What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
Watch Box turned up today from Germany.

Surprisingly it's very good quality, I know there is a lot of tat around when it comes to budget watch boxes but this is very good and far exceeds my expectations for £44 delivered. Glass window, solid box design and the materials used inside and outside of very decent.

I was going to hold this purchase off, but as my collection is rapidly growing I needed somewhere to safely store my precious's. ;)

I'm already thinking about what to fill the bottom right compartment with.. but shhhh. ;)

Slide out the draw below and another 10 compartments appear!

I'll probably use one of these compartments for cufflinks. It's a close fit in this draw, if you have a watch that has a particularly thick case it'll struggle to fit.

Overall a great watchbox![/QUOTE]

Any chance of a link? I would like to buy one of those

Associate
Anything that makes it look like it's not just sitting there tends to work well, so trying to get the strap done up standing on its own (this is pita as it keeps falling over!) - In the end I found a small bit of blutack on one end under the strap where it's standing on the worktop allowed it to not slowly topple over. Then just bounce your flashgun off a wall not directly from above else you'll get too direct lighting and bounce light off the glass a bit too much and get enough reflection to show most of the watch anyway.

I just trial and error and just use what looks cool most times :p The below was one I didn't upload but for ref:

I wasn't shooting it for technical merit, more "well this will be a cool photo" ;)

But just for you, less reflection!

Mrk, very nice shots - if you really want to kill the reflections try using a Polarising filter on your camera, that will tone down the glare.

You've also committed the cardinal sin of watch photography - always set the hands to 10 minutes past 10 :)

Oh btw if you want to see how a professional does it take a look at the video at this page on Gizmodo.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/01/its-amazing-how-much-retouching-goes-into-even-a-rolex-photo/

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Mrk, very nice shots - if you really want to kill the reflections try using a Polarising filter on your camera, that will tone down the glare.

You've also committed the cardinal sin of watch photography - always set the hands to 10 minutes past 10 :)

Oh btw if you want to see how a professional does it take a look at the video at this page on Gizmodo.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/01/its-amazing-how-much-retouching-goes-into-even-a-rolex-photo/

Ah seen saw that tha other day :p

As said though, was more "cool watch photo" than actual watch photography :)

Soldato
I'm actually not a fan of that type of sales image, looks more like a CG render than an actual photo. Where as the photos above from Mrk/2StepSteve really have depth and make the watches pop.

I'm positive so many of the cheaper (but good quality) watch brands could improve their image with better sales photography.

Soldato
1531f5ba807b11e3a66f0edad18fb51a_8.jpg

Love this little case!

Soldato
There's also no valid argument about buying homage watches over fakes anyway, as most, if not all PAM homage cases are used to produce replica watches.

You hit the nail right on the head there.

I used to be into the rep watches big time from around 2005 to 2009, and most of the sellers (including Davidsen) could sell you the same watch with a sterile dial no problem.

Soldato
i really dislike my wrists strapped in leather/crocodile/rubber/metal etc how can anyone stand this feeling? anyone who wears a watch is just a complete and utter tollerante to wrist bondage, ooo eerr

clocks are evernywhere watches are'nt needed, for me anyway.

Soldato
i really dislike my wrists strapped in leather/crocodile/rubber/metal etc how can anyone stand this feeling? anyone who wears a watch is just a complete and utter tollerante to wrist bondage, ooo eerr

clocks are evernywhere watches are'nt needed, for me anyway.

When I first started wearing a watch when I was 10 or so, it felt weird to start with. You clearly have no commitment and you need to put the time in. ;)

Jokes aside - Occasionally I forget to put a watch on in the mornings and it bugs me when this happens. It feels wrong to not be wearing a watch.

While we are on the subject. My idea of why I wear a watch has changed a lot recently. I used to like owning a watch to tell the exact time, it needed to be precise and totally accurate or else what's the point. A few years ago the very idea of owning a mechanical which inherently is no where near 100% accurate would horrify me. Any watch that was in my collection had to be at least a quartz, preferably it needed to be synced with an atomic clock via radio.

But recently it has all changed a lot. It's now not about knowing the precise time. I enjoy owning this 'living' thing, no silent cold digital workings going on here, you can place your ear to it and hear it work. I find it kinda amazing and fascinating. I don't care that it may lose 10 seconds a day.

I don't wear any jewellery as such, but I do treat my watches as jewellery.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm currently torn between two!

It was my 40th birthday last month and I wanted a nice watch to mark the occasion, but couldn't really stretch to the Tissot Racing Touch I've been eyeing for some time!!

So I'm now looking at two different watches from Creation Watches (I think MRK is too blame)...

I like the basic looks and functions of the http://www.creationwatches.com/products/orient-watches-252/orient-diver-automatic-fem6500am9-mens-watch-3052.html at £78

Or doubling that for...

A bit more function and bulk, with the http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-chronograph-watches-63/seiko-solar-chronograph-divers-ssc019p1-ssc019p-ssc019-mens-watch-3210.html at £134

I really like both, but can only afford one! Is the Seiko worth nearly twice the Orient (I know its Solar and has a Chrono etc...)

What do you guys think??? I might do an 'ippy dippy' after payday!! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally prefer the Seiko (even more if it was non-chrono)

How big are your wrists as one watch is 42mm and one 47mm

It could look like a plate lashed to your arm unless you have an appropriately sized limb :D

Back
Top Bottom