What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Just come across this absolutely stunning watch! £1100 mind and no date display. Very tempting. Not sure I could justify the cost :D

Honestly it seems a bit overpriced if I'm being honest..
£1100 (maybe +VAT, info seems to contradict itself) puts it in the range of longines, oris and several other brands with a history and (guaranteed) warranty.... I'm not sure I'd be prepared to spend that much on a microbrand.

The sw200-1 is found in 'microbrands' like christopher ward at nearly half the price,oris has a similar sort of price to this aera.... CW c63 sealander s200-1 with a metal bracelet is £770 without the usual £100 discount...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A chunk of that price is going on the 904L being used since it's 1.4x more expensive than 316L, It's also a big watch, so that's a lot of 904L going round. I bet they also add a bit of a markup for that luxury too. But yes the movement isn't the Top grade variant, at £700+ I would be expecting the Top grade version and nothing less. They don't even mention if the movement is further adjusted and regulated so I would take that as they don't and as such you get the base accuracy that Sellita state from factory. Other brands note how many positions they adjust to so you know you're going to get an accurate movement.

Last edited:
Soldato
A chunk of that price is going on the 904L being used since it's 1.4x more expensive than 316L, It's also a big watch, so that's a lot of 904L going round.
The thing is while it might be 1.4x more expensive using 904l, it's such a small amount of metal that it likely wouldn't add more than about £100-150 to the overall cost including harder tooling.... they're just using it as a reason to justify £500+ extra on the cost front.

The odds are the extra cost is likely even less because it's pretty obvious that the casing is made in Asia due to 'They are assembled, tested and finished in Switzerland.' bit in the blurb (not saying it's a bad thing, but it will affect cost).

And yeah there is nothing mentioned about accuracy, actual finish or anything... like you I suspect they won't be anything special because if it was they'd have an exhibition case back.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
New Yema vintage coming out to kicktsarter soon, €1499 for backers, €3000 retail thereafter. Uses their new in-house 70 hour micro rotor movement rated to -3/+7s accuracy. Looks fantastic if you ask me.

Specs:
3 colours, green, blue, black
39mm case
9.2mm thick
43.5mm lug to lug
100m WR
Sapphire

ekbIFAb.jpg

CsfVdgx.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I totally forgot about that one, but yes the vintage old radium colouring and aesthetic suits the case shape better - It's that new movement that is the feature piece of this new one.

I suspect we will see it in many models going forwards so look forward to seeing some neat colourways to follow I guess.

Edit*

This accuracy of the Seiko 4R35 after demagnetising is absolutely nuts.

accuracy_SoTC.png

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just seen on WUS that Delugs do a custom strap for the Tissot PRX and man it looks really good. One of the reasons I never looked back at a PRX is because I don't like bracelets, especially tailored lug ones like this had, but this strap solves that problem perfectly. Sadly it is turbo-expensive lol but that's what you pay for bespoke products...

Soldato
The top watch is my watch I wear 24/7 and the bottom is my sisters ex husbands and she give it me, but its too ordinary looking and it dosent say £500 to a non watch person. And haven't ever worn it, so I may get rid.
ZKPMe97.jpg

FeE7vzT.jpg

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No offence but the top watch is a cheap Lorus, it does the job for sure but is nothing special. The bottom one is a Bulova, a well regarded and recognised brand/watch. The movement in it is excellent too and the smooth sweeping seconds hand is really cool.

Why does it need to say "£500" to anyone at all? Either way, the Bulova looks like the far more expensive watch out of those two every day of the week.

Think I'd rather buy one from the strap tailor for that sort of money.

I've been considering a suede strap for my Speedmaster, I think they look superb
Problem is strap tailor only has a limited range of straps, none of their rubber straps for example are offering a range of colours. The Tropic straps are FKM which is nice but they are not gen 2 FKM like the ZuluDiver ones are which are more pliable. The hybrid rubber straps also only come in two variations - so matching to a specific watch is difficult. A Much better otpions for tropic is Joseph Bonnie at the same price but you get proper vulcanised rubber with a premium quality finishing on the top face.

Leather straps are their forte for sure and they have lots of choice, but leather alone isn't waterproof so will get manky over time, smell and need to be replaced if worn regularly. especially in the summer. Leather also stretches as it ages. I like what Hirsch do however, I have the Arne which is natural rubber on bottom and calfskin on top with a sailcloth style pattern. It's rated to 300m and as such is waterproof. It comes at a price, but it looks and feels what it costs:

hirsch_arne_2.jpg

Soldato
No offence but the top watch is a cheap Lorus, it does the job for sure but is nothing special. The bottom one is a Bulova, a well regarded and recognised brand/watch. The movement in it is excellent too and the smooth sweeping seconds hand is really cool.

Why does it need to say "£500" to anyone at all? Either way, the Bulova looks like the far more expensive watch out of those two every day of the week.
I bought the Lorus for £80 I think, and brand names are not really important as Im not watch person. Its the looks of a watch that catches my eye and for lookwise the Lorus wins hands down. I would give the Bulova a go for a few weeks, but the strap needs altering, and Im not going to spend £10-20 on a watch that Im not sure about.

Ah yeah I think the second hand only moves with the stopwatch on the Bulova, so the second hand is a tad pointless... The second hand on the Lorus acts as a proper 2nd hand which I like.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought the Lorus for £80 I think, and brand names are not really important as Im not watch person. Its the looks of a watch that catches my eye and for lookwise the Lorus wins hands down. I would give the Bulova a go for a few weeks, but the strap needs altering, and Im not going to spend £10-20 on a watch that Im not sure about.

Ah yeah I think the second hand only moves with the stopwatch on the Bulova, so the second hand is a tad pointless... The second hand on the Lorus acts as a proper 2nd hand which I like.
To me, that bulover is a really nice watch. I'd happily wear that. Not so keen on the other one. Definitely keep the bulover.

Associate

The standard seconds hand for time should be the small sub dial at the 9 o'clock position, the larger seconds hand should be for the stopwatch.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
According to people who have handled the watch and movement inside, apparently it's rough around the edges, so the Yema QC does not seem to have improved :/

Back
Top Bottom