What watch do you wear?

The metal strap on my orient mako is pretty scratched up just two weeks in normal use. Appears to be where I rest my wrist to type. Is it normal for watches to get scuffed up so easily? I had an accurist for years which seemed to survive better?

The metal strap on my orient mako is pretty scratched up just two weeks in normal use. Appears to be where I rest my wrist to type. Is it normal for watches to get scuffed up so easily? I had an accurist for years which seemed to survive better?

Don't know what type of stainless steel the bracelet uses on Orient but my Tissot one feels heavier and of a higher grade finish even down to the clasp latch bit. It's still heavy though but I get the impression it will show scratches whereas the Tissot one will not. Given the price of the Orient (cheaper than just the Tissot bracelet on its own!) I guess it's to be expected.

The watch itself though is another matter :-D

A Sekonda of some sort which I was given by my parents for my 18th birthday. Despite wearing it each and every day since then (I'm 42 this year) and it having been in worn in some conditions that were truly atrocious it's never missed a beat only requiring the odd battery change now and again.

Last edited:
Cousins is probably your best bet once you know what the movement is

It is trade only but don't seem to vet. If you struggle email me and I will place an order for you.

Seems it's an L962.2 5 jewel quartz. Looking around, it looks like an ETA.001 & 280.002...

I can't seem to get this bloody crown/stem off though. Looking at it, and what I could see online there is a very small screw to the right of the stem, which it said do a 1 and a half turn and it should pull out. Well, that just doesn't work!

Watches can be frigging small! :p

So I also decided that with the pocket watch I picked up (the one that has actually arrived already, damn you Frenchies!) which is an Omega 1900 Grand Prix Paris jobbie, needed some love. This is what I intend to try and do with it.

It's currently missing the stem and crown, which I have been spending most of today trying to track down, which is a mission, it seems. One place said they would do the refurb for me, for 320quid Ex VAT. No thank you!

I've so far while at work, taken apart the movement from the case, which has left me with a dirty old case to clean up. Tonight I'll get some polish and a cheap toothbrush and set myself to work.

IMG_4386_zps117682d4.jpg

So this is it, with the case open at the front. This is where I need the new crystal as you can see.

IMG_4387_zps1117a07a.jpg

Movement came out with a few tiny screws and the front bezel coming off too. Especially easy without the stem and crown.

IMG_4388_zps56340d02.jpg

IMG_4390_zps1cc65125.jpg

And this is the missing stem and crown. Now I just need to find those parts...
IMG_4391_zpsf8d31f98.jpg

As the case and movement are now apart, I'm going to clean up the case tonight by soaking it and then using a toothbrush on it at first to remove all the grease built up through the years. Next a bit of Brasso (or whatever the french have) and try and get it shining a bit more.

Just thought I'd share a bit.

Since I thought I'd keep this economy going myself...

I work in Basel, and someone showed me a Zeno watch, which is from Basel and it's a style I really like. There was me after that, looking through the bay of e's for bits and pieces and I found a couple of Zeno watches in need of a bit of TLC.

As of this lunchtime, I'm now the owner of 2 Zeno autos.

Zeno_zpsbb5c6d8d.png

Can't wait to get these done. They should look fantastic. The Zeno Chrono is a 1k plus watch!

I've had my blue mako about a year now and the strap is pretty scratched up. I've also managed to chip the edge of the glass :( Also the lugs come loose over time and need tweaking with a pair of pliers occasionally and I've had both push pins replaced.

I still think it's a lot of watch for the money, but as you use it you realise where they've saved money in the construction. I still like the watch and wear it every day, but I'd like to save for something a little more durable. Not sure what though as I can't justify spending a large amount of cash on a watch.

guys my little brothers b-day is coming up(hes turning 19) and i want to get him a watch nothing expensive and something modern-ish yet simple.. i have a budget of 50-60 quid.

something seiko maybe? with strap similar to what mrk has been showing?

guys my little brothers b-day is coming up(hes turning 19) and i want to get him a watch nothing expensive and something modern-ish yet simple.. i have a budget of 50-60 quid.

something seiko maybe? with strap similar to what mrk has been showing?
With that budget my money would be going on something from the Seiko 5 range.

EDIT: Military style with a NATO strap can be had for less that £60, plenty on Amazon. Well build, auto winding, day/date, and display back.

Last edited:
With that budget my money would be going on something from the Seiko 5 range.

EDIT: Military style with a NATO strap can be had for less that £60, plenty on Amazon. Well build, auto winding, day/date, and display back.

ill take a look! :) thanks

Thought about second hand? You might be able to pick something up a little better

its a present so i would prefer a new one

Hi Gents

My Dad passed sometime ago and I've had £300 sitting in an account, I've decided to get a nice watch with the money, are there any big no no's with regards to the watch world and spending? I've only every spent £30 - £50 on a time piece ...

I was thinking Accurist perhaps? Or is the better in that price bracket?

Thanks

I've been meaning to post to this thread for a while, but haven't found time. This is the little beauty I wear everyday, its the nicest watch I own, although it does seem to lose time quite often - I don't know if anyone has any ideas how to stop that?

tU7bmRk.jpg g0KOOZ6.jpg

The Orient Mako champions at spending all day out in temperatures of up to -27 degrees and bruised around in snow :-D

As for above, Seiko 5 with a few Nato strap styles off eBay, cheap yet professional looking and tough as well :-)

Back
Top Bottom