What watch do you wear?

Well guys, today I bought my first "serious" watch. :D

I live in the land of cuckoo clocks and watchmakers, so finding a nice range is always easy. I chose a big jewelers in a large department store I know (I decided no Ebay/online shopping), and went to try some on.

-------------------------------

First, I tried on the Longines Hydroquest 300m. I liked it a lot. Back to that in a bit.

Secondly I tried on a Tag Aquaracer 300m. It looked great in photos online, but there was just something about it on the wrist that didn't excite me, it just felt a bit "meh". It is perfectly sized at 39mm and classically (minimilistically) styled, but there is just a certain amount of detail lacking on the face. The strap is also very thin and feels more womanly than the other watches.

Thirdly, I tried on the Rado D-Star 200. As nice as it looks in photos, in the flesh it's a bit of an ugly duckling. It is weirdly thick and bulbous, and the aesthetics as a result are all off. It is also a little larger at 41mm. It was on my wrist for all of 10 seconds before I asked her to get it off of me... I didn't even pay attention to the strap.

So, back to the Longines with its' ETA 2824-2 movement. When I put it on again after trying on the other competitors, I immediately knew, as I had when I tried it the first time, that I had found my timepiece. When I first saw the photos I thought it looked nice... if maybe a little "old skool" in it's classical styling. However, photos do not do it justice, and on the wrist it looks simply fantastic. The styling is elegant and detailed with the larger numbers, yet not overbearing as a result; it doesn't feel crowded. The seconds ticker has a red dot on the end that not only provides a very nice subtle little detail, but also allows you to instantly pick it out on its way around the face. It is a watch that just has a distinct and imo distinguished look and feel about it.

Next, the strap. The strap is simply fantastic. it is wide and chunky so has the masculinity, while still managing to look elegant and dressy, and importantly the clasp seems solid and easy to use.

And the best thing? At £790 it was about 40% cheaper than the average looking and feeling Tag Aquaracer, and the bulbulous and toad-like Rado Dstar 200 which were both around £1250.

Some obligatory money shots:

644282_10151501845131330_1287168448_n.jpg
944790_10151501845081330_232599052_n.jpg

1095118_10151501845101330_1505301601_n.jpg
522418_10151501845711330_273575683_n.jpg

In short: I am one happy horological camper. :D

Last edited:
I'm happy to see another Hydro here and your thoughts mirror mine on the watch regarding unique styling which is elegant and the substantial feeling the hand compared to much more expensive watches :)

I'm happy to see another Hydro here and your thoughts mirror mine on the watch regarding unique styling which is elegant and the substantial feeling the hand compared to much more expensive watches :)

Ahh I didn't see that you had one too mrk, good man... how long ago did you buy it? Has it run sweet as a nut so far, and how many seconds does it lose per day? :)

How do you guys store your watches? Looking for some reccomendations on some nice watch boxes if possible. With the Tissot coming and my Christopher Ward watch I will need a small container with the size of their storage boxes!

Thinking a 6 watch box should be ok for my needs. Will have 3 already and can't see me splashing out on too many more, especially as I fancy an Omega next :)

I am building (when I get around to finishing) a little unit for mine, as they're currently laid out:
1c5dab36be7511e2b22122000a1fc95b_7.jpg

And I have 3 more since that pic :/

When it is released I think I will treat myself to the Casio G-Shock MTGS1000D-1A

http://luxuryes.com/2013/08/casio-g-shock-unveils-new-twisted-metal-collection/

CasioG-ShockMTGS1000D-1ANovemberRelease.jpg

Casio prepares to release the Metal Twisted G-Shock, the brand’s first ever premium timepiece. This perhaps marks Casio’s biggest attempt to grab some of the luxury watch market while remaining true to the durability that made it famous. The first model in the collection, the MTGS1000D-1A, features layers of resin, alpha Gel dampeners, a LED-infused Tough Movement, MT-G TOUGH SOLAR power charging, and Multi-Band 6 atomic timekeeping. All designed to keep the watch in good working order after everything the user puts it through, these are all contained inside a classy exterior, making it suitable for business or formal events.

Last edited:
Ahh I didn't see that you had one too mrk, good man... how long ago did you buy it? Has it run sweet as a nut so far, and how many seconds does it lose per day? :)

I've had mine a good few months :) It's on a leather waterproof strap though:

84uUwzK.jpg

First couple of months it was gaining 4 seconds a day which is within COSC but now it's settled down to 2-3 seconds I'd say, I really stopped bothering to check after that point and now just re-sync it with Atomic time once a month out of habit anyway. 2824-2 is very robust and reliable even if it's not certified COSC :)

I figured this is a good thread to post this question in :)

Basically I am quite interested in watches with large dials but I'm unsure of the brand/s. One of the brands might be Russian but I just can't find out.

Is anyone aware any brands that are well known for large dial watches?

Thankls :)

Guys, I bought the Tissot PRC200 - Leather from Amazon EU this week, it's arrived but i'm a bit unsure if it's real?!

Surely a watch of this price is real leather and would say "Genuine Leather" on it for starters?!

Guys, I bought the Tissot PRC200 - Leather from Amazon EU this week, it's arrived but i'm a bit unsure if it's real?!

Surely a watch of this price is real leather and would say "Genuine Leather" on it for starters?!

I can't remember if mine said it or not but the official branding was this:
tissot_2.jpg

I quite like that metal G shock lol I don't think I'd wear it, but something about it.

Just ordered a 22mm oyster bracelet, for the Zeno. Only 22, rather than 24 I thought it was, so see what it looks like on a bracelet. Can't imagine it at the moment, but...

Post up some pictures. Is it just the strap that you think might be counterfeit or the whole watch?

Will post some when i'm home.

I'm just a bit skeptical really, should the garauntee card be blank or filled in?

The box came damaged which I wasn't happy about from Amazon also.

Back
Top Bottom