What retro things have you done today?

just a small update on my previous post "the Evri PC" the fronts cleaned up niceley i think, i gave the DVD drive a wipe over tested in another PC and that works fine. I bought a new ATX converted to AT PSU, i didnt know they arent the same mountings!.. its just fits and is held in by one screw. its sat on brackets in side so not going anywhere. not sure if to just leave the top as its at the back, or spray it or wrap it. With the PC in place its not noticeable and its sort of a battle scar. just waiting for a GPU then DOS (DR Dos) here we come, oh and of course the stickers from geekenspiel are on the way

pO41TWI.jpg
YzhMN3o.jpg

A2zNm7k.jpg

Looking at the AT to PS/2 and serial to PS/2 adapters makes me wonder if you could daisy chain them with PS/2 to USB adapters, since early USB peripherals used the same standard and the adapters are just connecting wires to the right places...

I have some old USB peripherals that match my CRT... Would be nice if I can use them with my Pentium machine.

Last edited:
Looking at the AT to PS/2 and serial to PS/2 adapters makes me wonder if you could daisy chain them with PS/2 to USB adapters, since early USB peripherals used the same standard and the adapters are just connecting wires to the right places...

I have some old USB peripherals that match my CRT... Would be nice if I can use them with my Pentium machine.

The Serial to PS2 mouse adaptor didnt work, after some googling it says the mouse still needs to natively support serial to work.

Ah. PS/2 and AT are the same I think, just different size, so that one should work at least.

i will test further when i get the GPU, i have a serial mouse on route anyway which will stay with this PC. its the really quare genius one. It was the first mouse i bought back in the day, no doubt will need a good clean, this will also see if the serial pot is ok, although this one is 25 pin rather than 9

The replacement GPU arrived. I had to put the IDE HDD in a new PC and delete all the partitions, then booted from the floppy and success...

Next job, is get dvd working in DOS, and sound card. find a CF card that works and use that to transfer files. connect the front LEDs that i forget to connect and test. test serial ports with serial mouse when it arrives. and install some case badges

Qqkejqs.jpg

1snXepc.jpg

KOKqZk0.jpg

0TcGr8G.jpg

Nice setup! even matches the curtains.

That floppy disk box is most definitely nostalgic!

Thanks!

I am extremely happy with this one, because everything there cost very little, and it is reminiscent of my first computer.

I think this one will have a home on my main desk next to my modern PC soon. :)

Everything tested and working (had to swap out the optical drive for another one), Windows 98SE installed, and been playing loads of old games on it.
This is definitely my favourite system! Perfect nostalgia for me, the era of computers I remember from school and at home as a kid.

ycYtHtw.png
Oh man! I need a set of those speakers in my life!

Realised i haven't had a chance to touch anything retro in the last few months,

Only thing I have done is attempted a test fire my P4 ABIT board i got a while ago. Frustratingly I cannot get it to show post :(. seemed to fire up and show all the right lights etc..but no cigar :(

In the process of sorting out the garage to give myself a proper pc workshop / retro area so will go back to it once I have that all done :)

In the meantime found myself watching through some LGR videos as background noise for work, this did not disappoint (not sure my eyes have recovered yet though :D)

Back
Top Bottom