What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Only a few months, sadly.

Too late for photos, as it is boxed up and wrapped to go. As for version, it's the same as yours I think, check my previous posts in this thread for photos.

My flat mate has a Longines (not sure on exact model off the top of my head), but the clasp on hers has broken already (under a year old). It still works so she hasn't bothered getting it fixed, but it's not properly working. Disappointing really, and slightly putting me off their range

kd

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
They have different clasps depending on the size and model of the watch itself - Hence why I wanted to know more details about Richdog's one on how and where it broke since my bracelet has been removed and put back on countless times as I swap with a leather strap every so often and it still functions like new with no looseness.

It shouldn't put anyone off any watch though, these things happen from time to time if there's no user error. I know someone here with a broken Rolex bezel. A work colleague has had his Seamaster bracelet clasp replaced multiple times... It happens.

Last edited:
Soldato
I want something PAM shaped in my life, however, I am not appropriately financially equipped for this to happen. So, I have been looking at homage watches, but this brings with it a problem. None of the homage watches I can find are very well made. The bits don't fit together very well, they lack details and the quality to enable water resistance modifications etc.

So, I've been lead down a different path. The path of replica watches. Now, before you pooh pooh this idea, look here:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=150417

You can buy an almost indistinguishable replica of a Lumimor 000 for about 150 notes. This replica fulfills build quality requirements which the homage watches simply do not. The reason for this is the homage watches don't need to be as near to as good as the real thing as possible, as they're not trying to fool anybody. Most of the homage watches are produced in factories that also fit fake branded dials and movements to produce low rent replicas anyway so you could argue that a homage is as bad as a fake anyway. The quality replica manufacturers do not sideline in homages either, so there's no choice but to either buy a fake of buy nothing.

My thinking at the moment is to buy a high quality replica, see how it goes and perhaps fit a homage dial if I start feeling too uncomfortable wearing a fake.

/flamesuit on

Last edited:
Soldato
My (difficult to obtain) Blue Orient Ray arrived today from the US.

The face is pretty amazing, it has a rich blue depth about it. In certain light it can look black, and then a slight change in angle and the face reflects this amazing deep blue sweeping light. I think it's a really impressive finish on a watch of this price. I'm not surprised it's kinda hard to get a hold of this one.

Orient-Ray-Blue-BW-Mix.jpg

Really like the look of this. Where did you get it from if you dont mind me asking. I fancy it as my new daily watch. Its in quite a few US websites but all out of stock. Can find a German seller but they want £200 for it, which the out of stock US ones were more like £100.

Soldato
Don't waste money on a blatant fake with Panerai on the dial. There are plenty of "homages" available that have superb build quality that'll rival or better any fake.

Have a look at the Timefactors PRS 20 or Parnis Marina Militaire.

http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

http://parniswatch.com/showpro.asp?articleid=2001

when i get my homage im going to buy from here.

http://www.siswatch727.com/index.do

watchuseek has a huge thread on the homages and this one comes up trumps rather a lot.

here is another place a lot seem to buy from http://www.manbushijie.com/

Soldato
Really like the look of this. Where did you get it from if you dont mind me asking. I fancy it as my new daily watch. Its in quite a few US websites but all out of stock. Can find a German seller but they want £200 for it, which the out of stock US ones were more like £100.

Unfortunately the blue Ray (especially with stainless steel bracelet) is very difficult to get a hold of right now. As you've discovered; most sites that have it in stock are charging a ridiculous amount.

I got mine from Amazon, an American seller called Watches ETC, they only had a quantity of 2, I bagged one and the other one quickly went out of stock. Paid £101 inc delivery, delivered in 3 days.

I've been scoping out for a blue Ray for a couple of weeks. The Blue models of the Ray and Mako do seem to be more sort after. It's just a case of being patient. You might find stock of a Blue Ray on a rubber strap, I personally don't like the rubber straps that Orient provide, but you could change it.

Soldato
I've looked at all the homage brands I can find for Luminor style watches, and whilst they look good, I have read that the case quality is not as good as the actual replica watches. This goes for Jacksontse, getat, davidsen, Parnis et al.

At the moment I can still see me going for a good replica seeing as once you spec up one of the homage 'brands', the cost is getting on for that of a top drawer fake of better quality anyway.

Soldato
I've looked at all the homage brands I can find for Luminor style watches, and whilst they look good, I have read that the case quality is not as good as the actual replica watches. This goes for Jacksontse, getat, davidsen, Parnis et al.

At the moment I can still see me going for a good replica seeing as once you spec up one of the homage 'brands', the cost is getting on for that of a top drawer fake of better quality anyway.

there is so much fail in this post it hurts :(

Soldato
Unfortunately the blue Ray (especially with stainless steel bracelet) is very difficult to get a hold of right now. As you've discovered; most sites that have it in stock are charging a ridiculous amount.

I got mine from Amazon, an American seller called Watches ETC, they only had a quantity of 2, I bagged one and the other one quickly went out of stock. Paid £101 inc delivery, delivered in 3 days.

I've been scoping out for a blue Ray for a couple of weeks. The Blue models of the Ray and Mako do seem to be more sort after. It's just a case of being patient. You might find stock of a Blue Ray on a rubber strap, I personally don't like the rubber straps that Orient provide, but you could change it.

Yeah, plenty of ones with rubber straps. They look awful though. Ill have to see if I can source the metal strap separately.

Don
Bought a case to keep the Panerai in, the standard box is too big to use all the time and my autos are in a winder

Superbly made for about 20 quid, missus questioned the spare slot, told her I would have to nip to the shop then :p

hvtu.jpg

mhok.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Pbx9rV1.jpg

T5gmGBj.jpg

It arrived this afternoon and so far has exceeded what I was expecting for £80. Looks quite retro head on but from an angle the domed glass gives it a different edge.

Back
Top Bottom