What watch do you wear?

Soldato
How good are replica watches these days? Just a curiosity question more than anything after seeing it mentioned on the last page.

The ones I saw in Nam when I was there last year were very very good, just feared that they'd stop working two months after I left! :(

Associate
How good are replica watches these days? Just a curiosity question more than anything after seeing it mentioned on the last page.

I bought an exact replica Rolex GMT II. It looks and feels like a genuine one. Cost me a couple of hundred quid. It has a serial number and even a rolex sign etched into the crystal near 6oclock.

After 2 days the seconds hand came loose so I took it to a watch repair shop. They wanted to charge me Rolex repair price to fix it then once I told them it was a replica told me to jog on (as expected really)

Seriously, I'd only ever buy a good fake watch now if I needed a cheap way of replacing a strap. The actual watches are junk.

goyx.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys, i'm looking for a half decent watch for around £250 - £300. Not quite sure what all the good brands are etc. Does anyone have any recommendations for this price range?

Permabanned

Just wasting your money, if you cannot or do not want to afford the real thing then get a quality watch at a more reasonable price point.

Soldato
I like that Seiko Sportura SDK!

I fancied something with a classic feel to it, a dressy dress watch. I went for the Orient Bambino after reading a review that sucked me right in.

It arrived today and does not disappoint. It's a little too large to be completely classical looking, but it is stunning. The domed glass is just incredible, it gives it such a unique 'popping' look! I can't stop looking at it! It's another watch by Orient that blows me away for the price paid. I have some serious love for Orient.

Orient recently released an updated Bambino. It's cluttered mess IMO. Long live the old Bambino I say!

Orient-Bambino-in-a-box.jpg

Orient-Bambino-Wearing.jpg

It's been a very good day as also my Super Oyster 22mm bracelet arrived in the post from Canada today, finally I can ditch the rubber strap on my Seiko SKX007J, rubber straps are evil.

After some swearing (first time using a springbar removal tool) I got it on.

It is lovely! There are countless reviews about this bracelet. They aren't kidding how well it has been machined. Beautiful!

SKX007J_22mmOyster.jpg

SKX007J_22mmOyster_BW.jpg

Soldato
Just wasting your money, if you cannot or do not want to afford the real thing then get a quality watch at a more reasonable price point.

I have a few watches around the £100 -£200 mark, a rotary dress watch,a timberland every day watch, a seiko chronograph, a diesel and a police watch, ive seen a Jorg Hysec Abyss explorer replica for £333 and in my opinion, it's possibly the best looking watch I've ever seen lol. Subjective I know.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The only downside to bracelets being worn every day for work and play.

rps20140110_153739_405.jpg

All the more reason to brushed finish finish it all or bead blast :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Really like that. very clean look.

Cheers. It really is a fantastic watch, a lot of watch for your money. The rubber strap that it came with won't ever be going back on, the custom bracelet shall be staying on for the duration of ownership. The additional weight of the custom bracelet is noticeable. :D

I'm thinking about swapping the bracelet on my orange Orient Mako and giving it to my black Orient Ray, as I've got plans for my orange Mako; I think it will look great on a black leather strap with orange trim & stitching. Shall see!

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Thing is leathers look best when they curve at the end so fills the gap around the lugs - You can't get non OEM straps that curve from what I've seen :(

Not good ones anyway.

Associate
Thing is leathers look best when they curve at the end so fills the gap around the lugs - You can't get non OEM straps that curve from what I've seen :(

Not good ones anyway.

Hirsch do a large range of curved ended leather straps - and they're excellent quality.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hirsch do a large range of curved ended leather straps - and they're excellent quality.

^Oh wow so they do, when getting the Hirsch Carbon I didn't even see those - How good is the curved fit though, too wide/tight around the case curve?

I had a go at DIY brush finishing on the clasp bit and the result is very nice. Tried the clasp bit first as that's not visible when worn so if it messes up it's no big deal. Took about an hour just to do the clasp, a lot of work so doing each glossy centre link will take several hours.

Result:
brushed_1.jpg
(All of that was polished stock)

Also removed some of the more visible clasp scratches:
brushed_2.jpg

Soldato
I fancied something with a classic feel to it, a dressy dress watch. I went for the Orient Bambino after reading a review that sucked me right in.

It arrived today and does not disappoint. It's a little too large to be completely classical looking, but it is stunning. The domed glass is just incredible, it gives it such a unique 'popping' look! I can't stop looking at it! It's another watch by Orient that blows me away for the price paid. I have some serious love for
My Bambino also turned up today and like yourself I'm really impressed with it considering how much they cost. Lovely simple understated piece and the first watch in my little collection to have a white face so something different.

Soldato
My Bambino also turned up today and like yourself I'm really impressed with it considering how much they cost. Lovely simple understated piece and the first watch in my little collection to have a white face so something different.

It's such a nice piece isn't it. I'm surprised that they aren't more popular really, too many are blinded by the Makos perhaps ;).

There's a real elegance about it, the face, hands and the domed glass is the icing on the cake.

I'm quickly learning that I get big satisfaction from owning a collection of watches that look great and have a reliable movement that doesn't cost the earth. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom