What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Yeah the new OEM one with the nano adjust, should be about £700 but wasnt lol.
Really? Id heard it was really good :S
Haha, funny timing - I was just on a flight back from Milan with my boss showing him your Snoopy and explaining my Forstner strap. He has a Speedy Reduced and a big enough collection he had forgotten what the strap looked like.

How much did you pay?

Forstner is OK but it feels hollow, light weight, a bit cheap. It fits well and I am sure it is very secure --- but it is lightyears from an Omega bracelet feeling.

Associate
Haha, funny timing - I was just on a flight back from Milan with my boss showing him your Snoopy and explaining my Forstner strap. He has a Speedy Reduced and a big enough collection he had forgotten what the strap looked like.

How much did you pay?

Forstner is OK but it feels hollow, light weight, a bit cheap. It fits well and I am sure it is very secure --- but it is lightyears from an Omega bracelet feeling.
It was £324 inc VAT from a "friend" but that was a once off deal unfortunately :(

Associate
sw-scottish-watches-podcast-453x.jpg

Just back from this year's W & W show and saw some amazing pieces! If anyone cares to listen the latest edition of my podcast covers everything we saw - https://open.spotify.com/episode/1XktxHAIpHHQrlSFMOMkhJ?si=3NOEioZ4Q6yJ0shLYNQPwQ

Associate
Where does everyone buy new watch straps from? Any recommendations? Not looking to spend big money, found an old watch in the back of a drawer, has an ETA 2842, white face blued hands. Looking to freshen it up with either a navy or black leather strap and add it into my rotation.

Soldato
Only 4 months ago for the Grand Seiko I was pre approved a further 12k finance, they said in the shop you can get the reverso you want as well if you like? I said no that’s daft. I’ll come back.

Soo, I went back and got rejected lol. My credit score is not good tbh (I only have a small amount of debt).

Never missed a payment in my life and earn a hair under £100k. Rejected?!

Banks and finance providers are battening down the hatches, interest rates are rising etc. It’s risk off time for them it seems. Going back again this Tuesday with a bit of a better deposit but I think it’ll be rejected again if I’m honest.

Soldato
Only 4 months ago for the Grand Seiko I was pre approved a further 12k finance, they said in the shop you can get the reverso you want as well if you like? I said no that’s daft. I’ll come back.

Soo, I went back and got rejected lol. My credit score is not good tbh (I only have a small amount of debt).

Banks and finance providers are battening down the hatches, interest rates are rising etc. It’s risk off time for them it seems. Going back again this Tuesday with a bit of a better deposit but I think it’ll be rejected again if I’m honest.
What a pain. Doesn’t leave you knowing your own position which must be frustrating.

Fingers crossed for Tuesday!

Soldato

Are you sure the retailer didn't mess up with application and put in some incorrect details? That definitely doesn't sound right.

As for battening down the hatches, I'm feeling it at the moment. Currently going through a breakup with the Mrs and am struggling to mortgage £110k on 35k p/a, even with over £1600 of disposable income each month at the moment. Scary times.

Last edited:
Associate
sw-scottish-watches-podcast-453x.jpg

Just back from this year's W & W show and saw some amazing pieces! If anyone cares to listen the latest edition of my podcast covers everything we saw - https://open.spotify.com/episode/1XktxHAIpHHQrlSFMOMkhJ?si=3NOEioZ4Q6yJ0shLYNQPwQ

Awesome that you post here! I got into your podcast a few months ago when I was wanting to learn a bit more about Irish watch brands and listened #434, been listening fairly religiously since then. I found myself loving the episodes where I go in knowing absolutely nothing about a brand and you have on somebody with a close connection to it e.g. the Sartory Billard and the Erik from Hairspring epsiodes were very fun.

Keep up the awesome work!

Soldato
Are you sure the retailer didn't mess up with application and put in some incorrect details? That definitely doesn't sound right.

As for battening down the hatches, I'm feeling it at the moment. Currently going through a breakup with the Mrs and am struggling to mortgage £110k on 35k p/a, even with over £1600 of disposable income each month at the moment. Scary times.

No they didn’t, good rapport with the guy there and pop in often. They said all applications are being referred / rejected recently with the economy, banking and interest situation at the moment.

Was just in today to try again and stuff like £2,000 tissots are going to referrals with a 30% deposit. Bit daft overall really. Will hear back tomorrow about it I hope and will post up if I get it.

Soldato
Will have to wave goodbye to one of my longines on Monday. The conquest classic has an issue with it and the local jeweller can't fix it cos longines restrict parts so it has to be sent back. Hopefully won't be away for too long though.

On a different note I'll be in Edinburgh shortly so I'll be trying on a few watches when I'm down there :cry:

Associate
Awesome that you post here! I got into your podcast a few months ago when I was wanting to learn a bit more about Irish watch brands and listened #434, been listening fairly religiously since then. I found myself loving the episodes where I go in knowing absolutely nothing about a brand and you have on somebody with a close connection to it e.g. the Sartory Billard and the Erik from Hairspring epsiodes were very fun.

Keep up the awesome work!
Hey fella, thanks for the great feedback - thats exactly what we try to do, bring folks on who are passionate and can inform, educate but also tell engaging stories. Armand from SB was a classic example and the stories at the end about the UFO dial and the guy who beat cancer were captivating! :)

Caporegime
So an update on my 1915 - 1920~ ish watch (Rolex Prima movement and Rolex dial, in Gallet & Co Lady Racine case, as assembled new by Gallet & Co)

I didn't service it because it had a really good plot on the timegrapher and I'm not confident enough to work on something like this at the moment.

I replaced the cracked crystal, cleaned the case, found a vintage ring lizard leather strap for it, and my Mum wore it for a little while.

dcIYhhy.jpg

1PnVzox.png

qrUP7Oh.jpg

I have moved it on now, but it was a beautiful little item.

I also got a new strap for my late 30s H Samuel Climax cushion case.

woBJnKi.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Where does everyone buy new watch straps from? Any recommendations? Not looking to spend big money, found an old watch in the back of a drawer, has an ETA 2842, white face blued hands. Looking to freshen it up with either a navy or black leather strap and add it into my rotation.
Depends on what you looking for quality or quantity.

I have a lot of success buying from aliexpress because I like to change the look often.

Back
Top Bottom