What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Oh, fully aware of it being small dishes, just the price of some of it. We had two small cheese fritters that were delicious, but cost a tenner. My pork belly with butterbeans and garlic confit was £14, and again, kinda small. That being said, I was fairly full once the bill was settled, around £50 with drinks and service; we decided to have a date night dinner once a month after payday and spending a little more blahblahblah

Soldato
Saturday night we went to Alchemilla in Nottingham. I'm sure I've seen @Rotty say that he's been there a few times.

Why had we not gone there before? It was an excellent meal, absolutely packed with flavour.

This was my menu. My other half had a very slightly different one, her first course was lobster instead of kohlrabi because I'm allergic to lobster.
7VaZRa4.jpg

I don't understand the concept of cheese being optional, so we had the cheese.
3Jxr0Un.jpg

We got all 10 cheeses and shared them between us.

The only thing that wasn't to my taste was one of the petit four - chocolate ganache tart with white truffle. The truffle murdered the flavour of the ganache and everything after it. I didn't actually eat the truffle, I picked it off but the lingering taste left on the top of the ganache was still quite overpowering.

That minor thing aisde it was an absolutely excellent meal. We're planning to return early next year and might see if we cna do Sat Bains for dinner and then Alchemilla for lunch the following day.

Soldato
Saturday night we went to Alchemilla in Nottingham. I'm sure I've seen @Rotty say that he's been there a few times.

Why had we not gone there before? It was an excellent meal, absolutely packed with flavour.

This was my menu. My other half had a very slightly different one, her first course was lobster instead of kohlrabi because I'm allergic to lobster.
7VaZRa4.jpg

3Jxr0Un.jpg

The only thing that wasn't to my taste was one of the petit four - chocolate ganache tart with white truffle. The truffle murdered the flavour of the ganache and everything after it. I didn't actually eat the truffle, I picked it off but the lingering taste left on the top of the ganache was still quite overpowering.

That minor thing aisde it was an absolutely excellent meal. We're planning to return early next year and might see if we cna do Sat Bains for dinner and then Alchemilla for lunch the following day.

We went back in September, it was our first Michellin star meal. Some of the menu has changed since then I see but I see my favourite of the Scallop with the coffee butter sauce is still on there. The service was incredible but being perfectly honest I don't think my pallette is refined enough for these kind of dining experiences. Several things we ate were very questionable to me, none of which seem to still be on the menu. But again I can't fault the experience and service, we had a drink on the terrace bar before too which was also a nice little spot.

Also I was amazed at the sourdough and cultured butter. I didn't think something as simple as bread and butter could get THAT nice.

However I do want to give Sat Bains at some point.

We did however go out for a roast yesterday, all the usuals we got to were booked so tried some where new, La Storia in West Bridgford, its a small Italian restaurant but their roast was shockingly good.

Soldato
I think the scallop was probably my favourite course. I really like scallops that have been given a good sear and some colour. The beef was a very close second.

I wouldn't say I have a refined pallet, but I do have an open mind and I'm a greedy sod that likes most food.

If you think the bread at Alchemilla is good, just wait until you go to Sat Bains. The sourdough is great but the black treacle bread is in another league! We were there about 3 weeks back and I chomped my way through 4 lots of it. I've been lucky enough to eat at lots of great restaurants all over the world and the treacle bread at Sat Bains is without doubt the best bread I've had.

Soldato
I think the scallop was probably my favourite course. I really like scallops that have been given a good sear and some colour. The beef was a very close second.

I wouldn't say I have a refined pallet, but I do have an open mind and I'm a greedy sod that likes most food.

If you think the bread at Alchemilla is good, just wait until you go to Sat Bains. The sourdough is great but the black treacle bread is in another league! We were there about 3 weeks back and I chomped my way through 4 lots of it. I've been lucky enough to eat at lots of great restaurants all over the world and the treacle bread at Sat Bains is without doubt the best bread I've had.

I enjoyed the beef a lot as well, the 2 that really didn't sit with me you didn't get to try. One was a duck a egg which just wasn't for me. The other was a beef tendon and langoustine, the texture really got me on that one.

You Nottingham based then? Any other gems you'd recommend in the area? We are always looking out for new places to try but we are slowly running out of new places to find :D

Don

7VaZRa4.jpg

3Jxr0Un.jpg

Glad you enjoyed, one of our favourites

taB

taB

Associate
Would be keen to hear if / when anyone goes to Simon Wood's new place, Homage, in Manchester that's wholly focused around cheese and wine.

Soldato
Aren't there quite a few fans of Six by Nico on these forums? I was excited to try it once it was easier/safer to get into town as it's not all that far from my office. Maybe not... ? https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/dec/10/six-by-nico-london-w1-restaurant-review-grace-dent

Six isn't an amazing dining experience, but it's a bargain for the price. I read that review and thought that Grace was completely missing the point. She suggests "doing it properly", not realising people can't/don't want to spend £90 on a tasting menu. She seems to bemoan the atmosphere rather than the food. Dare I say it, but has council estate Northern Grace forgotten her roots?

I'd still recommend it, it's definitely not Michelin star and you are in and out pretty quickly but it's £30 and the food is pretty tasty. I'd definitely go. I've been to the Glasgow one a couple of times, and also his original place.

Soldato
I'd still recommend it, it's definitely not Michelin star and you are in and out pretty quickly
Fair enough. I guess the problem with central London and around those areas in the West end is you're going to end up queuing. And if you're queuing then expectations are raised pretty high. Not to mention there's loads of cheap but fantastic restaurants all within spitting distance. Maybe a slightly tougher sell than in other cities? I dunno. I certainly don't hold her views as gospel, can't even recall the last review if hers I read!

Soldato
Fair enough. I guess the problem with central London and around those areas in the West end is you're going to end up queuing. And if you're queuing then expectations are raised pretty high. Not to mention there's loads of cheap but fantastic restaurants all within spitting distance. Maybe a slightly tougher sell than in other cities? I dunno. I certainly don't hold her views as gospel, can't even recall the last review if hers I read!

Yeah that's probably a good shout. There's a few similar places in Manchester but i imagine in London there's a lot more choice.

Soldato

I ate in Pied a Terre a couple of weeks ago, and it was fantastic. As we were walking there and passed Six, my girlfriend did say "Why did we not just book Six and save ourselves a fortune?". We left, agreeing it wasn't comparable. London Cocktail Street on Godge Street afterwards was fun, the host gave me a blowjob once I sat down!

Back
Top Bottom