What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Nice! M-ATX SS7 motherboard. I had a ALi-V one a while ago but stupidly sold it. The one i had, had a ESS Solo-1 sound chip onboard. I think i saw this on ebay? Was tempted but far to rich for me :D Will make for a very nice build.

Yeah they've been on ebay for a while the price dropped a bit so i went for it, had been trying to get a M-ATX/ATX SS7 board for a while now with the MVP3 chipset after my VA-503+ babyAT board died(read murdered). but deals / imports kept falling through n then coronavirus pff!

I think the seller had more than one of these listed, I'd used them before so was happy enough to pay for it. I think the ALI chipset is probably more stable, have a few GA-5AA boards from gigabyte and they're really nice too but BabyAT. Now for the testing :D

Should be relatively easy to find an I/O shield for that as it's back from when they were all the same!

Should be relatively easy to find an I/O shield for that as it's back from when they were all the same![/QUOTE]

Think I have one that'll work so all good there.

Soldato
Easier than it looks iirc - fairly sure it just requires power (Either from a Molex or more likely fdd connector), and then a bank of jumpers to set the displayed speed.
Perhaps I should look into it more. The wire that came from it caused more confusion than it did answers. I might dig it out from the loft when its not 400*C and post a pic!

Associate
This week i'm going to tackle this thing. Been waiting for a specific CPU for it, but none have shown up on the bay so i will use a PIII for now and get it setup.

With the release of Unisound by Jazefox i'm going to try and do a mega soundcard build. Board is a GITOX3 which I've had for a while now, I will use a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI for the Video Card. Not decided on the soundcard's to include in the build yet. Got a feeling setup is going to be the biggest challenge in regards to resources.

vJFycxml.jpg

Soldato

Thanks for that! Saved it for later I would really like to get it going. The previous owner did actually say

This week i'm going to tackle this thing. Been waiting for a specific CPU for it, but none have shown up on the bay so i will use a PIII for now and get it setup.

With the release of Unisound by Jazefox i'm going to try and do a mega soundcard build. Board is a GITOX3 which I've had for a while now, I will use a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI for the Video Card. Not decided on the soundcard's to include in the build yet. Got a feeling setup is going to be the biggest challenge in regards to resources.

vJFycxml.jpg

6 isa slots +2 pci? what a wierd combo!

Associate
6 isa slots +2 pci? what a wierd combo!

Yeah! This is not your standard Consumer board but more of an Industrial Board, designed for specific applications. But great for soundcard builds! Being Socket 370 is a great plus. I want to Put a Via C3 Ezra-T 1ghz in it but haven't been able to find one yet. This chip is the king of Slowdown and works really well with setmul.

Edit.... Armageus got it in one.

Caporegime
@hohum, So finally yesterday evening I managed to experience a blank screen with your Voodoo 3 (so it looks like it's not capacitor related as I finished the last cap yesterday afternoon). Just as you said, it was working and then poof. Let it cool down and it was fine again. I'm going to have a look today at some probe points with the oscilloscope and take some "normal" readings when the card is working. I'm then going to wait and see if it goes blank again and take some "failed" readings from the same probe points and see what (if anything) changes. Granted I don't know what I should be seeing on the scope, but if I can find a difference between working and not it will at least narrow it down to an area of the board or an active component, fingers crossed it's not the GPU chip itself randomly turning off.

Caporegime
Got the Shuttle recapped and XP onto it. Ran 3DMark2001 SE both stock (2.8GHz CPU and stock 300/600MHz Quadro FX 1000 clocks) and overclocked (3.15GHz CPU and 450/850MHz on the Quadro). Around a 14% increase which isn't bad.

shuttle-3dmark-stock.jpg

shuttle-3dmark-oc.jpg

The card probably has more to give, what with being the same RAM as the Geforce 5800 Ultra (which ran at 1GHz memory clock), and the same NV30 core (5800U ran at 500MHz vs my 450MHz), but the 5800U had a massively larger cooler, and wasn't likely confined to the thermals of a Shuttle XPC case! I'll probably back it off to a round 400/800 for use as that'll keep the heat at bay yet still yield good performance (the same clocks as the "standard" Geforce 5800).

CPU has more to give as well, but I doubt the motherboard does, I can't do any voltage changes, and the Shuttle heatpipe was never the most efficient cooler. Plus 150MHz FSB is likely putting PCI/AGP massively out of spec.

Associate
@hohum, So finally yesterday evening I managed to experience a blank screen with your Voodoo 3 (so it looks like it's not capacitor related as I finished the last cap yesterday afternoon). Just as you said, it was working and then poof. Let it cool down and it was fine again. I'm going to have a look today at some probe points with the oscilloscope and take some "normal" readings when the card is working. I'm then going to wait and see if it goes blank again and take some "failed" readings from the same probe points and see what (if anything) changes. Granted I don't know what I should be seeing on the scope, but if I can find a difference between working and not it will at least narrow it down to an area of the board or an active component, fingers crossed it's not the GPU chip itself randomly turning off.

Ah, that's a shame! Will wait and see if you can determine anything, but no worries if not. Thanks for your efforts though.

Caporegime
Here's the shuttle as it stands, ended up having to 3D print some new feet for it as typically there were 2 of the original 4 remaining, and somehow the glue was literally everywhere over the bottom of the case. Nothing a little isopropyl couldn't clear up though.

In other news, my beige GoTek arrived today, so that can go into the Pentium MMX seeing as the K6-3 now has working USB 2.0.

shuttle-s478-after1.jpg

shuttle-s478-after2.jpg

shuttle-s478-after3.jpg

shuttle-s478-after4.jpg

shuttle-s478-after5.jpg

shuttle-s478-after6.jpg

shuttle-s478-after7.jpg

shuttle-s478-after8.jpg

shuttle-s478-after9.jpg

shuttle-s478-after10.jpg

shuttle-s478-after11.jpg

shuttle-s478-after12.jpg