What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Man of Honour
Popped to Albert's on West Didsbury last night... Kind of disappointed really - I remember the food being far better than it was last night. I think last time I'd just drank more prosecco beforehand.

Man of Honour
I've not tried the beans yet, but they do a pretty good flat white and the pastries are nice. Sadly they had no cold brew when I went in.

And yea, I'd be up for a meet up sometime!

I'll drop you an email some time in July :)

I tried Barbecue on Sunday afternoon and was impressed. Can't remembered the variety of coffee I went for but it was perfectly made in ye olde aeropress. The guy also wasn't too much of an are about me asking for milk either (unlike the utter gimp at North Tea Power). I didn't end up adding any but I like to have the option without having to argue the toss with the guy I've just paid to give me a drink. /rant

Associate
A bit of a culinary tour this week for my wife's birthday.

We went to Le Gavroche on Saturday evening and had the Menu Exceptionnel with matching wines. We haven't been for about 5 years but it was just as good as last time. Simply superb! The food was beautiful, the wines matched perfectly, and the service was impeccable. The cheese trolley is absolute heaven for a cheese fan. Michel Roux Jr made his customary trip around the dining room during the evening, so it was nice to have a very brief chat with him. Absolutely stuffed by the end of the evening :).

After a trip to Bicester Village yesterday morning, we stopped in at The Beehive in White Waltham for a quick lunch. A lovely pub run by Dominic Chapman, formerly of various Heston Blumenthal restaurants, where they produce some fantastic food. I had a wonderful poached trout salad, and my wife had plaice with creamed potato and buttered greens.

On Thursday evening we're off to Seven Park Place in Picadilly for hopefully another fantastic dinner.

Man of Honour
B.Eat St Mcr with a few friends. Not really a full on restaurant experience but certainly a full on **** experience.

I don't know why anyone would rate it. The best food was the jerk chicken/pork...which was acceptable but not great. The guy that owns the (jerk) place came across as a bit of a gimp too.

Soldato
Was at Pollen street social tuesday night though and that was a cracking meal. Better than the last time I went. We didn't have the tasting menu but got most of the stuff anyway, and the massive steak to share we ordered. Which comes with green beans... covered in foie gras and truffle... which is amazing. Properly.

Date night tomorrow. Hopefully just as good as it was for you. :D

Soldato
B.Eat St Mcr with a few friends. Not really a full on restaurant experience but certainly a full on **** experience.

I don't know why anyone would rate it. The best food was the jerk chicken/pork...which was acceptable but not great. The guy that owns the (jerk) place came across as a bit of a gimp too.

Seems a bit style over substance, not sure I'll be rushing to go.

Soldato
Had lunch at Marcus a couple of weeks ago.

Went for the 'Taste of Summer', five courses at £49 but ended up doubling that by taking the Premium Wine Flight.

Food and service were exceptional and I like the restaurant. Not too stuffy, had some good banter with the sommelier and learned (I can't believe that I did not already know this), that you are meant to drink white wine with (the added on for £12) cheese. Had this Austrian wine with it (another £12 on top) which was almost sour but it just worked with the cheese.

Standout dish was the veal neck fillet with beetroot. Absolutely sublime, one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Little bit of carrot cake to take home as well.

£250 or so for two.

Soldato
I've been considering going to Marcus for quite some time but for no particular reason haven't got around to it. I think ouir next London fine dining will be at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester and then it'll be time for Marcus.

Next up thoguh for fine dining is Midsummer House in a couple of weeks. After that it's The Man Behind The Curtain.

Associate
Food and service were exceptional and I like the restaurant. Not too stuffy, had some good banter with the sommelier and learned (I can't believe that I did not already know this), that you are meant to drink white wine with (the added on for £12) cheese. Had this Austrian wine with it (another £12 on top) which was almost sour but it just worked with the cheese.

Standout dish was the veal neck fillet with beetroot. Absolutely sublime, one of the best things I have ever eaten.
White wine with their cheese course, or cheese in general????

I've been considering going to Marcus for quite some time but for no particular reason haven't got around to it. I think ouir next London fine dining will be at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester and then it'll be time for Marcus.

Next up thoguh for fine dining is Midsummer House in a couple of weeks. After that it's The Man Behind The Curtain.

Having been to Marcus, I was a little disappointed with the experience overall, especially when compared to other 2 star restaurants.

I'm desperate to go to both Midsummer House and The Man Behind The Curtain!

Soldato
What was disappointing about Marcus? I can overlook slightly iffy service if the food makes up for it.

Midsummer House was easy enough to get into. I called them in February wanting a table for my girlfriends birthday in August and could pretty much pick my time.

The Man Behind The Curtain was a bit more of a challenge. It was October when I tried to get a table and the earliest Saturday I could get was September 24th so pretty much a year away. At the time you had to call the restaurant after making a booking to pay a £20/person deposit. It took nearly a week or phoning every 30 minutes or so to eventually get through and pay it.

Associate
The seating arrangement was strange, sitting of a table for 2 but next to my wife, not opposite. Took away from the intamacy of dining together. Not all 2 person tables were like that, but several were. The wine pairing was unusual, and a couple really didn't pair well with the food. There was one course which was frozen feta and a mint verbena which was just wierd, and not nice to eat at all. The rest of the food was lovely but it didn't wow us, not like at Le Gavroche, The Ledbury, The Square, or Restaurant Nathan Outlaw. The down points for us are all personal opinions of course, but they knocked our overall experience. We would go back of course, but it just wasn't up there with the best of them for us.

It's just time that's stopping us getting to Midsummer House. We will get there at some point soon though! I can imagine that The Man Behind The Curtain is more of a challange, Michael O'Hare is certainly producing some spectacular food at the moment.

Soldato
Hmm, it doesn't sound all that amazing based on what you've said. The seating would bug me!

Like I expect most people did, I first saw Michael O'Hare on The Great British Menu. I hated his first course and was sure that I wouldn't want to go to his restaurant. By the end of the fish course I was making a booking.

I haven't been to Le Gavroche yet, it's on the list. Hibiscus is well worth a visit, exceptional food. Utterly faultless. Relaxed yet professional service which I really liked.

Associate
Hmm, it doesn't sound all that amazing based on what you've said. The seating would bug me!

Like I expect most people did, I first saw Michael O'Hare on The Great British Menu. I hated his first course and was sure that I wouldn't want to go to his restaurant. By the end of the fish course I was making a booking.

I haven't been to Le Gavroche yet, it's on the list. Hibiscus is well worth a visit, exceptional food. Utterly faultless. Relaxed yet professional service which I really liked.
It's certainly worth a visit to make your own mind up! Yes, have been to Hibiscus and enjoyed it.

Soldato
Foxlow in Chiswick, on Friday. It's the younger sister restaurant to Hawksmoor.

Started off with a Shakey Pete which I recommend to everyone :D

Awesome steak (Ginger Pig), fries, mac'n'cheese. The works. Can't go wrong, all with a lovely bottle of house red.

Associate
Flat Iron in Covent Garden, again. 200g of flat iron steak, cooked medium rare - lovely! I still think it's the best steak in London for £10.

Soldato
Flat Iron in Covent Garden, again. 200g of flat iron steak, cooked medium rare - lovely! I still think it's the best steak in London for £10.
I don't think you can get a steak anywhere else in London for £10 :p Love Flat Iron.

I went to Bukoswki's Grill in Soho last night. We'd seen a film before so it was gone 9pm so we were a bit rushed as my friend needed to get back home out of London. Decent grub and surprisingly cheap. My mate had the chicken burger (boring!) but I tried the fried chicken and waffles which was delicious. Pretty light on the chicken - almost to the point of complaining.. but lovely nonetheless. Slightly soured by a big group of city boys who were incredibly noisy and annoying but hey. I'd want to go back and try more from the menu, all the starters and other dishes sounded great and the burgers looked awesome :cool:

Back
Top Bottom