What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Probably wait for reviews as seems Yema's QC has not really improved over the years.

Anything I should be wary of when importing a second hand 2014/15 Grand Seiko Spring Drive? Specifically looking at the titanium model.

Coming from a background exclusively of Casio G -Shocks / Edifices so its a little scary :D
Link it here before you do so folks can check it over. You'll have to pay import duty and VAT if the seller removes VAT at checkout etc.

Associate
Probably wait for reviews as seems Yema's QC has not really improved over the years.

Link it here before you do so folks can check it over. You'll have to pay import duty and VAT if the seller removes VAT at checkout etc.

Thats a really good point about tax, will definitely get hit for it in Spain, everything gets taxed to hell here.

This is the kind of thing I am considering:

Reactions: mrk
Soldato
Thats a really good point about tax, will definitely get hit for it in Spain, everything gets taxed to hell here.

This is the kind of thing I am considering:

If I was going for a white dialled SD GS in Titanium then it would be pretty hard to not punt for one of the Snow flake (either old or new branding, just different model numbers). Or a Blizzard. Or a Tatami.

Last edited:
Associate
If I was going for a white dialled SD GS in Titanium then it would be pretty hard to not punt for one of the Snow flake (either old or new branding, just different model numbers). Or a Blizzard. Or a Tatami.

Yeah that would be the dream, but they are double the price and I still need to see if I even get on with automatic watches before throwing a lot of money at one!

Soldato
Yeah that would be the dream, but they are double the price and I still need to see if I even get on with automatic watches before throwing a lot of money at one!
I very much understand, though if you just want to try an auto to see if you get on with it, starting with a Spring Drive at 3k+ is an interesting approach! They really aren't like most autos in terms of accuracy (generally far more accurate), but I suppose it will let you know if you mind the manual setting if you've not worn them for a few days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Define bad though? Movement regulation and adjustment tolerance has moved on massively over the years. i remember when micro brand watches with Miyota movements or Seiko NH35s were running either side of 30-45s a day. That was pretty poor but that was what it was like in the 2012~ era.

A Casio digital will be accurate to usually 1s a month, you can never expect that level of timekeeping from a mechanical movement just left in one position for a week for example as it will gain or lose consistently at a fixed level (assuming it is kept wound then put back). But if worn and stored with a routine and if the movement has a level of adjustment/regulation with multiple positions then there's no reason that after a month the movement isn't not far off similar accuracy. Like for example one day it will gain 3s, the next day it will lose 2s, the following day it gains 4s, the day after it loses a second and so on, so whilst the daily variations will be such depending on how you wear it, or how it's stored and level of power reserve, the overall accuracy over the course of a month will mean it is usually closer to 0 anyway.

The problem only arises on poor quality movements or magnetised movements that are in the +30s a day range which is pretty common especially with Seiko movements. Unless it's an Ali Express special etc, then I do not expect to see any mechanical watch bought today to have poor accuracy really from the majority of micro brands or bigger names that aren't the big Swiss/German names.

There are different qualities and grades that will dictate how accurate they are too. Generally, most brands whether first party of micro will to in-house adjustment and regulation anyway though and you can typically expect within +/- 10s a day. The vast majority will be within 0-4s a day, especially the higher grade movements.

I recently bought a Seiko turtle. It’s a 4r36 movement with a spec of +/- 45 seconds per day. It ran 20 seconds slow out of the box.

I bought a timegrapher and have successfully regulated it to about 2 seconds slow per day. I check it about 5 times a day and it doesn’t speed up or slow down. Proper steady on my wrist. I'm happy with -2 seconds. I’ll probably give it another go to see if I can get it a little better in the spring.

edit - posting in this thread made me remember to experiment with hand-winding it. I did and it's not lost any seconds since :)

I'll probably have to re-regulate it sooner rather than later as it's a relatively new watch and tbh, I'd prefer that I didn't have to think about hand-winding it (I did and have every time before I regulated, I'm not sure this this ideal) and I'd prefer if it wasn't really accurate to run slightly fast so hacking it is a good option.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk
Soldato
No, expensive ones aren't any good either, unless you're happy to create needless mechanical wear on your autos
I'm in your camp. Some of the more expensive ones do change direction and pause etc. but then they're just the better of a useless choice.
The only exception may be for perpetual calendars, and those auto watches without a quick set date that you wear relatively regularly (but clearly not regularly enough to keep them wound). For everything else, I just don't get the need.

Most autos can be hand wound, perfect for if you know you're not going to wear them for the next few days. And then if you don't wear them, you can just wind again if you think you'll wear them soon and really can't be bothered to set the time and date again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello everyone.

Are cheap watch winders any good? Something like this. Are they the type of thing that breaks after warranty?
I had a very similar one to that except had a couple of small knobs inside to change the direction and the movement programme. Pretty much just used it for display and storage purposes. I have a walk in wardrobe but it has no power in there so bought (a lot of) batteries for it. They barely lasted an hour, total waste of money. I think the thing would draw a lot of power if kept on over a year.
I sold it recently and tested it with new batteries before listing it, only one of the winders worked. Sold it as is. Bought a proper display case and a single winder instead. Much better. Some of my autos tick as soon as you pick them up, some need quite a bit of movement (looking at you, Tags). I stick one in the winder while I'm getting dressed then set the time in the car on the way to work. Suits me well.

Soldato
Added the Casio-oak to the collection.
I rather like it a lot. Fun and functional watch i must say.

PXL-20221129-125346768.jpg

PXL-20221129-125614281.jpg

PXL-20221129-125519505.jpg

Back
Top Bottom