What watch do you wear?

Question for Rotty

What are my chances for getting a discount in Goldsmiths / Mapin & Webb, on a Tag Heuer Carrera

I have got discount at Goldsmiths on a Rolex before thought you should get something off, Tags depreciate really bad so make sure you get a good deal, The Carrera is one of the more in demand but I would still want 15-20% off

I have got discount at Goldsmiths on a Rolex before thought you should get something off, Tags depreciate really bad so make sure you get a good deal, The Carrera is one of the more in demand but I would still want 15-20% off

They have it up for 2100 at the airport, i'm going to go i at 1700 and start there.

I have no plans to ever get rid of it, so depreciation is not an issue :)

Any thoughts on this watch?

Seiko 5 Automatic Watch - SNK809K2

It looks good to me but I'd like to hear your opinions. Is £65 a reasonable price?
My Seiko arrived yesterday.

I love it. It feels great, looks decent, and it's not too chunky which is something that puts me off buying most of the watches I see.

I've got a question about the calendar function. Hopefully some of you are familiar with it. The date just rolled over to the 16th which is fine but the day went from Wed to Mie (I think). Presumably it's giving me the day in a different language. Is there anyway I can stop it doing this?

Also, does the watch have any way of knowing which month it is? Or will I have to correct the date at the end of every month?

edit, quoted the wrong person here, clearly for person Rotty was replying to

Tags are one of the brands that just bomb on the used market, could be worth trying to pick one up through one of the watch forums and treating it to a new strap, polish, service if it needs it. You may find you are able to save a lot.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I tried to by an Omega PO and they wouldnt entertain a discount at the airport at all.

never tried at an airport but I got 21% discount on a PO from a high st AD so maybe the airports aren't that good a place, well unless you are getting it VAT free

No retailer is authorized to give discounts by the manufacturer, period. No matter what they tell you - by giving you a discount on a certain piece - they violate the contract between them and that particular manufacturer. Many of the DF shops at the airports are in one or another way related to LVMH, most of them as subsidiaries but some directly owned by the Corp. You will never get a discount there, unless you get a really shady manager ;).
Of the more popular brands Omega and Tag Heuer are the strictest in this. Rolex on another hand are shown to be pretty lenient for some reason.
One of the best places to get a good price on a fine watch is in some of the Caribbean Islands. There you will get duty free price (usually 10%-20% less than the US RRP + some discount).
But keep in mind that purchasing the watch at a price lower that the RRP will auto voit your warranty with most, if not all companies. So if anything goes wrong you will have to deal with the retailer who sold you the watch rather than the manufacturer. Pretty much the same goes if you buy the watch on internet.

This is a cheap watch in comparison to many others in this thread but I have about £300 from my birthday that I would like to spend on a nice watch.

What are peoples opinions on the Tissot PRC 200? Not so much looks wise as I know it's down to personal preference and I think it looks lovely but how well are they made? Is the movement going to be reliable for many years to come?

Hqbu7.jpg

No retailer is authorized to give discounts by the manufacturer, period. No matter what they tell you - by giving you a discount on a certain piece - they violate the contract between them and that particular manufacturer. Many of the DF shops at the airports are in one or another way related to LVMH, most of them as subsidiaries but some directly owned by the Corp. You will never get a discount there, unless you get a really shady manager ;).
Of the more popular brands Omega and Tag Heuer are the strictest in this. Rolex on another hand are shown to be pretty lenient for some reason.
One of the best places to get a good price on a fine watch is in some of the Caribbean Islands. There you will get duty free price (usually 10%-20% less than the US RRP + some discount).
But keep in mind that purchasing the watch at a price lower that the RRP will auto voit your warranty with most, if not all companies. So if anything goes wrong you will have to deal with the retailer who sold you the watch rather than the manufacturer. Pretty much the same goes if you buy the watch on internet.

Buying a watch is a bit like buying a car,mno one pays sticker price. I know I may be on thin ice. But it's worth a shot.

Also since when he you needed your receipt for warranty repairs, generally the warranty card is sufficient once it's has been stamped by th AD

:mad:
My Seiko arrived yesterday.

I love it. It feels great, looks decent, and it's not too chunky which is something that puts me off buying most of the watches I see.

I've got a question about the calendar function. Hopefully some of you are familiar with it. The date just rolled over to the 16th which is fine but the day went from Wed to Mie (I think). Presumably it's giving me the day in a different language. Is there anyway I can stop it doing this?

Also, does the watch have any way of knowing which month it is? Or will I have to correct the date at the end of every month?
Hmm normally when adjusting the day it will alternate between English/Alternative but when it ticks over via the standard end of day passing it should move onto the next day in the same language.

And yes you will need to manually correct for each month.

R5GTT said:
This is a cheap watch in comparison to many others in this thread but I have about £300 from my birthday that I would like to spend on a nice watch.

What are peoples opinions on the Tissot PRC 200? Not so much looks wise as I know it's down to personal preference and I think it looks lovely but how well are they made? Is the movement going to be reliable for many years to come?

snip

Well it's a quartz movement I believe, so it should be rock solid for years to come. I have that watch (with the black leather strap) and I absolutely love it. I had it the Christmas before last for £200. It's now £270.

If you want a real movement then there is the beautiful Tissot Le Locle for not too much more.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/TissotLeLocle.jpg
http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/645/649645_111122135257_Tissot_lelocle.2.jpg

You can have it with a bracelet too. There is a choice of a black or white fascia also.

I've had one a couple of months and it's a very good looking watch. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom