What Retro Games Are You Currently Playing?

Soldato
Did the right thing and obliterated Windows from my mini-PC under the TV, for a Batocera install. After putting some games over, I ended up playing Fantastic Dizzy on the Megadrive.
Hadn't played that since I was a kid, but... My aging brain was just getting lost! Think tomorrow I might get on James Pond 2. Dizzy's item holding just isn't working for me these days.

Soldato
My retro interest had dropped off a cliff in the last year (particularly hardware) but currently waiting for XP to install so I can play some of disk games particuarly ToCA Race Driver 3, Rise of Nations, Sacrifice and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.

Soldato
Finished Metroid Fusion on GBA (via rg351p)

Until a couple of years ago, the only Metroid I'd played was Super, which is probably my all time favourite game.

I briefly tried the original NES game, through Switch, but it's not aged well. And bought Dread, which I liked quite a lot.

Fusion was interesting in that it's much closer to Dread than Super was. I didn't think it was great, though: it's really prescriptive about where to go, the boss fights are really bland (and a lot of the bosses look like they should be in a Megaman game), the damage enemies do Vs how much you recharge with picking up X's is irritating, and the sound is quite bad (a GBA limitation,I suppose).

That said, I enjoyed my time with it, it just wasn't even close to as good as Super.
After playing Fusion last year, I just finished Zero Mission, also on GBA.

I liked ZM a lot more, really. Felt like exploration was a bit more free-form, and it was more atmospheric compared with Fusion.

Of the four Metroid games I've now played through, my preference is:

Super (probably my all time favourite game)
Zero
Dread
Fusion

Decided to try my first Castlevania next. Picked Rondo of Blood on the PC Engine, as I hear it's particularly good. Only put half an hour in so far, but it's a fun start

Last edited:
Associate
Just finished yet another play through of Goldeneye on 00 Agent difficulty via the recentish Xbox release of the game. Modern controls definitely make the game easier especially if you set the dpad for movement so you can speed strafe properly

Associate
Just started playing chaos engine again with my lad, still holds up today, trying to get a teenager to not run around like he's playing fortnite though and take it steady is another matter!

Associate
I've recently finished Castle of Illusion on the Master System, I've always preferred in to the Mega Drive version although they are both fantasic games!

Back
Top Bottom