What TV shows are you currently watching

Soldato
Ok, just finished season 2 of 'Line of Duty' and I can't decide whether I just watched a work of creative genius, or the most contrived bit of dramatic manipulation I've ever watched.

Either way, I enjoyed it and Keeley Hawes went up in my estimation as an actress.

Associate
On to Ozark at the moment on Netflix, thought it was a bit of a slow starter but I’m on to the 8th episode now it’s not to bad, I have a lot of time to fill in

Soldato
Finished After Life, I think I would go with 'it's good'.

Started 'Love, Death & Robots' and 3 eps in I would go with 'hmm?'

Getting quite bored with Gotham though. Just watched S5E8 and it seemed quite a waste of time.

Soldato
Felt like that at the end of S1 and despite numerous people telling me it improves, I can't bring myself to go back to it.

We got up to Series 3 and found more reasons to stop watching it than continue.

Watching After Life on Netflix, half way through the series and we're enjoying it so far. A pity that it is only a short series.

Started watching Idres Elba in a Netflix series called "Turn up Charlie", a very different role to what we expect of Idres..! He plays the role of a broke musician, having enjoyed a one hit many years ago. He now ends up as a nanny to a spoilt brat of a child, at least that's how she acts in the two episodes we have watched. Not bad so far, not being sure what to expect. Each episode being less than 30 mins.

Soldato
Started watching Idres Elba in a Netflix series called "Turn up Charlie", a very different role to what we expect of Idres..! He plays the role of a broke musician, having enjoyed a one hit many years ago. He now ends up as a nanny to a spoilt brat of a child, at least that's how she acts in the two episodes we have watched. Not bad so far, not being sure what to expect. Each episode being less than 30 mins.

Watched the first episode a few nights ago after a few drinks and really liked it, gonna crack on with it this week.

He's also just done a video with Wiley and he's actually MC'ing on it...for a few seconds at least.

Soldato
Idris is a legit musician in is own right. Talented guy.

Felt like that at the end of S1 and despite numerous people telling me it improves, I can't bring myself to go back to it.
Personally, I liked S1 the best. I'm not really into superhero/comic stuff (not sure why I watched it really), but the cop/noir vibe was what got me into it. I've not watched any of the latest season, as it's not on Netflix yet, but really enjoyed the rest.

Soldato
Personally, I liked S1 the best. I'm not really into superhero/comic stuff (not sure why I watched it really)

I think that's why I struggled with it. I have read comics, especially DC/Batman since I was in my early teens, so close to 30 years. There is over 75 years of Batman stories to dig into for inspiration and that's the best they could come up with, didn't give me hope for subsequent series. I also detested the Fish Mooney character.

Soldato
Started and finished the Madeleine McCann documentary on Netflix this week, thought it was really well put together. Amazing with such a high profile case no one knows anything even 12 years on.

Also the trailer for Stranger Things 3 - excited!

Soldato
It's only going to frustrate you more and more
Ok, season 3 of Line of Duty completed, and I feel dirty for enjoying being manipulated so much. My brain says I ought to be offended at being led around by the nose, but my emotions say it was a great roller coaster. There's definitely some great acting on display.
Otherwise that final episode, with such long interview scenes, would have been tedious rather than compelling. And I must admit to getting a tad emosh when Arnott was released.

Coincidentally, this week I've listened to this podcast https://player.fm/series/dear-lovejoy/ep-116-neil-woods-a-conversation-with-interview-special which covers the case for legalisation of drugs and the removal of the largest source of money for corrupting Police officers. Off topic, but interesting comparing fact and fiction.

Soldato
Finished watching After Life, amazing series but a little short.
Kinda educational as well, as we now know an alternative recipe for milk puddings and bread...!

Found another Ricky Gervais series to watch called Derek, seems to have promise.

Soldato
Finished watching After Life, amazing series but a little short.
Kinda educational as well, as we now know an alternative recipe for milk puddings and bread...!

Found another Ricky Gervais series to watch called Derek, seems to have promise.
I like Derek, probably my second favourite Gervais series.

Finished afterlife a couple of days ago. It was good, but not great. Slots in behind Derek but ahead of Life's Too Short in the Gervaisiverse. Extras is bottom: just never liked it.

Soldato
Right, that's it, Line of Duty up to date. I'm still kind of in two minds about how contrived the drama is, but nobody can deny how well they've executed the job of making 'what happens next' TV. I recommend it to anyone else who's somehow managed to avoid it for the best part of 7 years.

At the end of S4E6 I suddenly discovered I was stood up. I swear I was sat down ten minutes earlier, but at some point during that tense ending, I got to my feet without realising. That kind of thing doesn't happen to me often.

Soldato
I like Derek, probably my second favourite Gervais series.

Finished afterlife a couple of days ago. It was good, but not great. Slots in behind Derek but ahead of Life's Too Short in the Gervaisiverse. Extras is bottom: just never liked it.

We have watched all the RG shows you have mentioned, apart from Derek that somehow slipped under the radar. They all have their qualities. We both really enjoyed AL, a whirlwind of emotions whilst watching it.
Only watched the first episode of Derek, thankfully there are a lot more to keep us entertained .

Coming to half way through watching the Narcos Mexico series, after finishing the previous three series of Narcos, based in Columbia. Difficult to imagine that what is being dramatised was based on real events which happened in both of those countries.

Last edited:
Associate
Close to finishing The Punisher S2. It's pretty nice, all the gun shooting and violence is nice. Seems like this season they really wanna emphasize how everyone is screwed up in their life, no one has it easy and that Frank needs to cool it (as usual).

Soldato
Close to finishing The Punisher S2. It's pretty nice, all the gun shooting and violence is nice. Seems like this season they really wanna emphasize how everyone is screwed up in their life, no one has it easy and that Frank needs to cool it (as usual).

Sadly not remotely as good as the first season and i've found myself surprisingly undisappointed it's not getting renewed.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Finished Sex Education last night. I enjoyed it and she loved it. Not the usual thing we watch so was a nice change.

Back
Top Bottom