What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
Very nice Gurdas, as i said a few pages back my uncle has one and he let me wear it the other week when he was around showing me his new merc sl63 amg:p. I was more interested in the watch than the car but the car is lovely too.

My uncle has quite a few watches himself, got a few Rolexes, a hublot and a few other expensive watches. But i did like the Jaeger on my wrist though, shame he wouldnt let me keep it. Maybe he will give it to me when he kicks the bucket:p

Mrk no worries, i resisted in the end but its futile as i know come end of this mth with my nice bonus...ill end up getting the lum tec.

Soldato
Very nice Gurdas, as i said a few pages back my uncle has one and he let me wear it the other week when he was around showing me his new merc sl63 amg:p. I was more interested in the watch than the car but the car is lovely too.

My uncle has quite a few watches himself, got a few Rolexes, a hublot and a few other expensive watches. But i did like the Jaeger on my wrist though, shame he wouldnt let me keep it. Maybe he will give it to me when he kicks the bucket:p

Mrk no worries, i resisted in the end but its futile as i know come end of this mth with my nice bonus...ill end up getting the lum tec.

They are such nice watches, makes my Tag look like a kids boys watch! Trying to set myself a goal what to get next, it's only going to get very expensive from now on!

Associate
Yup, he told me one left.

Well if you happen to find two PVDs... ;)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in our timepieces.

We are currently adapting a new mechanism to the SparrowHawk II. It will come with the same quality, but will allow us to slightly reduce the price of the watch.

If you use one of the icons below to register to our news, you will be notified as soon as this collection is available again.

Yours Sincerely,
Franck J.

Hopefully that doesn't mean they are binning the meca-quartz as that is half the attraction for me.

Soldato
I received the same email :) Agreed, if the movement loses the mechanical drivetrain I'm not sure I'd be as interested. We shall see...

Now the question is what to get to slake my horological thirst in the meantime. I feel something from 70's Japan may be in order.

Soldato
Couple more shots, I love the articulated rubber bracelet, it's a work of art

my1u.jpg

og6f.jpg

Also a shot with some friends last night

n5xt.jpg

Associate
Can anyone point me to some watches of the more 'natural materials' kind?

I've considered getting something like a WeWood or some of the Nixons.. I'm just not sold yet.

I'm basically looking to replace my old fossil watch with something a bit nicer for around £200

Thank you. :)

Edit - I have a Tissot and a Rotary for work type stuff and one of those random Kit Kat Simpsons watches from the 80s if I get desperate. :p

Caporegime
Presumably you get why people will pay thousands for a set of good quality photos?

Extrapolate that idea to watches....

My thinking is that with something that has higher in price, there is a certain exclusivity.

£10 million for a Picasso, one of a kind.
£10 for a Casio, they are all the same.

Photos, as with art, it's by a certain person, so the exclusivity is with that 1 photographer, and if they are of you then it's one moment in time that you will never get back ever again, ever. Exclusivity in time and art. With prints, they are limited in numbers, those that are not and sold like posters and we all know how much posters costs.

£10,000 watch that anyone else with £10,000 can buy in any part of the world has neither the exclusivity, nor a limiting factor other than money. So if I am paying something that costs a lot more than another product that does the same thing I judge it with other criteria.

Cars, they all take you from a-b but some get you there quicker, some get you there in more comfort, some get you here with comfort and quicker. Some are more reliable, some looks prettier, some are more practical, some are less practical.

Watches - automatic ones. Due to the design, a Quartz is always more accurate. So the argument of a more expensive is more accurate is inapplicable. The only applicable argument is that it is the workmanship and art. A few pages back there was a post about Rolex and it's history and even talks about profit goes to charity.

History, if you buy a Rolex for history, why not buy a Seiko quartz for history? Seiko is not exactly a new company. In fact Seiko made the first ever Quartz so that's history and accuracy.

Charity, I don't buy a lottery ticket and convince myself I am doing the world a favour by saying half the money goes to charity, I buy the lottery ticket for the jackpot. So let's not kid ourselves here.

Art, as said before, pretty as it is, the fact that it is not a limited edition doesn't sit well with me. The only circumstance where I contemplate how a watch can be worth thousands is something like the milsub, that it was never released to the public and only 1200 ever made and the fact that it was issued by the Royal Navy means a lot were used in missions, training and lots were lost and damaged. So I do see in instances like that how they are sought after and valuable.

Workmanship, £10,000 and a rubber strap...sorry, no, just no. I'm sure there is an actual functioning reason, being able to dive 1000 metres, but for £10,000, I want diamond encrusted strap dammit, make no bones about it when spending that kind of money I am showing off, putting a rubbers strap on it is a giant contradiction.

Design, now we are talking, I would spend a little more for a design that I like, however, a chronograph is a chronograph, there is only so much you can change and at a glance, the watch doesn't scream expensive to me, I had to google how much that costs. I thought that was like £800.

P.s. The world record for the deepest dive is 318 metres so you'll be dead at 1,000m anyway.

See, don't get it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Workmanship, £10,000 and a rubber strap...sorry, no, just no. I'm sure there is an actual functioning reason, being able to dive 1000 metres, but for £10,000, I want diamond encrusted strap dammit, make no bones about it when spending that kind of money I am showing off, putting a rubbers strap on it is a giant contradiction.

If you are referring to my watch, it's actually a steel strap with rubber and if you think £10,000 is going to get you anything with diamonds on you are well off the mark.

Watches are a personal choice, there is no point trying to explain it as i'm sure you understand. It what makes you feel special, I thought about getting a Panerai but then looked back at my goal list and wanted to buy a JLC by the time I was 30 and I have done it 4 years early so to me that sense of achievement means everything when I put it on my wrist every morning.

Soldato
Sorry, but that JLC watch looks awful :( Certainly doesn't look the price tag you'll of paid in my eyes, the face looks like something out of Argos :p Maybe that's my cheaper side talking, each to their own entirely though! Enjoy!

Caporegime
My bad, I mentioned bracelet originally, quoting Raymond's ignorance must have rubbed off:p

It's not ignorance, i don't deny it cost that much, I know it cost that much and why, I just don't "buy" the reasoning behind it and thus in turn don't place that value on it. It's fine that you do and not saying even for a second it's a bad purchase.

It's just not for me.

*strap, bracket, whatever! it's still rubber. It should be at least titanium or something.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's not ignorance, i don't deny it cost that much, I know it cost that much and why, I just don't "buy" the reasoning behind it and thus in turn don't place that value on it. It's fine that you do and not saying even for a second it's a bad purchase.

It's just not for me.

woosh

(bracelet, not strap):)

Caporegime
£10,000 watch that anyone else with £10,000 can buy in any part of the world has neither the exclusivity, nor a limiting factor other than money. So if I am paying something that costs a lot more than another product that does the same thing I judge it with other criteria.

depends on the watch really - some can be made to order etc.. at that level

for example

http://www.dornblueth.com/

art/craftsmanship can be a factor.....

Back
Top Bottom