What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I hate the word "Grail", however I will say I've lusted after a (flake of snow*) for a long time. I find Spring Drive mesmerising, and I think it's a really unique and innovative approach to mechanical watches. Problem is they usually seem to have an "icon" tax applied to them secondhand. Anyway I finally found one that seemed decent and negotiated a very reasonable price, including authentication and free returns. It turned up today and I'm stunned, it's really "Like new"- only the usual scuff marks on the clasp scissor betray any signs of use. It even came sized perfectly for me out of the box.

Given GS bracelets seem to attract a lot of hate, I was prepared to swap it out for a strap- I know Titanium feels too lightweight to some, but honestly the bracelet feels fantastic to me, so it'll be staying on.

I'm super happy, and I can't think of any other watches I really desire, at least for the moment.

gs1.jpeg

* It seems like the full word is somehow taboo here. We must have a lot of them!
Nice, was checking these out yesterday. The dial is just a bit too busy for me.

Associate
Nice, was checking these out yesterday. The dial is just a bit too busy for me.
I quite like the power indicator on the front but then I do like a tasteful complication, and can see why some don't.

The newer SD movements - 9RA1 and 9RA2- have the indicator on the back, and they're thinner and more accurate. Not many options for my budget though!

Man of Honour
Had to return my Rolex Submariner as it, well, it just stopped working. It was an early 2024 watch. I was going to take it to an AD but the grey seller said to return it to them and they'd see if they could get it repaired at Rolex HQ in London quicker. They said give them a few days and if they didn't have any news, they'd source me another unworn replacement.

Just got a message that they're sending me out a June 2024 watch for delivery on Saturday (when I'm back home, away at the moment). Bit of a result but I do wonder what on earth happened to the first one.

They've been excellent about it all if I'm honest.

Soldato
I quite like the power indicator on the front but then I do like a tasteful complication, and can see why some don't.

The newer SD movements - 9RA1 and 9RA2- have the indicator on the back, and they're thinner and more accurate. Not many options for my budget though!
Are those the ones with "spring drive, 5 days" written on them? :(

Soldato
Had to return my Rolex Submariner as it, well, it just stopped working. It was an early 2024 watch. I was going to take it to an AD but the grey seller said to return it to them and they'd see if they could get it repaired at Rolex HQ in London quicker. They said give them a few days and if they didn't have any news, they'd source me another unworn replacement.

Just got a message that they're sending me out a June 2024 watch for delivery on Saturday (when I'm back home, away at the moment). Bit of a result but I do wonder what on earth happened to the first one.

That's nuts! Sounds suss but only in a conspiracy theory way lol. Maybe worth taking the new one into Rolex to get verified?

Man of Honour
Hah yeah exactly. Definitely a CT suss. Are you posting it back or meeting up with them?
It was sent back last week. Went into Rolex last Thursday I think. It was already agreed with the dealer that they'd send me a new one if it wasn't a quick fix providing they could source one. All done via Chrono24, so I had protection, and paid for it on my credit card etc.

Associate

Rolex's with the 3235 movement have amplitude issues. Could be the reason it stopped.

Man of Honour
Not sure, it wasn’t a time keeping issue, the second hand just stopped. Winding did nothing, it was weird. They are suspecting a loose pin but no news from Rolex yet.

Back
Top Bottom