What watch do you wear?

Associate
Afternoon all
I'm starting to look into purchasing myself a nice watch. I've never really ventured into the luxury brands, over the years I've had many sub £500 hugo boss and equivalents which now due to a smart watch I never wear and just sit in a watch case
My wife bought me a really nice Hammond and Co automatic for our wedding, which although not an expensive watch I don't like to wear. The sentimental value has me worrying about damaging it.

However I've always wanted to get myself something nice, that I can wear daily and ditch the smart watch if I don't need the features at that time.
I went into a Goldsmiths and really liked the Tudor Black Bay 58 in black. Loved the size and dark dial with the vintage look to it.
However they didn't have many other alternatives in that 3k price range.
I'm looking for some recommendations for 3k and under with a similar size to the BB58.
If anyone has any please let me know and I'll check them out

Soldato
@Mickcas 3k is a good price point for a nice watch. Plenty of choices. Are you after anything specific? Particularly a dive watch? The black bay is certainly a good choice.

In a similar price bracket, I'm currently eying up the longines Zulu time.

Last edited:
Associate
I like the look of dive watches but my smaller wrist has always put me off. The BB58 sits just nice though. So something in that 39mm range.
I'm not too clued up with watches in that price bracket so I'm open to looking any at suggestions

Soldato
I like the look of dive watches but my smaller wrist has always put me off. The BB58 sits just nice though. So something in that 39mm range.
I'm not too clued up with watches in that price bracket so I'm open to looking any at suggestions
Sounds like you are pretty keen on the bb58 :)

Can't go far wrong with that. Quality watch and will hold its value pretty well too.

Associate
Interesting stuff from Rolex starting 'certified' grey market watches.

Bark and Jack with his thoughts and a mention of @Rikki

Good takes from Adrian, I covered it on my show with Dave too.

sw-scottish-watches-podcast-419.jpg

TOW

TOW

Associate

Take a peek at IWC if you have a smaller wrist, their design may appear a little more simple to the eye - but they generally have a thinner profile.

I think 3k will get you into one... or near enough. My first IWC was under £3.5k, but I bought it in a tax-free zone - so maybe more pricey here with VAT.

I think the model is Portofino.

Associate
Love the look of IWC but unfortunately more than I'd like to spend. They seem to start above 4k.

Would it be worth waiting until after Xmas, are sales very common in watches of this price range

Associate
After much thought I decided to give the Black Bay 58 a pass for now, given how often I would wear it I was finding it hard to stomach the 3k bill.
I did however pick up a Longines Hydroconquest with a nice discount. Pretty happy with it given its price and certainly scratches that diver watch itch I've been having
xVgxYNf.jpeg
Also picked up something for the Wife
Group shot
qiQjsfc.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
I agree. I tried so many on, some I loved the look.. until I got it on my wrist, this one just sat perfect for me, I had been avoiding 41mm but for some reason this just works.
It helps I got it for under 1k too, it was hard to say no

Soldato
I agree. I tried so many on, some I loved the look.. until I got it on my wrist, this one just sat perfect for me, I had been avoiding 41mm but for some reason this just works.
It helps I got it for under 1k too, it was hard to say no
Nice choice :) Longines is a lot of watch for the money.

I have the ceramic bezel model which I like a lot:

Soldato
went into the Bremont shop in Bluewater today and found myself looking at a very legible white faced chrono. The salesman then explained it is made with cooperation from Jaguar inspired by the e-type with an automatic winder weight shaped like a e-type steering wheel and the winder inspired by the original Dunlop tyres. I laughed as he did this and showed him my car fob which is from an f-type. Sadly even with a hefty discount the watch was too pricey and I passed on it but it was very pretty. There's even an 60th anniversary e-type version which is £13K! :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
My dad gave me an expensive Longines watch when I was 18 and I lost it on the bus. Strap must have broke ! I'm still gutted about it to this day.

My favourite was a Tag which my ex bought me for my 30th but it was constantly in the repair shop and I think I probably spent more on repairs than the watch was worth.

Last watch I had was an Armani which I bought for £800. Strap broke on that too after a year but I never bothered to get it replaced (7 years ago) and I haven't worn a watch since - just look at my phone now

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
£800 for an Armani watch? You got royally bent over the table!

The only fashion brand watch I have seen to date that is actually really good is by Ralph Lauren which came out this year. Vintage styled and looks the part, but at over £2000 it is still way too expensive vs hundreds of other options out there:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom