What Retro Games Are You Currently Playing?

Associate
Today I picked up Midtown Madness. I don't get any CD music on my modern Windows 7 PC, I'm trying to decide if I can be bothered to swap out for an older PC or not.

Old retro PC’s you need to connect cd-rom drive to sound blaster with audio cable attach those. Of course cd inside cd-rom drive. That’s how you can get music from cd audio tracks to the game.

Soldato
Yeah I've had that set up before with my Soundblaster AWE32 I just don't know if I can be bothered to set it all up again or just play it without the music on Windows 7

Edit - CD audio should "send" via the PCI interface on XP and later though anyway, I think it was just a W98 and earlier thing needing the cable.

Soldato
Yeah I've had that set up before with my Soundblaster AWE32 I just don't know if I can be bothered to set it all up again or just play it without the music on Windows 7

Edit - CD audio should "send" via the PCI interface on XP and later though anyway, I think it was just a W98 and earlier thing needing the cable.

I thought it was a chipset thing that allowed audio to be passed down the IDE cable

Associate
My retro pc is made for gaming. So here it is with specs.

-Pentium 150Mhz, 64MB RAM, S3 2D-videocard, 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB, Sound Blaster Pro Compatible card with Roland MT-32, DVD-ROM and with 32GB CF-card for HDD.

Last retro game I was playing was few days ago. Game was Dune II what is made for use a MT-32. That game sounds awesome with Roland.

Associate
I thought it was a chipset thing that allowed audio to be passed down the IDE cable

I believe it's related to the driver model used. Back in 2001 I had a PC running Windows ME, and when I upgraded to a SB Audigy, it was necessary to use either an analog or spdif cable. Turns out it was because the Audigy used VXD drivers, which don't support the audio passthrough that WDM does. I pretty much confirmed this at a later date when trying the kxproject drivers on the same card - they are WDM, and CD audio worked fine without a cable.

Of course if you're using 98SE or ME for retro gaming then VXD is the way to go, as the WDM implementation on those operating systems introduces quite a lot of latency at the mixer apparently.

Soldato
I believe it's related to the driver model used. Back in 2001 I had a PC running Windows ME, and when I upgraded to a SB Audigy, it was necessary to use either an analog or spdif cable. Turns out it was because the Audigy used VXD drivers, which don't support the audio passthrough that WDM does. I pretty much confirmed this at a later date when trying the kxproject drivers on the same card - they are WDM, and CD audio worked fine without a cable.

Of course if you're using 98SE or ME for retro gaming then VXD is the way to go, as the WDM implementation on those operating systems introduces quite a lot of latency at the mixer apparently.

There was a philscomputer lab video linked in the other retro thread that had a lot of benchmarks on that. The VXD drivers were a serious amount better!

Soldato
I had a great time playing this on PS1, and then forgot it existed for 20 years.

oLNo7fYl.jpg

Also, Mass Effect 1 just became retro. Some recent (well, recent as in I last played it a couple of years ago and it was fine) patch or Windows update has made my Origin version unplayable with 15fps in most places, on a 3700x and 1070ti. It does it on my 4770K system too (and my netbook). I dug out my old disk copy (I put the code into Origin to get the digital version years ago and put the disk in the loft) to see if I manually patch it to the 1.02 and play on XP (with EAX!) if it will run better.

I found a Codemasters Demo disk and messed around with Music 2000 for a bit.

Eugh. The Securom servers for the game activation are, no surprisingly, shut down or something as it won't connect to the activation server. :( Yay for this particular era of gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
Just completed wind waker on the wii u recently and I've now moved on to Zelda The Ocarina of Time on the N64. Bit of a come down graphics wise from the HD version of wind waker!

Soldato
I've bought Post Mortem on GOG for £2. I was expecting a fairly naff first person adventure them up - rubbishy writing, rubbishy voice acting, rubbishy animation - and that is exactly what I got.

It does have a wonderful atmosphere though. I'll see how long I can stick it out through the crap puzzles.

Back
Top Bottom