What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Buy and Selling watches on eBay

Guys,

What are your general thoughts on buying and selling watches on eBay? Do you think its a good place? Or do you guys suggest other places? (Hope I'm not breaking any rules RE eBay?!)

I'm looking at selling my Mondaine Chronograph and thinking about buying a Fortis B-42 from the bay. The Fortis is located in Canada, I'm in two minds!!

Thoughts?

Caporegime
I bought this on the 17th December after I kept looking at it through the shop window on about 5 different occasions.

VERY Jealous :)
Congrats.

Soldato
lol I have slowed down... a lot. I get shouted at.

You can pick up some bargains but have to keep your eye out and be prepared to get a duff one as well. Do your homework on them etc.

I picked up a nice Longines Conquest Quartz for c.200 and sold it here for 650CHF or 430quid. Then you get some **** too.

Man of Honour
I bought a jlc reverso on ebay and was bricking it. It needed a service but was legit. Personally i am more comfortable on sites like tz where the market is self policing

Soldato
lol I have slowed down... a lot. I get shouted at.

You can pick up some bargains but have to keep your eye out and be prepared to get a duff one as well. Do your homework on them etc.

I picked up a nice Longines Conquest Quartz for c.200 and sold it here for 650CHF or 430quid. Then you get some **** too.

I fear I might get shouted at but I think I've found an absolute bargain for a Limited Edition watch. I'm now concerned about Import duty and Import VAT etc. I note that you live in France but does anyone have any experience with this in the UK?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Completely depends on the mood of customs really/shipping company. I've had big box imports and been charged no import tax yet a small box containing CD cases was subjected to it. Other times they let electronics pass by without a single invoice.

FedEx are notorious for import tax mostly from experience regardless of package size/contents.

Last edited:
Soldato
Completely depends on the mood of customs really/shipping company. I've had big box imports and been charged no import tax yet a small box containing CD cases was. Other times they let electronics pass by without a single invoice.

FedEx are notorious for import tax mostly from experience regardless of package size/contents.

Its coming from Canada using Canadain post, I'm guessing I might be lucky. If now, is there a simple way of working out how much Import tax and duty I might pay? I've tried looking but its an absolute nightmare on the website. I've no idea how to work it out!

Soldato
Yea, I agree. Sometimes you get away with it. FedEx always rape me on import tax asking for cash at the door! :/

If it's a private sale though, you can get them to send a gift if they will, or a low value too. Again, it's another risk though.

Soldato
Yea, I agree. Sometimes you get away with it. FedEx always rape me on import tax asking for cash at the door! :/

If it's a private sale though, you can get them to send a gift if they will, or a low value too. Again, it's another risk though.

How would that work with insurance etc? I guess you could ask them to fill in the customs decoration differently from the insurance value?

Associate
So tried the Rolex and loved it. Gonna buy one this year for definate, but in the meantime and to tide over the watch urge... I bought this!

I wanted a diver watch, something i could use as an everyday tool "beater" watch. Tried really hard to source a BR Hydromax but failed, so instead bought a Sinn UX SDR on metal bracelet.

For the unintiated, its a dive watch certified to 5,000m depth (i.e. a lot!) and its filled with teflon oil not air, so the face looks completely readable even at odd angles and sunlight due to the refraction of the oil. The watch is also made from "submarine steel" which has been hardened. The sub steel is basically steel which Sinn have sourced from the factory and to the same spec as that used to build german subs. Its a quartz movement though, but for good reason; a mechanical movement wouldnt be strong enough to move the hands in the oil.

Obligatory pics (not mine)
11834932695_c588795be5_z.jpg

11835448174_927a4a4eb9_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom