What retro things have you done today?

Interesting device. Can you install Windows on it? Thinking PCem then setup a DOS and maybe early Win95 environement.

Edit, it seems not but it does look like there is already custom firmware 'GarlicOS' and can get other system like the Amiga working to some degree.

I've ordered one direct from ANBERNIC though, which came to £69.85 GBP inc delivery. Even if I play a few games and don't use it much, they seem popular on eBay for futur resale.
What type of SD card does it take? Are both slots MicroSD, what is TF 'Dual card slots, support TF card expansion,'
The SD is some cheap 64GB no brand, heard a number of people have had issues so will be moving to a decent branded one soon.

You can have everything on a single SD card or split the OS and 'data' between two.

Damn, that’s fast from China. Mine might arrive by Friday then.
Already just read it comes with PC engine / TurboGrafx-16. Awesome.
I’ve ordered a Sandisk extreme pro 128GB card, anything else worth getting? Maybe a hardshell carrycase

I didn't get it direct from Anbernic, I got it from a UK based firm (can't say as would be a competitor). Not that much more expensive.

I hope you like it, it looks great and such a cool little device.

For me I wouldn't want to go smaller than the Anbernic RG35XX personally.

If you want to tinker and have short sessions am sure it will be fine, I can't imagine playing on something so tiny for more than a brief time.
Yeah, I'm only really after something to get out my pocket on the tube and have quick 20 minutes sessions on. Any longer journeys and I'll bring my switch

The SD is some cheap 64GB no brand, heard a number of people have had issues so will be moving to a decent branded one soon.

You can have everything on a single SD card or split the OS and 'data' between two.
Just read that too. I want to try and clone the 64GB cheapo card to maybe 64GB Sandisk extreme pro. These cards are MicroSD right, not standard SD? They certainly didnt looks as big as standard SD on a couple of video reviews

Then I have a 128GB for anything additional

I didn't get it direct from Anbernic, I got it from a UK based firm (can't say as would be a competitor). Not that much more expensive.
I think you can say the name. OcUK don't sell Anbernic RG35XX or handhelds as far as i'm aware

I've just cancelled my order direct at Anbernic as see a note on the website now about Chinese new year and delays until February! Ordered at droix.co.uk with DHL express for £72.90

I think you can say the name. OcUK don't sell Anbernic RG35XX or handhelds as far as i'm aware

I've just cancelled my order direct at Anbernic as see a note on the website now about Chinese new year and delays until February! Ordered at xxx with DHL express for £72.90
Ocuk don't sell Anbernic but the supplier you mentioned sell laptops and PCs which I think makes it a no no.

Ocuk don't sell Anbernic but the supplier you mentioned sell laptops and PCs which I think makes it a no no.

I think this is incorrect.

My girlfriend recently bought a wax melter. It was from Amazon. I didnt want to mention Amazon because they sell products OcUK do, I was corrected by Feek that I was allowed to say the competitor because OcUk don’t sell wax melting pots.

On those grounds we’re allowed to mention competitors if its related a product Ocuk don’t sell.

@Armageus ?

Last edited:
I think this is incorrect.

My girlfriend recently bought a wax melter. It was from Amazon. I didnt want to mention Amazon because they sell products OcUK do, I was corrected by Feek that I was allowed to say the competitor because OcUk don’t sell wax melting pots.

On those grounds we’re allowed to mention competitors if its related a product Ocuk don’t sell.

@Armageus ?
As long as it's not a retailer that predominantly sells computer related products

As long as it's not a retailer that predominantly sells computer related products
Still not sure. Amazon sell many many computer related products.

How about if say I bought some rocking horse poo and hens teeth from Scan, could I mention them? Of course I wouldnt buy it from them as they would probably show as in stock and available for delivery, but then be awaiting picking for 2 weeks before the order is cancelled! Damn I hate that company

Last edited:
Anyway @KraniX mine arrives tomorrow. I've got 128GB and 64GB MicroSD cards. I'll probably use Macriium reflect to clone the 64GB default card to the Sandisk one I bought. I read the card included is pretty cheap and prone to issues

Does the battery need charging overnight or anything? What is the battery life like on yours? I've can't find many videos on basic settings such as dimming brightness, maybe because it's still quite a new device.

