What retro things have you done today?

Nostalgia of Floppy Disk boxes. Recently I dug mine out! :)

UWCRp7L.png

Everything tested and working (had to swap out the optical drive for another one), Windows 98SE installed, and been playing loads of old games on it.
This is definitely my favourite system! Perfect nostalgia for me, the era of computers I remember from school and at home as a kid.

ycYtHtw.png
Looks great... but why the box of floppy disks?
By Win 98 era (even 95) I think the only floppy disks I had were Win98/95 startup disks.
Pretty sure most apps and games were on CD by around 95 and not much was installed on 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy.

Win95 I installed from CD which to me was incredible coming from Amiga floppy disks on my A500 with no hard drive! Win 95 I believe also came on 13 disks. Playing the shareware version of Duke Nukem 3D below me away (it came with my first PC in 1996)

Looks great... but why the box of floppy disks?
By Win 98 era (even 95) I think the only floppy disks I had were Win98/95 startup disks.
Pretty sure most apps and games were on CD by around 95 and not much was installed on 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy.

Win95 I installed from CD which to me was incredible coming from Amiga floppy disks on my A500 with no hard drive! Win 95 I believe also came on 13 disks. Playing the shareware version of Duke Nukem 3D below me away (it came with my first PC in 1996)

I only very recently added USB to the system. Previously I had been using floppies to transfer drivers and things. :D

I also have older systems, windows 3.1, DOS, etc.

But they are mostly for aesthetics... :p

I only very recently added USB to the system. Previously I had been using floppies to transfer drivers and things. :D

I also have older systems, windows 3.1, DOS, etc.

But they are mostly for aesthetics... :p
USB was indeed a game changer! (well, along with CDs)
I remember painfully using floppy disks still at college. They would regulaly die and would need to rewrite comlpete projects and papers... then I was introduced to a single 100MB zip disk!
Think the first USB stick I had was 4 or 8MB

Same! I'm sure they are Roland and the Holy Grail of computer speakers back in 1992+ Nice :cool:

30 years on and I still want a pair.

Hopefully one day!

Sadly these ones are knock-offs, they have the same shell but the tweeters are dummy's and the main speaker is smaller in diameter.

They look the part though!

The original version was called the Encore P401. There was also a good version called the Goodman's Active 75, and another called the Active 95N... And about 5 others. :P

The ones I have were included with Laser brand PC system bundles in the 486~ era I believe, among others.

Win95 I installed from CD which to me was incredible coming from Amiga floppy disks on my A500 with no hard drive! Win 95 I believe also came on 13 disks.

I had one of those floppy disk boxes with my Amiga 500! Also had Win 95 on floppy disk and yes it came on 13 of them! I remember some amiga games on a stupid amount of floppy disks too, Monkey Island 1 and 2, and Willy Beamish was like 11 disks?

I had one of those floppy disk boxes with my Amiga 500! Also had Win 95 on floppy disk and yes it came on 13 of them! I remember some amiga games on a stupid amount of floppy disks too, Monkey Island 1 and 2, and Willy Beamish was like 11 disks?
Multiple disk boxes full of (mostly xcopied) games. I had many many boxed games too and those collection boxed games like hollywood collection and PowerUp.

Simon the sorcerer came on i think 15 floppies! The box weighed a tonne!
Mortal Kombat 2 was the worst, only 4 but had to swap disk mid gameplay on fatalities, acid bath uppercuts and the like :D

Moonstone was only on 2, but i got to the end and defeated the witch thing in valley of the gods… then got a Guru meditation crash!!

Good times :D

Seeing that Dynamix logo brings a tear to my eye :)

How many of them still work?
Dynamix is Aces of the Pacific, my second ever PC game. Still annoys me that I threw out the boxes and can't find the manuals! I have slowly rebought a few big box versions, but they do take up space and some I want are pricy! I just need to figure out where to set up a retro rig.

Doing a quick inventory, I bought one of those USB 1.44mb disk drives and those I tested were readable - I nearly fell over (but early days as only tested a handful). The top box has my original games, the second disk box is mainly boot disks and stuff I have no clue!

I've just been mooching on GOG and the sale has Elvira, Links on sale, I remember these back in 1992 the time I bought Aces, so must buy them!

Aww. Dude.

The quick-fix would be to watch LGR's recent videos on VCFMW 18:

I've been enjoying retro-life recently.

I attended the South West Amiga meet last Saturday which was epic. The fact that the community is still pull amazing things together is ace.

3D printed key caps
An epic transparent Amiga from one of the Yorkshire Amiga guys
Mister FPGA setups
Upgrades on upgrades
Amiga OS 3.2
And then there's Vampires, Minimigs, PiStorms and all sorts.

On my Dell 90 Mhz PC, I had the 9-pin dot matrix printer attached which I eventually found the correct drivers for in Windows 3.11.

I then found Print Shop software and manged to print some tractor-feed-paper banners on.

I then set up an FTP server from my router and was able to use Ipswitch FTP client to connect and pull software on the Windows machine.

I bought a Yamaha subwoofer for £10 on Gumtree. The model number is YST-MSW10 which I'm using with my Altec Lansing speakers.

Finally I installed PGA Tour Golf and found out it had copy protection. So I found another copy which didn't. :o

I suppose one of my favourite PC memories is Office software with a 1000 fonts and clips art images that you don't need and I've recreated this and some..

On my Pentium 200 MMX, running Windows 95, I think I upgraded the graphics card. There was a S3 Virge 4MB card in there. There's now an ATI Rage II-DVD in there. I'm not sure. It seems to run better. It definitely plays the Wheezer video better in full screen. On this PC, I've been playing Super EF2000. There's the training mission of actually landing the thing. It's hilarious to shoot down the guide plane. I've also been playing Tiger Woods 2000 which I'm rubbish at.

I've also installed Panzer Dragoon and Virtua Cop.

On both PCS, I love listening to Midi music. The P90 has a Yamaha sound card with S2 Midi Add on and the P200 has an Ensoniq lite board in it.

I have taken a rough inventory of my stock and there's too much.

386 SX 16 Mhz
Other various Dos, Win 98, XP machines
Consoles including PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, Megadrive, Wii
Amiga 1200
Checkmate Amiga (PC based)
CRT monitors
Iomega Zip drives
2 x boxed copies of OS/2 warp
So many dvd-boxed-games for PC, PS2, Wii etc.
And a large collection of Amiga stuff, games, peripherals etc.

Add to that my love for flight simulation which I don't focus enough time on.

I think the worst thing is having a PC running Batocera which basically covers everything ever (including Amiga and CD32) up to PS3 and it does it really, really well. One PC to rule them all.

And the second worst thing was reading recently about 'Swedish Death Cleaning'. :(

I keep mulling it over of hiring our local village hall for a showcase of my stuff one weekend / 'retro computing meet'.

Other than that, I don't want to sell it because - hassle.

I doubt any of that ramble has helped here @LewisRaz

First dibs on your stuff? :cry:

All of it :(

Just not been feeling it lately, I 90% finished a video on a celeron 700 build about a month ago and have not touched it since!
I cycle all the time with my hobbies. When I've lost interest, I tend to pack things away; usually it's only a matter of time before I get the itch again. Sometimes, weeks, months can go by. It's nice to know that I can go back anytime when the mood is right.

I wouldn't do anything rash and sell, unless the cash can be put to something you equally enjoy, but understand, circumstances dictate.

If you sold up and got the urge in 5/10 years, rebought all your gear again - How much would it cost? Retro gear will only go up in prices! If you have the space and can store, take a break. :)

Last edited:
Aww. Dude.

The quick-fix would be to watch LGR's recent videos on VCFMW 18:

I've been enjoying retro-life recently.

I attended the South West Amiga meet last Saturday which was epic. The fact that the community is still pull amazing things together is ace.

3D printed key caps
An epic transparent Amiga from one of the Yorkshire Amiga guys
Mister FPGA setups
Upgrades on upgrades
Amiga OS 3.2
And then there's Vampires, Minimigs, PiStorms and all sorts.

On my Dell 90 Mhz PC, I had the 9-pin dot matrix printer attached which I eventually found the correct drivers for in Windows 3.11.

I then found Print Shop software and manged to print some tractor-feed-paper banners on.

I then set up an FTP server from my router and was able to use Ipswitch FTP client to connect and pull software on the Windows machine.

I bought a Yamaha subwoofer for £10 on Gumtree. The model number is YST-MSW10 which I'm using with my Altec Lansing speakers.

Finally I installed PGA Tour Golf and found out it had copy protection. So I found another copy which didn't. :o

I suppose one of my favourite PC memories is Office software with a 1000 fonts and clips art images that you don't need and I've recreated this and some..

On my Pentium 200 MMX, running Windows 95, I think I upgraded the graphics card. There was a S3 Virge 4MB card in there. There's now an ATI Rage II-DVD in there. I'm not sure. It seems to run better. It definitely plays the Wheezer video better in full screen. On this PC, I've been playing Super EF2000. There's the training mission of actually landing the thing. It's hilarious to shoot down the guide plane. I've also been playing Tiger Woods 2000 which I'm rubbish at.

I've also installed Panzer Dragoon and Virtua Cop.

On both PCS, I love listening to Midi music. The P90 has a Yamaha sound card with S2 Midi Add on and the P200 has an Ensoniq lite board in it.

I have taken a rough inventory of my stock and there's too much.

386 SX 16 Mhz
Other various Dos, Win 98, XP machines
Consoles including PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, Megadrive, Wii
Amiga 1200
Checkmate Amiga (PC based)
CRT monitors
Iomega Zip drives
2 x boxed copies of OS/2 warp
So many dvd-boxed-games for PC, PS2, Wii etc.
And a large collection of Amiga stuff, games, peripherals etc.

Add to that my love for flight simulation which I don't focus enough time on.

I think the worst thing is having a PC running Batocera which basically covers everything ever (including Amiga and CD32) up to PS3 and it does it really, really well. One PC to rule them all.

And the second worst thing was reading recently about 'Swedish Death Cleaning'. :(

I keep mulling it over of hiring our local village hall for a showcase of my stuff one weekend / 'retro computing meet'.

Other than that, I don't want to sell it because - hassle.

I doubt any of that ramble has helped here @LewisRaz

First dibs on your stuff? :cry:
Sounds like you have been having a great time!

It shows how out of touch with retro I have been... LGRs video was not even coming up on my feed!

I did also get approached by a certain company that may or may not do collabs/sponsors with smaller tech channels... But just no enthusiasm to follow through :(

Have been enjoying some settlers 2 HD on and off but thats on my main PC.

I am also full to the brim with PC stuff everywhere which doesnt help. Think I might sell off some of the newer stuff to make some room. Some of the cases I have would even suit modern builds!

Dynamix is Aces of the Pacific, my second ever PC game. Still annoys me that I threw out the boxes and can't find the manuals! I have slowly rebought a few big box versions, but they do take up space and some I want are pricy! I just need to figure out where to set up a retro rig.

Doing a quick inventory, I bought one of those USB 1.44mb disk drives and those I tested were readable - I nearly fell over (but early days as only tested a handful). The top box has my original games, the second disk box is mainly boot disks and stuff I have no clue!

I've just been mooching on GOG and the sale has Elvira, Links on sale, I remember these back in 1992 the time I bought Aces, so must buy them!
managed to pick up the ACES collection CD package cheap on ebay, so much joy playing Aces of the Pacific again. Remember my dad bringing that home on floppy disk when we had or DX2 system.....WHAT A GAME!

Sadly these ones are knock-offs, they have the same shell but the tweeters are dummy's and the main speaker is smaller in diameter.

They look the part though!

The original version was called the Encore P401. There was also a good version called the Goodman's Active 75, and another called the Active 95N... And about 5 others. :p

The ones I have were included with Laser brand PC system bundles in the 486~ era I believe, among others.
Omg I got some!

Proper Goodman's Active75's in black in what looks like good condition. We're up for £30 and best offer was accepted at £22!

Such excitement!!!!

Nice work!!

They were on my watch list :)

I was tempted but I don't have a black CRT or anything to match them.
I think that they will eventually pair up with my 19" 4:3 DELL TFT until I can find a suitable CRT.

My Athlon XP machine is in a black thermaltake Soprano case so should match up nicely. Ideal need a black mouse now though!

On the XP system I am sitting looking at both an X800XT 256mb and 7600GT 256mb GPU. Can't decide which to keep n there!.....any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom