What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Man of Honour
On Friday I ate at the Hand & Flowers. It was superb. Totally unpretentious menu and dining room but phenomenal cooking. I had their gala pie to start which was amazing. Curried sauce, very short pastry, soft pork (sous vide I would have thought) and a beautiful egg. Really clever and light touch cooking but hearty still.

Then I had duck a l'orange but the description just doesn't do it justice. The meet and sauce were stunning but it came with a mille feuille type thing with layers of rillette and black pudding and mushrooms which was delicious. Cheese and pudding all fab.

What a place. Can't wait to go again (booked this table more than a year ago!)

Soldato
I ruddy love the Hand & Flowers. I think we've been 8 or 9 times now.

We're back there in a couple of weeks for the Alain Ducasse & Tom Kerridge lunch. No idea what the food will be but it's bound to be good.

I don't know if you're aware but the booking policy changed a while back, it's 3 months in advance now, not 12.

Associate
I went to the Hand & Flowers a number of years ago, just as Tom was starting to appear on TV. We had a superb meal there, and after staying in one of their rooms, the full English breakfast the following morning was one of the best I've ever had. A know a number of people have been since and weren't that impressed with it, so it's good to hear a positive review. Might have to go back at some point soon.

Man of Honour
Location was a bit of a fag for me too but Marlow is really nice. Worth making time before or after your meal. Was surprised how reasonable rooms were, so would like to stay next time.

Soldato
I am so desperate to go to Hand & Flowers its location is a bit annoying as is its always booked up.

I've never had a problem getting a booking - you just need to plan ahead. Same day cancellations are occasionally avaialble too. They tweet about them now but on 2 occasions we've phoned on the off chance and managed to get a table for that evening. We're only about an hour away though so the journey is a none issue.

The Premier Inn in Marlow (about 10 mins walk to the H&F) is generally quite reasonably priced.

Soldato
Not quite last night but had lunch at Purnells in Birmingham last week. Had the five course lunch menu. Some excellent food, service was slick without being robotic.

Also got some vouchers for a trip to Sat Bains for my birthday recently - looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Soldato
We're planning a trip to Purnell's in December, it's been on our list a while and we're going to Birmingham to see Reeves and Mortimer so this seems like the perfect time.

Restaurant Sat Bains is somewhere I really want to go but for some reason we've never made arrangements. I think that'll have to change.

Associate
I just had a (not so light) lunch at Bar San Juan in Chorlton with my father.

It had a lot to live up to given the amount of people I've heard describe it as the best tapas in Manchester but it actually managed it. The entire meal was lovely. The only (very minor) gripe was that the batter for the calamari was a bit blah. I think they went a bit heavy with the cornflour and light with the seasoning. Everything else though....sublime. Easily the nicest tapas I've eaten.

edit: I've put the right name in now...

Went for lunch today on your recommendation. Agree with everything you said including the bit about the calamari. Solid tapas - pretty much everything we got was cooked spot on. Only reservation was that the waiting staff seemed a bit pr1ckly.

Headed to Barbecue nearby for some beans too and stayed for coffee and pastries in the sun. Sadly they were out of cold brew but their macchiatos are legit.

Man of Honour
Went for lunch today on your recommendation. Agree with everything you said including the bit about the calamari. Solid tapas - pretty much everything we got was cooked spot on. Only reservation was that the waiting staff seemed a bit pr1ckly.

Headed to Barbecue nearby for some beans too and stayed for coffee and pastries in the sun. Sadly they were out of cold brew but their macchiatos are legit.

Ah, glad you liked it :)

I've been meaning to try Barbecue. Glad to hear that it's good - Chorlton seems a bit lacking for decent coffee.

We'll have to try and meet up for a drink/bite sometime :)

Soldato
Went to Goodmans on Weds night, it was nice. Mac n cheese is a bit too creamy though, not enough punch.

Was at Pollen street social tuesday night though and that was a cracking meal. Better than the last time I went. We didn't have the tasting menu but got most of the stuff anyway, and the massive steak to share we ordered. Which comes with green beans... covered in foie gras and truffle... which is amazing. Properly.

Soldato
I really liked Pollen Street Social when we went. I would have preferred if it wasn't quite so loud inside (the hard surfaces really bounce the noise about) but couldn't fault the food. It's one we'll go back to, definitely.

Associate
We've eaten a couple of times at Pollen St. The first time was during lunch and it was almost unbearable with the business lunches making a right racket. We went again on Saturay evening and it was a lot better. Loved sitting at the dessert bar too!

Associate
Ah, glad you liked it :)

I've been meaning to try Barbecue. Glad to hear that it's good - Chorlton seems a bit lacking for decent coffee.

We'll have to try and meet up for a drink/bite sometime :)

I've not tried the beans yet, but they do a pretty good flat white and the pastries are nice. Sadly they had no cold brew when I went in.

And yea, I'd be up for a meet up sometime!

Associate
Was taken to Gaucho last night. Previous visits have been disappointing compared to how it was 7-8 years ago, and to what Hawksmoor and Goodmans are like now, but last night it was quite good. I had the Tira de Ancho (500g spiral cut rib-eye) which was tasty but not quite up to The Bull Steak Expert in terms of flavour and tenderness. Sides of thick chips (very thick!) and spinach were tasty, and the bearnaise sauce was very good too. I didn't pay, so all in all, a very good meal!

Soldato
I stopped off at The Coach in Marlow yesterday for lunch.

Portions are small, it's tapas style food so you're meant to order multiple dishes but I do think they're too small for the price.

I can't fault the taste though. I had steak tartare, duck liver parfait, chicken kiev and lemon tart.

Steak tartare is a particular favourite of mine, this was pretty good but it came with a fried quails egg and I would have preferred a raw yolk. I could have asked for it I guess but I wanted to see how the dish was. Seasoning was excellent and the mustardy sauce was delcious.

The duck liver parfait was outstanding. Rich and creamy. Served with toasted brioche and fig chutney. Faultless.

I love a chicken kiev and this one was very good. It was accompanied with a pea and lettuce salad. The peas were raw which I really liked. The kiev crust was nice and crisky and the inside had loads of garlic butter. Yum.

The lemon tart had a big hit of lemon and a relaly deep tasting raspberry sorbet. Delicious.

I drank tap water throughout the meal and had an espresso at the end. The bill came to about £35 which I think isn't amazing value for money as the portions are too small.

Soldato
Similar to Chonky, but went to Hawksmoor instead of Gaucho with the in-laws last night.

I've been twice before, the steak I had at seven dials was noticeably better than at air street, same cut and cooking time.

We went to air street again this time just for location convenience. I can never order anything but the ribeye, it's just too good. They cook it perfectly medium rare too. Sides were whole baked sweet potato and buttered greens, and shared a bearnaise sauce with the Mrs.

And had a measure of 100 proof 10 year Benromach scotch whilst everyone else had a pudding, absolute treat.

Back
Top Bottom