What retro things have you done today?

it was Pentium 200mmx, with all the normal bits, Sound card, vga card, etc was sold as not working, ive got a refind anyway so im not to bothered, i just wish people woulndt use Evri. there is no case for anyone ever needing to use them, they are ****
I actually refuse to buy from anywhere that only offers Evri such has been my experience with them…the drivers seem fine, but it’s 50/50 if it’ll even make it to the back of the van :/

So after the initial cleaning of these speakers I wanted to fix the smudge mark on the right speaker:

IMG-3274.jpg

It seems the only way to remove the grille is to prise off a corner with a screwdriver then gradually level it out. You can then fix the dent you make in the grille afterwards before pushing it back into place.

IMG-3276.jpg
IMG-3278.jpg

It was quite dirty inside so gave them a wipe down carefully.

IMG-3277.jpg
IMG-3279.jpg

Then sprayed the grilles (before/after):

IMG-3280.jpg
IMG-3281.jpg

I only had bright white so thought I'd give it a go and see as ideally you want a sort of light grey/beige colour but didn't have any to hand. It actually turned out okay, its not as bright/mismatched as the final photo shows although a little retro brighting of the case would help a bit, not worth the time fiddling with though.

IMG-3283.jpg

A random follow up but my speakers made an appearance on RMC's latest video - nice to see them in use :)

Last edited:
Since we're on the subject of Pentiums and that era, I picked this up the other day. (middle one!) I have installed drives and drive blanks, something to replace the missing power button, and cleaned it up a bit since I got it.

Currently waiting on a soldering iron to arrive so I can modify the Dallas RTC clone with a coin cell, and I've just given everything a once over, taken the PSU apart to have a look at it, etc.

It looks good to me, but currently untested. I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I do the first test power up!

uSOibEj.jpg

The DVD drive is just temporary, it will have a CD drive in it so its more period.

rPCaMdO.jpg

I added the USB riser, but I still need to meter out the USB header to make sure I put the pins in the right places. I also had to re-mount the serial connector because its standoffs were missing. I robbed some from a GTX480 :p

qTO6HhH.jpg

Soyo SY-5VA Socket 7 Motherboard
Pentium MMX 166MHz
Samsung 256K Pipeline Burst Cache
SDRAM (unknown capacity)
Diamond Stealth SE (S3 Trio32)
ESS AudioDrive PT-230X
Vastec NT-200T 200W AT PSU

Got an 8GB WD hard drive coming for it. I'm going to try it with Windows 95D Lite at first, but it may end up with 98SE depending on whether I can get USB peripherals to work or not.

Last edited:
Evri finally delivered the PC, as expected i knew the PSU would not be being used due to water damage. Although there was more corrosion on the inside of the case panel. The motherboard tray and components appear to have been completely spared.

K5tat0l.jpg

r1mRvUB.jpg

So that got removed and binned. Stripped the PC down

Cirrus Logic PCI GPU
Analog Devices SB Clone
Network Card
and looks like some kind of video capture card been bodged with BNC Connectors.

GEub9Yp.jpg

powcoUn.jpg

1pQ3SXQ.jpg

gave the case a good wash and scrub , and sanded off any rust
RUEwLty.jpg

invH83U.jpg

PC partially assembled, it briefly booted into Windows 95 then after a few minutes the screen got corrupted and im assuming the GPU is the suspect. Ive ordered another.

CuuYOxG.jpg

rdxAmWr.jpg

RfRM2sE.jpg

Evri finally delivered the PC, as expected i knew the PSU would not be being used due to water damage. Although there was more corrosion on the inside of the case panel. The motherboard tray and components appear to have been completely spared.

So that got removed and binned. Stripped the PC down

Cirrus Logic PCI GPU
Analog Devices SB Clone
Network Card
and looks like some kind of video capture card been bodged with BNC Connectors.

gave the case a good wash and scrub , and sanded off any rust

PC partially assembled, it briefly booted into Windows 95 then after a few minutes the screen got corrupted and im assuming the GPU is the suspect. Ive ordered another.
What GPU have you opted for? Another Cirrus Logic?

Last edited:
I see EON are releasing a HD adaptor for the original Xbox. Looks great! I never gave the original Xbox the time it deserved. I just don't have the need for it now though that we have a Series X in the house that's back-compat

I just paid £35 for an untested floppy drive. What stage of the retro rabbit hole is this? :( :p
It's also probably best if you don't think of all those scrapped PC's which have been sent to landfill over the years, each with a perfectly usable 3.5" disk drive.

Last edited:
I've been tempted to change my pi4 setup to either one of these or a Mister FPGA setup.

I've been torn for some time as the outlay will be the same, or there abouts.
Depends if you want to lay in bed as your Mrs brings your breakfast as you play Sega Rally :D
...I said "there's no banana in it and where's my coffee?" she didnt look impressed.

Last edited:
I had a Cumana external SCSI 1 device. The external unit and power is fine. The caddy-loading drive takes the disc, but it doesn't spin up.

Looked on the well known auction site, and SCSI cd drives are hard to come by. The other SCSI cd drive in my collection is a SCSI 2 drive.

I don't need to spend money here, so it might be time to sell. It's a shame, but I could be waiting ages on this to remedy.

I found this in my travels too:

One slick machine.

Back
Top Bottom