I also have a mini HDMI to HMDI cable already so can test it with a 9.7" 4:3 screen and TV

Last edited:
Anyway @KraniX mine arrives tomorrow. I've got 128GB and 64GB MicroSD cards. I'll probably use Macriium reflect to clone the 64GB default card to the Sandisk one I bought. I read the card included is pretty cheap and prone to issues

Does the battery need charging overnight or anything? What is the battery life like on yours? I've can't find many videos on basic settings such as dimming brightness, maybe because it's still quite a new device.

I also have a mini HDMI to HMDI cable already so can test it with a 9.7" 4:3 screen and TV
Was partially charged out the box, it's only a small battery so doesn't take long to juice up, can play while charging.

The biggest issue on stock OS is pressing the power button doesn't put it into standby, it just dims the screen so is still running so I came back couple of hours later to an almost flat battery. This is resolved using GarlicOS.

In stock the settings menu has I think 5 levels for brightness, in GarlicOS there is a shortcut to adjust, I think it was menu and volume up or down, there is a list I'll share which includes save state etc.

Was partially charged out the box, it's only a small battery so doesn't take long to juice up, can play while charging.

The biggest issue on stock OS is pressing the power button doesn't put it into standby, it just dims the screen so is still running so I came back couple of hours later to an almost flat battery. This is resolved using GarlicOS.

In stock the settings menu has I think 5 levels for brightness, in GarlicOS there is a shortcut to adjust, I think it was menu and volume up or down, there is a list I'll share which includes save state etc.
Hopefully that'll change with a firmware update. I seem to remember on my PSP Go, the standby button put it in sleep/standby mode but it would still last around a month in standby.
Can't you just hold the power button to fully turn it off?

When it arrives, i'm still reluctant to install GarlicOS as have heard it causes issues still with PSX games (unless that's now fixed in a later version of GarlicOS?)

Reading the changelog for GarlicOS 18th Jan 2023 it looks like DOSbox has been added. This alone is fantastic if DOS gaming is usable, even early DOS gaming - A prime test would be a small freeware game called Quadnet

Hopefully that'll change with a firmware update. I seem to remember on my PSP Go, the standby button put it in sleep/standby mode but it would still last around a month in standby.
Can't you just hold the power button to fully turn it off?
There is a full shutdown option in the settings iirc, booting from cold doesn't take long.

There is a full shutdown option in the settings iirc, booting from cold doesn't take long.
My RG35XX arrived today, as did the Ecco canvas painting. Seems fantastic for the price so far :) Many great games and the OS is simple and works quite well.

k1Fb978h.jpg

Boot from cold only takes about 7 seconds and power off is a 3 second hold instead of tap on the default OS.

Haven't tried GarlicOS yet, would you say it improves game speed / reduces sound stuttering on certain games? I've read there are no working GPU drivers in the default OS or GarlicOS so expect game speed may improve as software does.

I've backed up the default image from the stock 64GB card and wrote it to a new 64GB Sandisk ultra. 128GB for anything additional.

Looks like a gameboy.
Yep, that's the idea. There are a couple other colours, I prefer the retro grey

It only has a 2100 mha battery, but it's a £60 handheld, what would be expecting for this price? It's longer than the average Switch lasts.

This day and age devices should IMO be lasting a lot longer. Or at least have upgradable parts. It might come. (Higher capacity batteries). I’m just shocked that it’s 2023 and we are seeing poor battery performance on devices like this.

It only has a 2100 mha battery, but it's a £60 handheld, what would be expecting for this price? It's longer than the average Switch lasts.
I thought 5 hours was quite a lot for a £50 device. I'm sure my PSP Go was less than that and cost quite a bit more.

Battery technology was / is one of the things that let so many device and appliances down... Can't you just carry a small power bank with it, there, another 10,000 mha / 24 hours of use

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom