What watch do you wear?

Associate
Ah cheers, just noticed the price! I don't think I want to spend that much on another strap that will only be form every now and then! If it was around the £30 mark then yes :p

The Hirsch Pure natural rubber will remain!

The SoTC currently...

SoTC_2021.12.10.jpg

Yeah it's.... a lot for a bit of rubber and I spent a long time trying to find an alternative. I wear it on this watch regularly though, and it's not like it's going to perish over time :D

Associate
After months of back and forth, I finally got the brown strap and got it put on the watch.

Had to reset the time 3 times in 12 hours yesterday, running slow by minutes after 3 or so hours... Foaming. Obviously past the returns policy, but I'm hoping they sort it out cause for a watch of this price point it's unforgivable.

All watches should have at least a one year warranty for anything going funny so give them a call and get it sorted out fella. Was it CW Sellors / Jura you got it from ?

Soldato
All watches should have at least a one year warranty for anything going funny so give them a call and get it sorted out fella. Was it CW Sellors / Jura you got it from ?

It was yep. Bit gutted... The watch is beautiful with the leather strap on.

I set it yesterday to the second at 3pm. By midnight (9 hours passed) it was 15 minutes out. 5 minutes over a month is acceptable and honestly expected, but 15 minutes over 9 hours is too far out.

Have sent my rep there a message and see what happens, hoping to get it sorted asap cause I want it as my daily.

Associate
I've seen macro shots and reviews (especially the JOMW one) of the SARB033 as an example and can say the main differences are in the case fit and finish and finer detailing found on the Alpinist SPB259J1. Even under Macro it's very hard to see any cheaper finishing on the Alpinist. Both the SARB and SPB25911 have the same bracelet it looks like and whilst it is comfortable, it offers basically no micro adjust and has pin and collar for link adjustment which I don't like. I am not a fan of bracelets anyway though.

I fully imagine the SPB259J1 would have been around the £550 mark had it not been a 140th anniversary limited edition. The dial is in a league of its own though and no SARB can compare even remotely. The lume is better, the hands are better, the applied markers are more striking, the crown is grippier, the water resistance is doubled but as a by-product the case is slightly thicker at 12.9mm vs the 11.9mm of the SARB and there's an AR coated single domed sapphire crystal too.

Having bought a lot of watches over the years in the £500 to £1000 range I think the £670 rrp is very reasonable for the quality finishing and details you get. The only two things I'm not a fan of are the movement deviation depending on positional wear, and the bracelet's lack of adjustments although both of these negatives are things Seiko has been famous for going on many years now in the mid-range segment so it's kind of expected. Hell even their Grand Seiko bracelets aren't all that for features either.

For me it's all about the tropic strap and dial alone. Edit* Just look at it!

cVGjwMz.jpg

Waaaaah lovely photo :cool:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I spent about 15 mins trying to get it balancing just right and trying not to nudge the desk in any way whilst moving the phone cam around all manner of angles to get the reflection of the monitor on the glass :p

Soldato
I was looking at one of these too, shame I didn't buy 6 months ago before prices shot up. If I were you, and taking into account the value of the watch, I would get a non-official service somewhere. https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/our-brand/omega/

Oh that's interesting! I recently started wearing my Omega Constellation again. It was a present from my parents when I started uni, but has a similar problem as dod in that it doesn't last the 36 odd hours it's meant to without moving. Servicing costs seem a bit crazy, given it's about half the cost of the watch itself (at least when it was bought!) so this might be a nice middle ground :)

Associate
Has anyone purchased a wooden watch? Looking at one from a company called wrist wood basee in Cheshire. I saw them at a makers market near me and they look nice. Just curious on the build.

Associate
Has anyone purchased a wooden watch? Looking at one from a company called wrist wood basee in Cheshire. I saw them at a makers market near me and they look nice. Just curious on the build.

If you like the look and you think they're not asking too much money for them, then give one a go. I imagine they'll be much like any other wooden watch you can order from China though, so keep the cost of those in mind.

I think nearly all of the wooden watch brands I've come across are basically just flipping them at a significant profit.

wooden watch - Buy wooden watch with free shipping on AliExpress

Soldato
Well the site seems to list a non existing quartz movement on most of the non chrono watches, I'm guessing it's a typo and it's actually the Miyota 2015 Movement which is about £6....
Throw in the fact you need to keep maintaining the wood with linseed oil (they sell a kit) so it's not sealed from moisture meaning it could swell, get that 'tacky' feeling etc.
The strap looks to just have a metal bar instead of pin and collar as well so personally I'd avoid them because I'd be expecting an issue within a year, most likely with the strap.

If you really want a wooden watch just find the cheapest option you can because I wouldn't say they're worth the money they're asking imo. If it's because of the 'eco friendly' message and them planting a tree, just plant the tree directly.

Having said that if you think the price is fair, you're only spending 'spare money' on it and not expecting it to last for more than the year warranty then it's probably an ok buy... I'd go for the metal/wood regis chrono if it was me though, it should last longer.

Soldato
What do people make of this watch?
Does it warrant the £7,000-8,500 price tag or are there better options out there for the money?
I'm in a bit of a weird place with 3 sub dial omega speedmasters, I kind of like them but I don't 'want' one because it just feels too obvious a watch to own if you get me so for me it's not worth the £7,000+ price tag.... I'd go for the 2 sub dial variant if I was looking at a speedmaster in the 7k range (not that I would to be honest)

As to better watches, that's entirely subjective but I know for the same money there are several Jaeger LeCoulture options which are not chrono's that cost similar (reverso, polaris, master) and from a personal perspective I'd be picking a jlc over an omega at those sort of prices.

Soldato
As to better watches, that's entirely subjective but I know for the same money there are several Jaeger LeCoulture options which are not chrono's that cost similar (reverso, polaris, master) and from a personal perspective I'd be picking a jlc over an omega at those sort of prices.

Yep, JLC make some beautiful watches at that price point. I went for the Master Control Calendar and it's sublime. I love it. Depends what you're into, but JLC over Omega any day (IMO)

Soldato
Tbh it is one of a billion Speedy variants. I'd go OG or look elsewhere. I'd be looking at JLC actually funnily enough. Perhaps just because they're on an aggressive campaign ATM.

Caporegime
Great watch. I nearly sold mine last week as I barely wear it but had a last minute change of heart.
If you don't wear something then sell it for something you do wear (or just get your money back), don't get emotionally attached to a watch unless its an heirloom. It's just a watch.

Soldato
The Black Bay Ceramic is proving hard to source unless I pay a 10-15% premium to flippers :(

I was going to have a chat with my AD re one of these. Problem is I’ve already got 3 Tudor watches and it feels just more of the same.

recently picked up an Omega Seamaster 300 2531.80 again, one I totally regret selling in 2014 and paid double now.

Back
Top Bottom