What retro things have you done today?

It is a hercules, it looks like C10, C11 and C39 have been replaced with surface mount electrolytics as all the photos of cards online I can see are tantalums. I wonder if the tantalums were suspected of failure already?

Do they look like they've been replaced? I've had a look on google image search just now and eventually found one with surface mounts in those spots you mention. http://www.thg.ru/graphic/20010425/print.html (scroll down a bit, old THG review). Also seems there is indeed another revision that uses regular aluminium caps, with the memory chips all on one side of the board.

I had the matrix full tower (same as dragon but different pattern on door).
Door eventually suffered the fate all doors do, by being unceremoniously snapped when I got up too quick

Sounds familiar!

Good stuff, a decent PC CRT is something I'd like again but currently just couldn't use if I bought one - not enough space!

I will need to clear out some corner space and reinforce the desk, not used a CRT since something like 2002 so really looking forward to it.

Do they look like they've been replaced? I've had a look on google image search just now and eventually found one with surface mounts in those spots you mention. http://www.thg.ru/graphic/20010425/print.html (scroll down a bit, old THG review). Also seems there is indeed another revision that uses regular aluminium caps, with the memory chips all on one side of the board.

That’s pretty much what mine looks like, the one linked in the THG.ru review. If it has been reworked then it’s a clean job with good flow and no flux residue!

Good stuff, a decent PC CRT is something I'd like again but currently just couldn't use if I bought one - not enough space!
As I said in my other post. CRT is the way!!

My compaq one keeps making a static click kind of noise and the screen disappears for a split second. Might have to grab my other one from the loft.

Nice seeing @Firestar_3x old school photos! I think I have one of my mid 2000s set up somewhere. Might have to dig it out

I remembered my OG cpu cooler:

Would love to find one of those again

As I said in my other post. CRT is the way!!

My compaq one keeps making a static click kind of noise and the screen disappears for a split second. Might have to grab my other one from the loft.

Nice seeing @Firestar_3x old school photos! I think I have one of my mid 2000s set up somewhere. Might have to dig it out

I remembered my OG cpu cooler:

Would love to find one of those again

I went with function over form on my CPU cooler. I had one of these https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/114/alpha_pal8045_heatsink_review/index.html

That looks like a good bit of kit!

My approach was different... Tri colour LED fans. UV reactive IDE cables and about 4 blacklight tubes inside the case.. :D
Oh the cooler was an utter beast. It’d probably still do a decent job with modern CPUs. I seem to recall with a decent flow rated 80mm fan it was capable of dissipating around 100W of heat!

I’ve finally ordered some DDR2 for Shuttle #2, a name from my past (though that was DDR not DDR2) Mushkin!

Looking good mate. That card fits in there just right!

I found the earliest pic I could find of my set up:

Cant see the PCs mind. But there is a lot of retro in this pic! :D

The photo file says november 06.

Result, what did you get?

Just popped out to pick up that Dell 19" with soundbar, and the guy threw in a free 17" Dell from the same era. Wasn't expecting a dual screen build, but hey! Happy with that for £20 cash.

Nice, great deal that. Mine are 1908FPs, run one for retro and another for the servers, been ultra reliable.

Ended up with a 17" Dell M770, looks in good condition, £35 and the guy dropped it off from a few towns over for £15, will post some pics at some point.

Stripped the Socket 7 machine right down, case plastics have been soaking and have cleaned up well, but still yellow, case looks OK, has a removable motherboard tray!

Motherboard is a DTK PAM-0070S E1, nice to have a Socket 7 with ATX and USB.

dbIiRas.png

Nice, great deal that. Mine are 1908FPs, run one for retro and another for the servers, been ultra reliable.

Ended up with a 17" Dell M770, looks in good condition, £35 and the guy dropped it off from a few towns over for £15, will post some pics at some point.

Stripped the Socket 7 machine right down, case plastics have been soaking and have cleaned up well, but still yellow, case looks OK, has a removable motherboard tray!

Motherboard is a DTK PAM-0070S E1, nice to have a Socket 7 with ATX and USB.

dbIiRas.png

I’m slightly confused by the SDRAM and EDO both installed. Weren’t these usually an either/or not both? Can’t recall ever using a system whereby both could co-exist!

Back
Top Bottom