What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Anyone interested in the Blue Ray. They are available on the bay with the rubber strap for less than £100 and the SS strap can be had for less than £15 delivered.

Soldato
Well whilst i was out of country my Nite MX10 finally gave up, well the watch is working fine but the strap gave up and the screws are mangled making changing the strap a bloody nightmare, it did me good, and put up with a hell of a lot of punishment.

So i decided to get something new, made the most of tax free awesomeness and bought a Traser P6508 Code blue, I was quite apprehensive about buying a watch made of composites, i normally prefer the a hefty lump of durable metal on my wrist but I really like it, unfortunately the dial glass dosnt appear to be quite a resilient as the MX10, already put a pretty deep small scratch onto the face right near the centre, but i suppose it just adds character, the sand out here is seriously abrasive it was bound to happen at some point.

2014-01-15180720_zps0c827b63.jpg

Man of Honour
I've looked at all the homage brands I can find for Luminor style watches, and whilst they look good, I have read that the case quality is not as good as the actual replica watches. This goes for Jacksontse, getat, davidsen, Parnis et al.

At the moment I can still see me going for a good replica seeing as once you spec up one of the homage 'brands', the cost is getting on for that of a top drawer fake of better quality anyway.

:(

Soldato
I've looked at all the homage brands I can find for Luminor style watches, and whilst they look good, I have read that the case quality is not as good as the actual replica watches. This goes for Jacksontse, getat, davidsen, Parnis et al.

At the moment I can still see me going for a good replica seeing as once you spec up one of the homage 'brands', the cost is getting on for that of a top drawer fake of better quality anyway.

There is no such thing as a "good replica".

Do you drive an MR2 with an Ferrari F355 body kit on it?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I agree, the rubber Orient straps look cack.

I think the blue Ray would look stunning on a brown leather strap. That could be an option?

Congrats on the Bambino mrk!

The dome is as thick as the watch itself!

rps20140117_084822_717.jpg

Not sure how nice the blue Ray would look on a brown strap though, perhaps a blue tanned one instead?

Soldato
I have an automatic watch that I don't wear every day, so it predictably stops after a day or so. I then have to wind it up and set the time when I want to wear it.

This in itself is no big deal to me, but I am keen on extending its life as best I can, and I've read that if you leave them to sit while not operating it can cause problems over their lifetime.

Is this true? Shall I bother with a watch winder? They're not particularly expensive for a bog-standard one from Amazon that seemingly reviews well, but if the tales of watch movements congealing or seizing or whatever is a load of bunkum, then I shan't bother.

Soldato
There is no such thing as a "good replica".

Do you drive an MR2 with an Ferrari F355 body kit on it?

You know what I mean - something well made. The general consensus is that the better fakes are better put together than the homage watches, having better fit and finish.

I don't care what brand is on the dial, I'm quite happy for it to be sterile if the rest of the watch is well put together. It is however, seemingly very difficult to get hold of the casing from a replica and have someone build a watch around it. I'm not too averse to the idea of fitting a different dial myself.

There's also no valid argument about buying homage watches over fakes anyway, as most, if not all PAM homage cases are used to produce replica watches.

Oh, and my car has 3 Pininfarina badges on it - no joke.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have an automatic watch that I don't wear every day, so it predictably stops after a day or so. I then have to wind it up and set the time when I want to wear it.

This in itself is no big deal to me, but I am keen on extending its life as best I can, and I've read that if you leave them to sit while not operating it can cause problems over their lifetime.

Is this true? Shall I bother with a watch winder? They're not particularly expensive for a bog-standard one from Amazon that seemingly reviews well, but if the tales of watch movements congealing or seizing or whatever is a load of bunkum, then I shan't bother.

A watch will need periodic servicing to renew oils whether or not it is in use / on a winder. Many make the case that a watch that is wound less frequently also needs its oils renewed less often (an anti winder case if you will). Use a winder if you want the convenience of your watch being readY to pick up and go but don't bother if this is the argument. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
My winder / massive unit storage thing is still in our US office... I got it posted there as he wouldn't ship to me. I have slyly asking the office manager if she'd be able to ship it through work here, which she's finding out about but I feel she is a bit to "by the books" to ship it out. :( I WANTS!

Pretty sure it's something massive like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Quality...532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7ad4b5bc

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I ordered a Klarstein St.Gallen-Deux winder in the end because of the 4 mode function and quiet operation reviews. I don't know how much authenticity there is to claims that

A) Using a winder can damage some movements if they only wind in one direction and not switch at intervals.
or
B) Not using a winder causes movements to seize up over time - How? Watches are stored in warehouses and shelves for weeks on end and then sold to buyer and we've not heard of major problems .... :p

Back
Top Bottom