What retro game would you like to see modernised?

Associate
I will be in the minority, only I would love to see many games redone for the modern age; with the exception of graphics.

Don't get me wrong, the quest for realism (as has been since the dawn of time) the ultimate goal with games.

Whilst I would love to see retro remakes, my ask is keeping the focus on tidied up graphics, fixing all those wish lists from players. Yes, it happens with mods, but one complete package would be nice. I much rather the visuals of say, GTA Vice City to V. A remake of Vice City with modern graphics, it would be insane. I dunno, I think it would lose its humour/cartoon charm.

Another example is the original Operation Flashpoint as it has it quirks which makes it so endearing to fans. For OpFlash, I would love to see cleaned up graphics, dense towns and what not, avoid overkill (the awesome Arma series have this covered). Simply keep close to the original form. Ultima 7 with modern day graphics could be immense! Only would it be recognisable from the original if the view changed to first person etc...

Ion Fury is probably the best example I can come up with to explain my point. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ballblazer by Lucasfilm Games (1984) In the 80s, on 8-bit computers, especially the Atari 800, Lucasfilm Games ruled. Games like Koronis Rift, The Eidolon, Rescue on Fractalus. But Ballblazer was my favourite, so different from anything else of that time period. The sound effects and music, again especially on the 8-bit Atari, was superb. 2-player split screen, or against Droid computers, you had to get the ball in the goal before your opponent. Set on a scrolling checkerboard floor, the 3D effect was amazing for the time. Gameplay was superb, especially against the more challenging CPU opponents. The Amiga got a update in the 90s, Masterblazer, which kept all the basic elements of the original, including the music. Would love to see something done on modern PCs or consoles.

Rescue on Fractalus! by Lucasfilm Games (1984). My second favourite Lucasfilm game. This game, when played alone late at night, literally scared the crap out of me as a kid. You flew a craft over a fractal mountain landscape of alien planets while looking for, and to rescue downed Ethercorps pilots - seen on your radar. When spotted, you would land the craft and wait while the pilot ran toward you to be picked up. And this is where the scares came from because you never knew if it was a pilot running toward you, or an alien pilot - who would then suddenly rise up infront of your display and start smashing it's way in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3yEhnB5sL4

Doesn't look much now, but back in '84, as a sci-fi fan kid this was the best thing yet. There is a fan remake here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZm0aUcK8kk -- Not bad, does have a late 90s PC game look and feel to it, but it plays well.

Pyrotechnica - Psygnosis (1995) - This was such a trippy game. You piloted a craft in full 3D space, similar to Descent, only instead of underground bases, it was kind of inside huge psychedelic-coloured cubes. Your craft had inertia which meant a learning curve trying to pilot the craft. Music was what made it, especially the haunting level 1 music - and on quality sound hardware like the AWE32, or Gravis soundcard, it was amazing.

Associate
A proper game based on Robocop, the original movie from 1987. Would not mind one of the original arcade cabinets nowadays.

Most likely an FPS with a sprawling metropolis - violence included!

Could imagine stomping round (or cruising in the Ford Taurus) with the original theme blaring, insane pistol and ED-209 making an appearance. :D

A bit niche, but if realised right, it could be awesome.

Associate
F1 manager Pro and grand prix legends. Still love those games now. Just wish F1 manager Pro could be modernised and given some new features/tweaking of some staff areas like how the designer could be utilised and made easier to use. Still the best F1 management sim for me

Soldato
Speedball 2 for sure.

Also while not exactly retro, supreme commander forged alliance but with very latest graphics engine and modern 6-16 core cpu support so it runs much better on massive battles.

Associate
I'd love to see a remake of x-wing vs tie fighter but knew that would never really happen.. until I read some news today that something called Star Wars: Squardons had appeared and was then taken down from xbox.com... even the image they showed screams x-wing vs tie fighter remake!! :)

Soldato
Speedball 2 for sure.

Also while not exactly retro, supreme commander forged alliance but with very latest graphics engine and modern 6-16 core cpu support so it runs much better on massive battles.
I'd love to see a remake of x-wing vs tie fighter but knew that would never really happen.. until I read some news today that something called Star Wars: Squardons had appeared and was then taken down from xbox.com... even the image they showed screams x-wing vs tie fighter remake!! :)
I'm with you both 100%

Associate
Wing Commander, More-so the latter games in the series, 3/4/Prophecy etc, yeah there's Star Citizen but it's not really the same thing, I want a grand cinematic single player campaign with actual acted FMV sequences.

Back
Top Bottom