What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
To be honest we aren't going to be doing much wine tasting really, it's more about the food and it being a lot of ours 1st Michelin place we'll have eaten in.

I imagine a few of the lads will order a bottle of something for between themselves but majority will most likely be sticking to a beer.

Hopefully we'll find it better than you did!

Soldato
To be honest we aren't going to be doing much wine tasting really, it's more about the food and it being a lot of ours 1st Michelin place we'll have eaten in.

I imagine a few of the lads will order a bottle of something for between themselves but majority will most likely be sticking to a beer.

Hopefully we'll find it better than you did!

Hope you do too! What I would say though is that the red meat is very well cooked which I didn't put earlier and was definitely a big plus for them.

Soldato
Hope you do too! What I would say though is that the red meat is very well cooked (prepared/executed or whatever, not as in burned) which I didn't put earlier and was definitely a big plus for them.

My my what fat fingers I seem to have. Edit became a quote. Anyway. Sorry for double post.

Soldato
Wife's Birthday is next Sat and I've not got her anything yet... oops. (she gets everything she bloody wants anyway for godsake!)

Decided to fly her to London for lunch and do the Ledbury. Can get us in for May though, midweek, so that'll be nice.

Associate
Went to hawksmoor Knightsbridge last night with the wife. Both had their classics set menu they are doing to the end of March. 6 courses for £70, basically 3 starters, a main and 2 desserts. Way to much food so ended up getting the chocolate tributes boxed up to take home.

Soldato
On Friday we stayed at South Lodge Hotel as a last minute treat. We ate at The Pass (head chef is Matt Gillan) in the evening, having their 8 course taster. Fantastic meal in a great setting - the kitchen is open to the dinning area so you can watch the chefs they prepare the food. It's mesmarising.

Amazing, isn't it? I've been a couple of time and gone for the surprise menu each time.

Did you have a cheese coarse? They do fizzy grapes as part of the cheese board (they're put in an espuma and pressurize it) and they're really very good. Unique too, I haven't seen them elsewhere.

My only slight gripe is that last time I was at the table which is more in the kitchen than the others and it was really hot. Not to be unexpected considering the environment but it was quite uncomfortable at times.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Yes, it was The House of Tides.

The food itself wasn't bad, it wasn't up there with other starred places I've eaten but it was good. The first thing that was a bit off was after we had ordered drinks in the downstairs bar, a second waitress came up to us to take our drinks order with the drinks in full view of us at the bar. Just seemed very amateurish.

My mother doesn't drink red wine, at all. So we asked the first waitress if the reds in the wine flight could be substituted for something else. She said that wouldn't be a problem and let the sommelier know. When her lamb course arrived (the first and only with a red wine pairing), he arrived with 2 glasses of red wine. She asked if it could be substituted, and he uhm'ed and ahh'ed for about 15 seconds in front of us before deciding that a Chardonnay would be OK but stressed an awful lot that it wouldn't work. He just didn't seem to have much of a clue about wines.

We were sat down at the back wall, beside a table of two others. Beside them were 2 empty tables of 2, one being beside the window. We were also led past another couple of empty tables. We felt it odd that we were sat right beside another party, but assumed that the tables must be reserved or whatever. They didn't fill it.

As we were leaving, the receptionist asked how our meal was to which we said it was good but were a bit miffed as to the seating arrangements. It would have been nicer to sit at a table where one of us weren't facing a brick wall, or even beside the window. She quite abruptly replied that "better tables were reserved for a VIP who didn't show". I found this very rude, and quite astonishing that we weren't as highly regarded as guests as another reservation. The fact she said that it was for a VIP rather than just a reservation beggars belief in my eyes. The lack of apology and how curt she was did certainly sour the experience.

Am I being particularly picky and anal? I don't think so. Having spent £300 on a meal for two, there were just too many small issues to ignore and the final remark by the staff was quite out of place so I sent an email detailing my displeasure. I got a phone call from a member of staff, no idea who she was (oh yes, not one of the staff introduced themselves by name which I also find pretty off); asking for more details and apologised on behalf of the restaurant. However, I wouldn't be going back if I lived locally and I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

I like Peace and Loaf in jesmond a lot..we try to catch lunch their if I am stocking up on beer and spirits at Rehills which is just a few doors down

daz

daz

Soldato
I was having a conversation with someone the other day, and I mentioned that Chiquitos was awful. Their reply "Oh we love Chiquitos, but then, we love Mexican food". :o

Mexican food is amazing but the stodgy tex-mex, old el paso stuff they serve at places like Chiquitos is really not particularly enjoyable (to me).

Soldato
Mexican food in the UK is utterly dire!

I used to spend a lot of time in LA on business so I'd always go hunting an authentic Mexican restaurant and marvel at how it's done so badly in the UK.

Soldato

I used to spend a lot of time in LA on business so I'd always go hunting an authentic Mexican restaurant and marvel at how it's done so badly in the UK.

This is tragically true. It is getting better over here compared to 10 years ago, but the chains are still awful and even some of the independents churn out the standard staid burrito options that are loaded with everything apart from flavour.

The best Mexican food I've had is filling but also fresh and with a good balance of heat and acidity, not soggy and covered in cheese. Sorry GD, we need more (Mexican) immigrants!

FTM

FTM

Soldato

this to be honest..having visited houston a few times , the tex mex you get here is a pale shadow of what I had over there..lupe tortilla was a great family favourite!

frozen margaritas before dinner and top shelf tequila afterwards on a warm texas evening...fantastic!

Last edited:
Soldato
Last Thursday we went to Flat Iron in Covent Garden. I said it the last time I went and I'll say it again; I don't think there is anywhere in London where you can get as good a steak for £10 than at Flat Iron. Superb! I had to have 2 of course, along with baked aubergine and beef dripping fries
Flat Iron is amazing, I love it. Apparently they butcher on site too.

I'm actually about to travel to LA on business and I'm looking forward to the food. That said, LA locals seem to insist the mexican fare there is pretty terrible. Grass is always greener and all that.

In London I can't rave enough about Wahaca. I've never actually been to Mexico but I rate and trust Thomasina Miers enough to broadly accept it as very close to traditional mexican food. More importantly, it's lovely. Although on recent visits they seem to be amping up the spice factor on absolutely everything which makes everything taste quite similar.

I've heard Mestizo is decent but I've never been. I do love a good burrito for a Friday lunch. Benito's Hat is great, Chilango too.

When I was younger and my Dad worked in London I always asked if we could go to Chiqiutos. Oh the shame now :(

Soldato
I'm actually about to travel to LA on business and I'm looking forward to the food.

It's quite some time since I've been to LA (Yay! I'm all for avoiding that soulless crap hole) but I seem to remember that El Cholo was excellent.

In London I can't rave enough about Wahaca.

Wahaca has been on my list of restaurants to visit for quite some years and I haven't managed it yet. I shall have to do something about that!

Back
Top Bottom