What watch do you wear?

Soldato
PXL-20221110-184646425.jpg

Soldato
According to people who have handled the watch and movement inside, apparently it's rough around the edges, so the Yema QC does not seem to have improved :/
It's a shame that they haven't learnt from their previous issues. It's not a good look to keep pumping out stuff that's a bit shoddy.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Define bad though? Movement regulation and adjustment tolerance has moved on massively over the years. i remember when micro brand watches with Miyota movements or Seiko NH35s were running either side of 30-45s a day. That was pretty poor but that was what it was like in the 2012~ era.

A Casio digital will be accurate to usually 1s a month, you can never expect that level of timekeeping from a mechanical movement just left in one position for a week for example as it will gain or lose consistently at a fixed level (assuming it is kept wound then put back). But if worn and stored with a routine and if the movement has a level of adjustment/regulation with multiple positions then there's no reason that after a month the movement isn't not far off similar accuracy. Like for example one day it will gain 3s, the next day it will lose 2s, the following day it gains 4s, the day after it loses a second and so on, so whilst the daily variations will be such depending on how you wear it, or how it's stored and level of power reserve, the overall accuracy over the course of a month will mean it is usually closer to 0 anyway.

The problem only arises on poor quality movements or magnetised movements that are in the +30s a day range which is pretty common especially with Seiko movements. Unless it's an Ali Express special etc, then I do not expect to see any mechanical watch bought today to have poor accuracy really from the majority of micro brands or bigger names that aren't the big Swiss/German names.

There are different qualities and grades that will dictate how accurate they are too. Generally, most brands whether first party of micro will to in-house adjustment and regulation anyway though and you can typically expect within +/- 10s a day. The vast majority will be within 0-4s a day, especially the higher grade movements.

Here are mine for example:

VnlxeiH.png

Last edited:
Soldato
People say that there bad at keeping time?
It's all relative though...
Unless you're needing to measure something with exact precision the variation on most mechanical watches is in worst cases around a minute, it's usually far less than this.

and how long do they last before need servicing?
Depends on the brands, some suggest 2 years, some suggest up to 10 years.... whether you follow that is entirely up to you. I'd say most of us on here follow the 'if it's still keeping good time and not having issues, it's not time for a service' type philosophy.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Bit of an update on the strap front, but just got the ZuluDiver FKM v2 tropic strap from Watchgecko today and am very pleased. It's soft almost like vulcanised rubber tropics from Joseph Bonnie, has a premium to the finish although doesn't have the waxy gleam that the Bonnie ones have. The length and hole spacing seems perfect too, a really nice fit on my wrist. I swapped over the Seiko springbars and also kept the metal keeper although having it at the bottom as a tail-stay only with the normal keeper up top to stop the tail sticking out.

For the price it's really excellent.

ZuluTropic_20221112_141400.jpg

ZuluTropic_20221112_135816.jpg

ZuluTropic_20221112_141257.jpg

ZuluTropic_20221112_135747.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The crown has broken off the stem of my Orient Kamasu. Finding replacement parts is proving to be a knightmare as there are no UK service centres for Orient watches. The USA service centre only to ship to the USA Which is a pain! Anyone know a place that might ship to the UK? I need an American friend who can send it over for me :D

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just came across this interview with Laco about the Flieger Pro. Some useful details in it, be sure to enable English subs though lol unless you speak German.

Interesting takeaways for me watching that is that if you opt for the white date window, then the date window is lumed! I've not seen that before on any other watch which is kinda cool.

Also the screws on the movement are thermally blued, I thought they were painted and only the hands were thermally blued :cool:

Soldato
Depends on the brands, some suggest 2 years, some suggest up to 10 years.... whether you follow that is entirely up to you. I'd say most of us on here follow the 'if it's still keeping good time and not having issues, it's not time for a service' type philosophy.

This is how I feel about it, I have a Panerai PAM320 which Ive had for over 12 years and it has never been serviced as it still keeps good time. I also still have my first mechanical watch which is an Omega Seamaster mid size and just sits in my watch winder, its running slow and needs a service as its never been serviced and Ive had it for about 14 years but Ive hesitated as the cost of the service is about as much as the watch is probably worth

Associate
Anything I should be wary of when importing a second hand 2014/15 Grand Seiko Spring Drive? Specifically looking at the titanium model.

Coming from a background exclusively of Casio G -Shocks / Edifices so its a little scary :D

Soldato
New Yema vintage coming out to kicktsarter soon, €1499 for backers, €3000 retail thereafter. Uses their new in-house 70 hour micro rotor movement rated to -3/+7s accuracy. Looks fantastic if you ask me.

Specs:
3 colours, green, blue, black
39mm case
9.2mm thick
43.5mm lug to lug
100m WR
Sapphire

ekbIFAb.jpg

CsfVdgx.jpg
I really like this. (In blue or black for me) huh. Never heard of the brand til now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom