mentioned it. Then, when they had whisked our plates away, seconds later the mains arrive. No breathing space, and makes you think they'd been sitting on the pass. Not nice.

They managed to poor the wrong waters in to glasses, remove glasses that were still being used and their general manor was shocking for the place you're in.

It's my sisters favourite place for some reason but even she was disappointed. I wouldn't go back there, so so so much better out there for the money.

Also went to Hawksmoor Spitalfields on Sunday. We were going to go somewhere else for lunch but I said we should do some Hawksmoor and I'm glad they listened.

Also started with cocktails before we went to our table. I had the lobster starter, which was awesome followed by sharing a 900g T Bone with the 7yr old. He loved it and so did I! Chips, spinach, tomatoes and greens were the sides, while the boys opted for mash and gravy. Wine was ace and not overpriced too.
Finished off with Mrs having cheese and us having boozy sticky toffee pudding. Think the boy got a bit ****ed off his, ha. Was immense though.

The thing that set it apart was the food, but also the service. It was so friendly, knowledgeable and really nice throughout. We had a 4pm Sunday lunch and were there until 8pm. They didn't hurry us, rush or make us feel like we needed to go, they were just really nice.

Would def go back here.

Goodman Mayfair.

1 x 900g USDA Rib-eye
2 x 800g USDA Porterhouse
1 x 700g Belted Galloway black angus wing rib
1 x 800g Canadian Rib-eye
2 x 800g Belted Galloway black angus porterhouse
2 x burgers
3 x truffle chips, lobster mac & cheese, 2 x mac & cheese, musrooms, 2 x creamed spinach, grilled onions

It was a very good night!

Went to Noma on the weekend when my sister and her boyfriend visited, we booked the table almost 4 months ago (sufficient time to save up for it!).

Was very worthwhile, the experience was out of this world, the wine pairing was excellent, and after 25 courses we were all very satisfied! Got to meet René Redzepi, he and the whole staff signed our Noma book which was the icing on the cake.

Won't be going back anytime soon, but its an experience I recommend to anyone. Was about 350 euro per person though!

25 courses? I'm guessing each course was like one mouthfulls worth of food? It amazes me how much people fawn over those tiny little helpings of overpriced pretentious crap.

Give me big helpings of reasonably priced and still perfectly delicious foods anyday! :o

Number 16, Byres Road, Glasgow

Having seen quite a few good reviews and that it had won quite a few awards I booked a table for 7. Got a confirmation phone call a couple of hours beforehand and they were able to add an extra guest in no problem.

The restaurant itself is a very small place. It's very casual but the service was good. The food is fusion. Everything was nice but not outstanding. I had duck with rhubarb for my main, the rhubarb was just a little too much for the duck. A nice idea and well presented but could probably have done with less rhubarb and something else added in to stop it overpowering the duck.

I would recommend it, came to about 250 for 8 people (stater and main each as well as a couple of bottles of wine). I just wouldn't say it was award winning food, although obviously it has won some...

Want to try the Bo'vine, The Pelican Cafe and Malmaison Brasserie at some point.

That Number 16 is tiny, isn't it? I've been past it a couple of times but never stopped for a gander.

Bo'Vine isn't great, Butchershop is far better. Best steakhouse in the city I think.
I've heard some poor things about the Brasserie but that was last year, may have cleaned up their act.

I'm going to go to Cail Bruich for their market menu next week before a comedy show, should be good. Been wanting to go for ages. Their alacarte is a bit rich for me this month but the market menu is great value.

Yeah it is tiny. It's on two small floors. Like 5 tables a floor.

I had heard the Brasserie had went downhill a little but may as well try at some point.

I was trying to get The Butchershop but could only get a table later on. It wouldn't have left me enough time unfortunately.

I was taken out to Hedone, Chiswick, last Saturday for my birthday. Had a stunning meal in a great restaurant.

Once seated, we were given an amuse bouche of a Parmesan crisp basket filled with white crab meat and a small cut of apricot on top, very nice. The Appetiser was an Oyster on mushroom foam. First time having a raw Oyster for me, and it was interesting flavour/texture. For the choices on the menu, I went with the Cuttlefish Tagliatelle as I've never had Cuttlefish before; very nice, I'd certainly have it again. I also chose the Grouse which I always enjoy when it comes into season. The standout dish for me was the Hare which was stunning. Looking at a recipe, it is a slow-cooked compote of hare meat that is bound with a jus, made with blood, foie gras, truffles and spirit. Amazing flavour! The Lemon variation (thin meringue base, a layer of lemon cream, and a sheet layer of lemon gel on top, with a lemon sorbet on the side) was beautiful and the accompanying sweet Riesling went perfectly with it.

The 8 course taster, matching wines, champagne to start with, and service came to £350. Worth it for a special occasion.

Back
Top Bottom