What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Haha, great timing - as I sit here contemplating flogging the Speedy to pay for a kitchen :(.
Don't flog the watch for a kitchen.... all you need is some planks of wood for shelves/top and some legs, if you really want to push the boat out a fridge and cooker :p

It is funny because I am "the watch guy" in my in-laws eyes, and at a family dinner I noticed the "runt" boyfriend of one of the girls was wearing an £18k Rolex Pepsi, lol.
Are you sure it was real and/or not pinched.... in this day and age with the 'restrictions' by Rolex it's probably more likely lol

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Edit*@lsg1r got it :p - Although the DOF on the phone one is not artificial, that is optical. The way it works is any sensor smaller than full frame and DOF ends up looking less "natural" the smaller the sensor, even though the DOF is completely natural lol. Same applies to full frame cameras vs crop sensor cameras :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
But which is which!

Edit*@lsg1r got it :p - Although the DOF on the phone one is not artificial, that is optical.
All those years doing photography as a hobby (me) haven't gone to waste then :p

As to optical... hmm, seems a little fake if I'm being honest, you sure it wasn't some 'AI' software involved, it's got that 'radial defocus' you get in photoshop.

Edit: So it is a a bit AI involved then due to the different lens/sensors....

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
All those years doing photography as a hobby (me) haven't gone to waste then :p

As to optical... hmm, seems a little fake if I'm being honest, you sure it wasn't some 'AI' software involved, it's got that 'radial defocus' you get in photoshop.

Edit: So it is a a bit AI involved then due to the different lens/sensors....

100%: it's an f1.8 lens on the phone and the close focus distance between both 1x and 2x lenses allow for shallow dof:

hNF1cjY.gif

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No, the only time AI dof is applied is when in portrait mode, what's shown above is optical dof, not artifical. You also get the same results when shooting in RAW (dng format). As I say, the lens is fully capable of optical dof and has done for years on Samsung phones when using the primary camera.

Soldato
No, the only time AI dof is applied is when in portrait mode, what's shown above is optical dof, not artifical. You also get the same results when shooting in RAW (dng format). As I say, the lens is fully capable of optical dof and has done for years on Samsung phones when using the primary camera.
We'll just agree to disagree on this one....

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's also why there are no dof flaws like you get when using the modes that do use AI (portrait modes), no area is missed, dof fall-off etc is all as should be for lens based blur. If AI was involved you would see some flaws where it misses dof around complex subjects, there are no flaws in any image and no phone on the market can get perfect dof when AI is used, simply because it's impossible to get it perfect around complex details. It's just small enough to not be an issue for phone use really.

Unless you have a source showing that AI is used, then I'm sorry but I can't accept it based on what I am actually using and observing in practice, you can even hear the lens focusing.

Edit* A reference point which highlights what I've said: https://www.provideocoalition.com/samsung-s22-ultra-depth-of-field-and-computational-photography/

In short, AI blur = Only in Portrait modes. I rarely use these modes and they do not work for close-up subjects anyway for macro.

And it is worth pointing out that if you install a third party camera app, or use the camera app in any other app that has a camera on your phone, whatsapp, Instagram etc, then you also get the exact same dof when focusing on close up items, because it is optical dof and you would expect exactly that.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
And the second photo is a clearly taken with a phone as it has oversharpening.
Unavoidable really! The shot was taken before Samsung released the Camera Companion app that allowed you to disable the default sharpening in the camera app!

What strap is on that cocktail btw, looks rubber?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom