What Retro Games Are You Currently Playing?

Soldato
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis on Dreamcast

So my friend and I started RE2 on the DC on Saturday night. He made me put all the lights out in the living room, like we used to do as teenagers... Omg. At one point my Mrs popped her head in to see if we wanted a cup of tea, we totally hit the ceiling! :o

The game although obviously dated, looks great via an OSSC on a big LCD. It's hooked up via my AV amp so we get simulated surround sound too - the sound is a huge part of the atmosphere with RE2.

Sadly it was the controls that were a little disappointing and it took me a while to get used them. Truth be told im not the biggest fan of the DC controller: cable attaches to the bottom of the controller, rather than the top and its missing a rhs thumbstick to control camera angles etc. However this is probably due to me being used to years of playing with Sony Dualshocks. Probably worth noting I'm a bit picky and don't like the XBOXone controller that much either.

Minor control pad preferences aside, I'm really enjoying my DC.

Associate
I am selling a Jaguar with 8 games and a speccy with div mmc future as I need to raise money. They are on the bay. I don’t know if I am allowed to advertise them or not. DM me for details if you are interested. I would put on members market but I don’t have enough posts

Man of Honour
Been fiddling with a few virtual pinball tables...
Used a 40" 1080P LCD laid down at the correct(ish) angle and a 20" 1600x1200x4:3 LCD works really nicely for the playfield and backglass.
Needs a surprisingly beefy system though. But I suppose it is handling all the physics as well... Will be trying a 4K tv that's roughly the same size soon. That will need a beefier system, but 4k playfield sounds nice.

Caporegime
I’m having trouble getting the original Splinter Cell working properly. Do you reckon it will work inside a virtual Windows XP running in VMware Player? Is this a tried and tested method for older windows games?

Soldato
Sadly the tried and tested method for me and probably a lot of us on this sub forum, is to put together a Windows XP PC for about £35 and just play it (and the many other great XP era games) on XP itself, or Windows 7 if your copy of Splinter Cell is on Steam. I gave up with VMing XP (admittedly I didn't try it for very long at all).

Caporegime
Sadly the tried and tested method for me and probably a lot of us on this sub forum, is to put together a Windows XP PC for about £35 and just play it (and the many other great XP era games) on XP itself, or Windows 7 if your copy of Splinter Cell is on Steam. I gave up with VMing XP (admittedly I didn't try it for very long at all).

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a bit of a challenge to me now. I'm going to have to try it in a VM and see what happens.

Soldato
Tonight I'm having a crack at Daggerfall. This is the GoG version but copied over onto my actual DOS 6.22 PC. I've got a beer and some Giant Buttons. I predict half an hour until I get bored or frustrated. I might read the manual at some point so I actually have a slight chance of getting into it.

Man of Honour
Been playing a lot of the Aleste/Zanac series of games.

Mainly MUSHA and Power Strike on the Mega Drive and Master System.

MUSHA is fairly approachable, but Power Strike is brutal.

I've also been playing Zanac Neo for the Playstation via emulator. Again it's quite approachable but quite deep for a shooter if read through translated instructions, available online.

Soldato
I cant stop playing Dawn Of War.
A few years ago I had an accident and lost much of the use of my left hand and so a few clicks on the keyboard is all I could do, but I was ok with the right hand... Annoyingly I am left handed.
I did just recently go through the entire Half Life collection to try forcing some use of my hand, but while I managed to complete them all, it was a solo game, and had I tried playing online with some other FPS type game, I would have been stomped very easily as I cannot move from forward to backwards easily, nor can I strafe left and right without having to stop... So, its back to DAWN OF WAR yet again. I will also play Company of Heroes as thats basically the same game, but thats about where my gaming is limited to... At least it means I dont need to keep buying the latest GFX Cards...

Soldato
Currently playing three old games, albeit remade - C&C/RedAlert (OpenRA), Age of Empires HD (Steam) and Chaos Engine (Steam). Forgot how impossible Chaos Engine was!

I stil use an Atari Falcon computer and when Chaos Engine came back out, I ran it on the Atari and I too forgot how hard it was.
I then dug out Turrican and Turrican 2 and I dont have them on the PC so thats a huge shame, but some of the old games are vastly superior to some of the tripe we get today... Sure, the GFX and Audio are nothing short of amazing, but the gameplay is just not there with most games today.

Caporegime

I don't have a physical copy of the disc of Splinter Cell and neither Steam nor Uplay support Windows XP anymore so that went out of the window. I did try running it inside a Windows 7 VM and it was just fine although I didn't play for very long to see if the shadows were correct or not. The other thing I tried is running it in a Linux VM (elemental OS 5.0) and it wouldn't boot using Steam+Proton, just crashed. In the end, I just tried running it in Windows 10 and aside from the botched shadows, it ran fine. So I don't know what I did differently second time around.

Anyhoo, I decided to get the PS3 out of its box this afternoon and will buy the digital Splinter Cell HD trilogy (supposedly it runs at 1080p on PS3) and play all of them there. I don't have an Xbox One or else that would be another option.

Man of Honour
I don't have a physical copy of the disc of Splinter Cell and neither Steam nor Uplay support Windows XP anymore so that went out of the window. I did try running it inside a Windows 7 VM and it was just fine although I didn't play for very long to see if the shadows were correct or not. The other thing I tried is running it in a Linux VM (elemental OS 5.0) and it wouldn't boot using Steam+Proton, just crashed. In the end, I just tried running it in Windows 10 and aside from the botched shadows, it ran fine. So I don't know what I did differently second time around.

Anyhoo, I decided to get the PS3 out of its box this afternoon and will buy the digital Splinter Cell HD trilogy (supposedly it runs at 1080p on PS3) and play all of them there. I don't have an Xbox One or else that would be another option.

CEX sell it for £6

Back
Top Bottom