What watch do you wear?

Associate
Visited a couple of nice places in London over the weekend ostensibly looking for a dress watch. I've narrowed this down to either an A Lange & Sohne 1815 or IWC Mark VII (with a Nomos having a narrow outside chance). Sense is favoring the IWC at the moment... Out of the blue, though, I came across one of these:

1z2pqoh.png

It's a PAM00332 - a 2009 special edition of which only 500 were made. 44mm of PVD gorgeousness. I've hankered after a Panerai for a while, particularly a 505, but the 332 ticks every box. Unfortunately, I went off to think about it and now it's gone! If anyone can find one from a reputable source I would be eternally grateful!

Soldato
Visited a couple of nice places in London over the weekend ostensibly looking for a dress watch. I've narrowed this down to either an A Lange & Sohne 1815 or IWC Mark VII (with a Nomos having a narrow outside chance). Sense is favoring the IWC at the moment... Out of the blue, though, I came across one of these:

1z2pqoh.png

It's a PAM00332 - a 2009 special edition of which only 500 were made. 44mm of PVD gorgeousness. I've hankered after a Panerai for a while, particularly a 505, but the 332 ticks every box. Unfortunately, I went off to think about it and now it's gone! If anyone can find one from a reputable source I would be eternally grateful!

Hate you. :p

Caporegime
When I got mine the revised models weren't out :(

Seen this on Hodinkee though:

http://i.imgur.com/NMKKyeX.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-on-with-the-new-tissot-prc-200-a-swiss-automatic-chronograph-for-under-1000-live-pics-pricing[/url]

44mm :([/QUOTE]

Damn you and your wimpy arms.

Soldato
Thanks chaps, those Tissots are exactly the right kind of thing. I'll see what the high street carries. Alternatively I'm in London quite often, there must be some good watch shops there?

With automatic watches you obviously don't need to replace the batteries, but is that the only difference? Any difference in timekeeping compared to quartz? Or are they just for showing off ;)

Caporegime
Thanks chaps, those Tissots are exactly the right kind of thing. I'll see what the high street carries. Alternatively I'm in London quite often, there must be some good watch shops there?

With automatic watches you obviously don't need to replace the batteries, but is that the only difference? Any difference in timekeeping compared to quartz? Or are they just for showing off ;)

Automatic have the smooth sweeping action of the second hand, they charge as you wear them, if you leave it off, it'll go dead in 2-3 days.

Quartz means replacing the battery when it dies and you get a tick, tick, tick second hand motion.

I wouldn't pay big money for a quartz, purely due to the fact that the insides are so basic and cheap in comparison to similar money you could get an automatic, which is a much nicer, more professional looking movement and the insides are incredible feats of engineering.

I'm not an automatic snob, honest :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Automatic have the smooth sweeping action of the second hand, they charge as you wear them, if you leave it off, it'll go dead in 2-3 days.

Quartz means replacing the battery when it dies and you get a tick, tick, tick second hand motion.

I wouldn't pay big money for a quartz, purely due to the fact that the insides are so basic and cheap in comparison to similar money you could get an automatic, which is a much nicer, more professional looking movement and the insides are incredible feats of engineering.

I'm not an automatic snob, honest :p

The constant beating of an auto is also relaxing in a quiet room :)

Mine is audible enough in an office environment, I can hear it if my arm is not too far away from my face when working at a desk.

Quartz will be more accurate, there's no contest there. The PRC200 didn't lose a single second in the 10 months or so I had it. An auto will vary but -4 to +6seconds a day is what you should expect and most will settle over time anyway (or get worse!).

Soldato
What thickness is the strap? I managed to order a Hamilton butterfly clasp through the website I bought my hamilton from. I think it was something like £25.

what site was that, I have been on the look out for a deployment for my Hamilton

Mine has a double prong tang buckle, anyone know of any type of deployment that will fit into this?

Looking for one sort of like on my Tag Carrera, which 'clips' into one end, but I can't find any...

Associate
Im after a decent watch, don't know a lot about them.

I would like it to be open heart and automatic, what are the genuine sites I should be looking on. So far this one has caught my eye...

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/american-classic/jazzmaster/open-heart-auto/h32565555

I don't really know where to look though, once I find a couple I like I will go down to Birminghams jewellery quarter.

I say a budget of about £750 for the minute.

Any thought?

Associate
Im after a decent watch, don't know a lot about them.

I would like it to be open heart and automatic, what are the genuine sites I should be looking on. So far this one has caught my eye...

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/american-classic/jazzmaster/open-heart-auto/h32565555

I don't really know where to look though, once I find a couple I like I will go down to Birminghams jewellery quarter.

I say a budget of about £750 for the minute.

Any thought?

The one you like is £590, according to

http://www.spgreen.com/watches/Hamilton/Hamilton-Gents-Jazzmaster-Open-Heart-Automatic-H32565555

And they are based in the jewellery quarter. They do some quite nice brands as well.

Associate
The one you like is £590, according to

http://www.spgreen.com/watches/Hamilton/Hamilton-Gents-Jazzmaster-Open-Heart-Automatic-H32565555

And they are based in the jewellery quarter. They do some quite nice brands as well.

Yeah I got to that site through Hamiltons AD on there site. Ive seen it on a couple of sites and its the same price, i looked on ebay for a laugh and its £370 from USA. I take it thats a fake? Even 'grey market' wouldnt be that much cheaper would it?!?

Back
Top Bottom