What retro things have you done today?

This week I picked up a nice socket A motherboard to recreate my first ever self build.
While waiting for it to turn up the actual cooler I had to that first build came up for a great price so I had to grab that too!
Both sellers pics:

Already have a GF4 mx440 and an audigy 2 that I had back then. Just need an athlonxp 2400+ and one of those nokia style cases and it will be just like my first self build (except that had an abit nf7-s and I wont pay the prices for that)

So after the initial cleaning of these speakers I wanted to fix the smudge mark on the right speaker:

IMG-3274.jpg

It seems the only way to remove the grille is to prise off a corner with a screwdriver then gradually level it out. You can then fix the dent you make in the grille afterwards before pushing it back into place.

IMG-3276.jpg
IMG-3278.jpg

It was quite dirty inside so gave them a wipe down carefully.

IMG-3277.jpg
IMG-3279.jpg

Then sprayed the grilles (before/after):

IMG-3280.jpg
IMG-3281.jpg

I only had bright white so thought I'd give it a go and see as ideally you want a sort of light grey/beige colour but didn't have any to hand. It actually turned out okay, its not as bright/mismatched as the final photo shows although a little retro brighting of the case would help a bit, not worth the time fiddling with though.

IMG-3283.jpg

Last edited:
This week I picked up a nice socket A motherboard to recreate my first ever self build.
While waiting for it to turn up the actual cooler I had to that first build came up for a great price so I had to grab that too!
Both sellers pics:

Already have a GF4 mx440 and an audigy 2 that I had back then. Just need an athlonxp 2400+ and one of those nokia style cases and it will be just like my first self build (except that had an abit nf7-s and I wont pay the prices for that)
im sure @kar got that same cooler from me. would be good to see how it holds up compared to something like the nh-d15 lol.

My Anbernic RG35XX arrived today, gotta say I'm very impressed considering this is £60.

Interesting device. Can you install Windows on it? Thinking PCem then setup a DOS and maybe early Win95 environement.

Edit, it seems not but it does look like there is already custom firmware 'GarlicOS' and can get other system like the Amiga working to some degree.

I've ordered one direct from ANBERNIC though, which came to £69.85 GBP inc delivery. Even if I play a few games and don't use it much, they seem popular on eBay for futur resale.
What type of SD card does it take? Are both slots MicroSD, what is TF 'Dual card slots, support TF card expansion,'

Last edited:
I've finally managed to get a Miyoo Mini on order. Slightly smaller than the Anbernic but otherwise very similar looking.

Anyone got any experience of them? Having ordered it after hunting around for ages, I'm wondering whether it's actually the best use of £70

I've finally managed to get a Miyoo Mini on order. Slightly smaller than the Anbernic but otherwise very similar looking.

Anyone got any experience of them? Having ordered it after hunting around for ages, I'm wondering whether it's actually the best use of £70
I thought the RG35XX didnt sound bad for the price and form factor looks good.

I'll inevitably end up messing around with custom OS but it's sounds like its early stages still so will leave it as is and add a few PSX games. Be good to stick Wipeout 2097 on there for some long train journeys and flights

Seems as all the ROMs are included on the 64GB stick, are these therefore officially licensed games or they're not and China just don't care about any copyright laws?

Thanks, guessed as much.
Pretty sure with all these type of devices now, many (or all) companies with these legacy system games won't care if they're available. Does this change any emulation discussion on OcUK? (seems as these devices are emulators with ROMs included)
...Or can we discuss the device, software interface etc. but not the ROMs side of things

Also, @KraniX how long did yours take to arrive?

Last edited:
Pretty sure with all these type of devices now, many (or all) companies with these legacy system games won't care if they're available.
Some companies are still incredibly protective of their IP (or IP that they've acquired through historical business mergers/acquisitions), and yet in other cases the ownership of IP can be unclear (e.g. games like NOLF). It's a huge murky grey area unfortunately.

Does this change any emulation discussion on OcUK? (seems as these devices are emulators with ROMs included)
...Or can we discuss the device, software interface etc. but not the ROMs side of things
Doesn't change anything unfortunately. Stick to discussing the device and general vague statements about the software/selection of games (e.g. something like "it comes with most of the popular titles you'd expect) , but no specifics regarding what emulators or ROMs are included please.

Thanks, guessed as much.
Pretty sure with all these type of devices now, many (or all) companies with these legacy system games won't care if they're available. Does this change any emulation discussion on OcUK? (seems as these devices are emulators with ROMs included)

Also, @KraniX how long did yours take to arrive?
I ordered mine last Friday, arrived Monday.

I hope you like it, it looks great and such a cool little device.

For me I wouldn't want to go smaller than the Anbernic RG35XX personally.

If you want to tinker and have short sessions am sure it will be fine, I can't imagine playing on something so tiny for more than a brief time.

The first, ordered Friday 13th, arrived Monday 16th.

I'd expect it to be quick as they charge £9 for delivery, They only advise the day not a delivery time window.
Damn, that’s fast from China. Mine might arrive by Friday then.
Already just read it comes with PC engine / TurboGrafx-16. Awesome.
I’ve ordered a Sandisk extreme pro 128GB card, anything else worth getting? Maybe a hardshell carrycase

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom