What TV shows are you currently watching

Associate
Trying to watch mad men as its rated one of the best shows ever made. We've watched 2 episodes so far and its pretty boring, the mrs is ready to give up on it already.

Also watched the first episode of letterkenny and its hilarious, finally a sitcom thats actually funny, i hope it keeps it up.

Soldato
Just finished "Eric" with Benedict Cumberbatch very good show, six part series, and great acting. I liked the main cop who played a good role.
I thought it was ok. Decent premise, liked the way of dealing with the mental health issue but I thought that from ep3.5 to ep6 it sort of meandered to the point where there was an inevitability to the ending. Something a bit different 6/10.

Soldato
I thought it was ok. Decent premise, liked the way of dealing with the mental health issue but I thought that from ep3.5 to ep6 it sort of meandered to the point where there was an inevitability to the ending. Something a bit different 6/10.

The secondary story, considering the cops personal life persuasions, was handled well.
Thinking also about the time the series was set in

Soldato

Tried to watch it a few years ago but only managed to watch the first episode and I didn't think it was much good so didn't watch any more.

Then a few weeks ago, I said I would give it a proper go and started to watch it again.

I am now nearly finished the first season and I think it's rubbish. The acting isn't much good. The decisions made by both the terrorists, secret service and basically every one else are mind numbingly stupid. How incompetent are the CTU?

Jack Bauer is an idiot. Like when he was trying to get away from the secret service(who are equally incompetent) He took a waitress hostage and went into construction site and rang the CTU to get them to deliver a car to a certain street corner. In the meantime the secret service showed up at the construction site and went to search for Jack Bauer. But completely ignored the the building Jack was in. They actually stood outside the window looking up. But, did they think to go look in the first building you see as you enter the site? Nope!! LOL

Anyway, Jack asks the waitress to go get the car and drive it to the street at the back of the building they are in. He gives reasons why he isn't able to go get it. Now from the way he was talking, I thought the car was miles away, so I guessed that was fair enough. But of course, she doesn't go get the car, She just goes down and tells the secret service where Jack is. What does he do, jumps out the back window and runs across the road to where the car the is. It was less than 100 yards from where he was. I mean how stupid is that? He could have jumped out the window and got the car at any stage without any fuss or bother.

The whole show is terrible. And I just after reading that it gets worse after season 4 as the writing gets bad. LOL the writing is terrible now, can't imagine how much worse it could get.

Soldato
Trying to watch mad men as its rated one of the best shows ever made. We've watched 2 episodes so far and its pretty boring, the mrs is ready to give up on it already.

Also watched the first episode of letterkenny and its hilarious, finally a sitcom thats actually funny, i hope it keeps it up.

I thought the same about mad men, but persevered. You'd think a TV series about advertising would be dull. Wrong, it's a great show, just takes a while to get the characters and get into the setting. I ended up binging all of it.

Man of Honour

Tried to watch it a few years ago but only managed to watch the first episode and I didn't think it was much good so didn't watch any more.

Then a few weeks ago, I said I would give it a proper go and started to watch it again.

I am now nearly finished the first season and I think it's rubbish. The acting isn't much good. The decisions made by both the terrorists, secret service and basically every one else are mind numbingly stupid. How incompetent are the CTU?

Jack Bauer is an idiot. Like when he was trying to get away from the secret service(who are equally incompetent) He took a waitress hostage and went into construction site and rang the CTU to get them to deliver a car to a certain street corner. In the meantime the secret service showed up at the construction site and went to search for Jack Bauer. But completely ignored the the building Jack was in. They actually stood outside the window looking up. But, did they think to go look in the first building you see as you enter the site? Nope!! LOL

Anyway, Jack asks the waitress to go get the car and drive it to the street at the back of the building they are in. He gives reasons why he isn't able to go get it. Now from the way he was talking, I thought the car was miles away, so I guessed that was fair enough. But of course, she doesn't go get the car, She just goes down and tells the secret service where Jack is. What does he do, jumps out the back window and runs across the road to where the car the is. It was less than 100 yards from where he was. I mean how stupid is that? He could have jumped out the window and got the car at any stage without any fuss or bother.

The whole show is terrible. And I just after reading that it gets worse after season 4 as the writing gets bad. LOL the writing is terrible now, can't imagine how much worse it could get.
24 is an interesting one and one which I think highlights the difference between the "old" way of watching TV and the "new" way.

When 24 first came out, over 20 years ago now, I thought it was brilliant. Very unique and at the time it was very much the talk of the office the following morning, a true water cooler show.

However, I tried rewatching it last year and two things hit home, the first was that (much like the X-Files) it is very much a show of its time and , like the X-Files, it doesnt stand up so well over 20 years later...but the 2nd thing I noticed was much more interesting, it was that 24 REALLY doesnt work at all in the modern binge multiple episodes format of streaming tv. It worked pretty well 20+ years ago when you were only watching 1 episode a week, the things like time/distance and the rather silly bits, like people getting captured, escaping, recaptured, escaping, recaptured etc were not so obvious because you were only watching 1 hour of it a week but when I tried rewatching it last year in the more common modern binge stream format, watching multiple episodes in a row really just highlighted those things. Its not the only show that suffers when watched in binge stream mode rather than 1 episode per week format, recently I've noticed the same when trying to rewatch X-Files, Bones and House. All suffer badly when watching multiple episodes in the way we are now used to, in comparison to when I watched them originally 2 decades ago in a 1 per week format.

Soldato
Never really noticed it myself at the time. We tended to wait till the DVD box set of each series of 24 came out then watched it, so were sort of bingeing it.

But it’s definitely a case that most things have moved on in terms of how they tend to flow now with 24-style series. And it was never really that good.

The Sopranos etc still works fine by contrast.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
it is very much a show of its time

Yeah indeed, I really enjoyed it at the time, though even then I found some stuff incredibly dumb, but I've tried rewatching it twice in more recent years and just can't get past how dumb some stuff is.

only 2 eps out so far though and too early to tell if it could be any good

Watched two episodes didn't really feel it a few things felt too manufactured like they were either predictable or predictable red herrings and that kind of killed it for me. I ended up turning it off and pushed through Severance instead which was better than I expected - I'd got it mixed up with another show before and didn't bother with it at the time thinking I wouldn't be interested.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Rather enjoying Pauline (Disney+), it's a quirky show about a young woman who's accidentally pregnant with the child of the son of the Devil who is probably going to be the anti-Christ. In German, but obviously you can switch on subtitles, or even dubbing if you're a heathen. I'm only three episodes in, and watching it in German so I'm struggling to follow some of the dialogue, but it's been really good so far.

Caporegime
If you'd told me a week ago I'd be raving about a dark show with a Monster's Inc invisible friend, Benedict Cumberbatch and an awesome soundtrack - I would have laughed.

Really liked Eric.

Back
Top Bottom